The Microsoft Tablet

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Memebag, yes I'm aware of that fact, however windows 8 metro apps will run in either arm or Intel as I understand it. It includes remote desktop so I can remote into my x86 if I want to run an app on there.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Memebag, yes I'm aware of that fact, however windows 8 metro apps will run in either arm or Intel as I understand it. It includes remote desktop so I can remote into my x86 if I want to run an app on there.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

"Metro" has been removed from the lexicon. They are Windows RT apps now. Those apps (compiled to ARM) can be run on Windows 8 (the Intel one) in an emulator.

(iPads and Android tablets have remote desktop, too.)

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
"Metro" has been removed from the lexicon. They are Windows RT apps now. Those apps (compiled to ARM) can be run on Windows 8 (the Intel one) in an emulator.

(iPads and Android tablets have remote desktop, too.)

I know metro was removed, not sure what else to call it, but you get my point. The point is developers can target metro and it will run on either platform. That's a big advantage for software developers.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Remember, this is a Windows RT product. You will only be able to run apps built for Windows RT, not regular Windows 8 apps. They will look very similar, but under the covers there is a whole different CPU and instruction set.

That is a very good point. I think the Windows 8 PRO edition is due later. Either later or at same time as NT but I do not think they have released pricing on the PRO edition.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I know metro was removed, not sure what else to call it, but you get my point. The point is developers can target metro and it will run on either platform. That's a big advantage for software developers.

All indications from most techno blogs is that MS is having a tough time convincing developers to jump on board. Many of them are being very cautious to go this route, because next year MS might pull the plug on the whole thing if it doesn't catch on.

Like you guys I am hopeful that it does well. I think the more players the better!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
All indications from most techno blogs is that MS is having a tough time convincing developers to jump on board. Many of them are being very cautious to go this route, because next year MS might pull the plug on the whole thing if it doesn't catch on.

Like you guys I am hopeful that it does well. I think the more players the better!

Self fulfilling prophecy.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

You can call them Windows RT apps; that seems to be what Microsoft is calling them now.

As a software developer, I'll wait and see how successful the emulation is and how successful the hardware is. No point targeting a tablet that no one owns, and making an app work well with a mouse and a touchscreen is non-trivial.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You can call them Windows RT apps; that seems to be what Microsoft is calling them now.

As a software developer, I'll wait and see how successful the emulation is and how successful the hardware is. No point targeting a tablet that no one owns, and making an app work well with a mouse and a touchscreen is non-trivial.

And there is the problem!!! How many are sitting on the sidelines waiting just like you are and that could very well be the one thing that kills it. Not blaming you, I get it what you are saying and even agree, but that is what MS is having to deal with being this late to the game.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It isn't just that they are late to the game; it's the whole idea that desktop and mobile hardware should share a user interface. We interact with them in very different ways, so trying to unify the interface seems questionable.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It isn't just that they are late to the game; it's the whole idea that desktop and mobile hardware should share a user interface. We interact with them in very different ways, so trying to unify the interface seems questionable.

In 10 years Apple will unify the destop, tablet and phone and be called Geniuses. It may be an idea too far ahead of it's time.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008

I was skeptical too, and my first impression of Windows 8 was a bit like a fish out of water because I thought you needed to do everything from the new interface. But then I figured out the desktop paradigm, the interface formerly known as metro is really just a fancy start menu. I'm typing this from winows 8, and running chrome, just like I did with Windows 7. It's actually a great desktop operating system once you realize you have all the power of Windows 7, plus this whole new world of applications. You can use as much or as little of the new metro apps/interface. Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, you feel your power growing above what you had with Windows 7. Right now I spend most of my time in the traditional windows desktop environment but use the start menu just like before, to search and launch apps.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
There's a pretty cool video of the making of the surface on this article. The entire article is a good read for those that are into what it takes to make a world class product:
Under the Surface: an inside look at how Microsoft's tablet came to be | The Verge

The surface is so sturdy, Microsoft attached 4 wheels to it and Stephen Sinofshky rode it like a skateboard:
http://mashable.com/2012/10/17/microsoft-surface-skateboard/

I appreciate this kind of quality in a product.

https://twitter.com/stevesi/status/258304210272133120

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There's a pretty cool video of the making of the surface on this article. The entire article is a good read for those that are into what it takes to make a world class product:
Under the Surface: an inside look at how Microsoft's tablet came to be | The Verge

The surface is so sturdy, Microsoft attached 4 wheels to it and Stephen Sinofshky rode it like a skateboard:
http://mashable.com/2012/10/17/microsoft-surface-skateboard/

I appreciate this kind of quality in a product.

https://twitter.com/stevesi/status/258304210272133120

That's pretty damned sweet!

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Looks like surface pre-orders have sold out in all packages. If you really want one on Launch day, you have the option to go to a Microsoft store from now until the day before launch an get a reservation ticket to guarantee you get one on launch day in the store. The catch is you have to bring your reservation ticket by noon on launch day to make sure you get it.

That sounds like a nice option, no standing in line over night, just get a ticket and show up when the store opens.

Initial Surface US pre-orders sold out, some UK orders delayed to November 2nd | The Verge

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Looks like surface pre-orders have sold out in all packages. If you really want one on Launch day, you have the option to go to a Microsoft store from now until the day before launch an get a reservation ticket to guarantee you get one on launch day in the store. The catch is you have to bring your reservation ticket by noon on launch day to make sure you get it.

That sounds like a nice option, no standing in line over night, just get a ticket and show up when the store opens.

Initial Surface US pre-orders sold out, some UK orders delayed to November 2nd | The Verge

No they need to be making people stand in line for a week so news medias will cover it and make it their lead news story. This tickets and pre-orders don't generate the same hype.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
No they need to be making people stand in line for a week so news medias will cover it and make it their lead news story. This tickets and pre-orders don't generate the same hype.

Alternatively - when people aren't sleeping in front of Microsoft stores (which I've never heard of) they can point to the tickets as an explanation.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Alternatively - when people aren't sleeping in front of Microsoft stores (which I've never heard of) they can point to the tickets as an explanation.

Boring news "I have a ticket". No coverage. Nobody will care. Therefore poor marketing. I bet they don't even line up and clap when they open the store doors.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Most of the stores are in malls, so it's hard to camp out there. Plus by having people get a ticket and show up before noon, they do have a chance of having a line at the open. I'm sure they will have cameras at the ready to feed the press :)