The Microsoft Tablet

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
For those that want ports, they have never been forced to buy Apple, though other than an Mac Mini I never bought an Apple computer without a keyboard. If you want a mouse with more buttons you could get one, which is what most Apple users did. I find the magic mouse and track pad does everything I need.

There is little doubt that Apple is all about the profit, which is what a company in business should be about.

This as opposed to so many though not all manufactures selling intel Celeron PC's with crappy wired mouse with a roller ball in them and keyboards that the keys are so loose you can barely type on them. This is what in your mind Manco adding value? They sell folks this junk and I guess that is okay.

Did you see how many billions MS made last year with their OS and Office Suit? For the first time they are actually going to sell upgrades for a very low price because of folks like Apple that while they make a lot of their OS, practically give away the software especially when compared to MS. Besides that MS knows that enterprise thus far is just not interested in Windows 8.

I could go on and hit you on every single bullet point you wrote, but since we are trying hard for this not to turn into a MS vs Apple thread. I'll leave it there.

MS makes fine products and they do so for a profit. The only reason Apple has made some much profit is because they have better marketing and better ability via manufacturing to buy parts at lower cost and they sell volume. Apple has been smart to leverage their buying power to get the cost of building their designs as cheap as possible, but at a very high quality. High quality doesn't mean perfect.

If you don't think companies like Dell, HP and MS are all about profits, you are very naive my friend. The fact is that Apple gained market share in the worse economy since the great depression while many PC manufactures have lost share and many of them are trying to reinvent themselves just as Apple did many years ago.

I hardly agree on many of Apple inner working, but today my life is all about ease of use and convenience. That is what Apple has given me and YES, I've paid a price for it. Now does that mean Windows PC's are all junk, absolutely NOT. But the bottom line is you can't site one company for being so horribly profit driven and yet give MS and these other guys a pass as you see to want to do. At least be like Fox News Bro pretend to be fair and balanced. hehehehe

Android is finally making some progress in tablets. In fact I picked up a Nexus just today and guess what NO PORTS! Google is trying to push is all to give up our ports, look out! LOL

Ports aren't important because Apple says they aren't. Keyboards weren't important because Apple said they weren't. Mice with two buttons weren't important because Apple thought better. The reality is Apple doesn't add them most likely for the following reasons:
1) It adds cost which reduces their profit. They don't pass this cost savings on to you the consumer, they simply profit more.
2) It extends the life of their product if you can buy an entry level one, and simply upgrades it's storage. This also reduced their profit.
3) It allows them to charge more for the internal memory than you can purchase it yourself if it were upgradable.
4) It's harder to support external devices, more R&D spent, more testing, more customer issues.
5) Customer support will then need to get involved in every kind of problem that may be related to a 3rd party device that doesn't work right.

The bottom line is Apple does what is right for Apple, and sells it well so that people don't care if it has less expansion fewer features and actually costs more. Their profits speak for themselves.

I personally do not like on the fact I can't load all of the music I care about on my devices except a laptop. I find myself managing my music rather than just enjoying it. Why should I have to do that if I can simply purchase enough extra storage to keep it with me?

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is my mouse.

I have a few of them. But I'm not compensating for anything. It's just a great mouse. ;)

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
For those that want ports, they have never been forced to buy Apple, though other than an Mac Mini I never bought an Apple computer without a keyboard. If you want a mouse with more buttons you could get one, which is what most Apple users did. I find the magic mouse and track pad does everything I need.

There is little doubt that Apple is all about the profit, which is what a company in business should be about.

This as opposed to so many though not all manufactures selling intel Celeron PC's with crappy wired mouse with a roller ball in them and keyboards that the keys are so loose you can barely type on them. This is what in your mind Manco adding value? They sell folks this junk and I guess that is okay.

Did you see how many billions MS made last year with their OS and Office Suit? For the first time they are actually going to sell upgrades for a very low price because of folks like Apple that while they make a lot of their OS, practically give away the software especially when compared to MS. Besides that MS knows that enterprise thus far is just not interested in Windows 8.

I could go on and hit you on every single bullet point you wrote, but since we are trying hard for this not to turn into a MS vs Apple thread. I'll leave it there.

MS makes fine products and they do so for a profit. The only reason Apple has made some much profit is because they have better marketing and better ability via manufacturing to buy parts at lower cost and they sell volume. Apple has been smart to leverage their buying power to get the cost of building their designs as cheap as possible, but at a very high quality. High quality doesn't mean perfect.

If you don't think companies like Dell, HP and MS are all about profits, you are very naive my friend. The fact is that Apple gained market share in the worse economy since the great depression while many PC manufactures have lost share and many of them are trying to reinvent themselves just as Apple did many years ago.

I hardly agree on many of Apple inner working, but today my life is all about ease of use and convenience. That is what Apple has given me and YES, I've paid a price for it. Now does that mean Windows PC's are all junk, absolutely NOT. But the bottom line is you can't site one company for being so horribly profit driven and yet give MS and these other guys a pass as you see to want to do. At least be like Fox News Bro pretend to be fair and balanced. hehehehe

Android is finally making some progress in tablets. In fact I picked up a Nexus just today and guess what NO PORTS! Google is trying to push is all to give up our ports, look out! LOL

Were you drunk for this post? It is almost unreadable!

