What was your