Reactions: memebag

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Few typos here and there after a long exhausting day and I was rambling too. I know that surprises you! hehehe

Yeah, I assumed it was just exhaustion but thought a drunk assumption was funnier.

Do you really think that MS is aware that Enterprises won't adopt Windows 8? I'd hope they do but I can't understand why they would put out an OS that alienates a big part of their market.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I assumed it was just exhaustion but thought a drunk assumption was funnier.

Do you really think that MS is aware that Enterprises won't adopt Windows 8? I'd hope they do but I can't understand why they would put out an OS that alienates a big part of their market.

They have done that before *cough* vista *cough* so it probably doesn't concern them. Our enterprise is still running XP.

I don't see enterprises switching en-masse to MACs anytime soon.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

Just buy what you like. I like having HDMI out and a MicroSD card slot. Most people don't. I'm not most people. I like choice,options and customization . Not everyone does. I just don't get what the big deal is? You do or you don't.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I watch a lot of tech shows and most all the windows guru's seem to feel that this version of windows is a consumer version and that it won't be till version 9 before MS refines it enough to interest enterprise. I don't know for sure from a personal perspective, but I don't see enterprise interested in having a mobile interface, though I have read that can be turned off.

I don't see enterprises switching en-masse to MACs anytime soon.

Very true, I think some have switched to Mac, but only in certain business categories. For the most part though enterprise will just keep that money in their budgets and wait it out as they have done with XP. I know many that are still using XP that never upgraded to Win 7. I think the stats I seen was that the adoption rate for Window 7 was under 60%.

Just buy what you like. I like having HDMI out and a MicroSD card slot. Most people don't. I'm not most people. I like choice,options and customization . Not everyone does. I just don't get what the big deal is? You do or you don't.

That is my take on it, get what works for you and if a certain brand or model doesn't offer what you want, then don't buy it. What's the point of briar beating one brand over another or saying that one company is nothing, but about profit when we all know they are ALL about profit. I have always said I use Apple because for ME it makes my life easier and my experience is better. I am sure there are others that feel the same about Windows and that is good too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Very true, I think some have switched to Mac, but only in certain business categories. For the most part though enterprise will just keep that money in their budgets and wait it out as they have done with XP. I know many that are still using XP that never upgraded to Win 7. I think the stats I seen was that the adoption rate for Window 7 was under 60%.

Businesses tend to be N-1 for currency. They don't want to be on the cutting edge. When XP was being deployed, a simular lag existed between XP against either 98 or NT.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
There is a rumor that the Surface RT would be sold for $199. For that price I'll take two:

Microsoft Surface for Windows RT tablet coming October 26th for $199? -- Engadget

Anyone else interested at that price? If they sell them at that price, it would be close to their cost to manufacture, so not sure if they can do that unless it's temporary promotional pricing.

It all depends on if it sucks. So far no one has any real experience with it. It could be great, it could be horrible. If it's horrible, I won't spend $200 on it.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I've used windows 8 enough to know I'll like the interface, from what I've read the hardware specs are good. For 199 it would have to suck badly for me to not buy it. I only have a fire, no other tablet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
There is a rumor that the Surface RT would be sold for $199. For that price I'll take two:

Microsoft Surface for Windows RT tablet coming October 26th for $199? -- Engadget

Anyone else interested at that price? If they sell them at that price, it would be close to their cost to manufacture, so not sure if they can do that unless it's temporary promotional pricing.

MS has been known to do promotional pricing on new hardware and to do so at a loss. Its been said that Google with Nexus 7 and Amazon with Kindle Fire have either lost money per sale or just broke even. I get that with those companies because they are going after Apple's music, movies, books, videos sales with their offerings. So its a loss leader to get you into their ecosystem. I don't see MS with much of an ecosystem at least nothing that they market enough to interest anyone. They couldn't make the Zune and its marketplace work. So I dunno.

I am like Meme I think if its a decent tablet with good specs and actually works well with the marketplace to support it then GREAT! I may be tempted to try one myself. I think there are a lot of professional waiting for their full windows touch release tablet which will be more expensive, but if they can use it as a replacement for a Windows PC then I can see that working well.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Good point DAB, MS needs to get some critical mass in the tablet market so loss leader may be their only choice to get things going. But if they want 3rd party hardware vendors they will need to leave room for profit.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
At $200 it's in the right price range. Hopefully it's a good product. The more competition, the better pricing will get for tablets in general.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
The pricing was released for the Microsoft Surface with windows 8 yesterday.

Two different sizes (both upgradeable with up to 32gb microsd) but both come with MS Office. Pretty sweet.

When I am due to a tablet upgrade (and that is coming soon) I will consider this. It is a tablet you can actually do real work on without any work arounds like you have with Ios or Android.

I think the specs look good, 720p HD Video on front and back camera also.

Here is link to pricing. I will consider this after Christmas--just worried about the lack of tablet "apps" for Windows.

Microsoft prices Surface tablets. Pre-orders open now. | ITworld

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Remember, this is a Windows RT product. You will only be able to run apps built for Windows RT, not regular Windows 8 apps. They will look very similar, but under the covers there is a whole different CPU and instruction set.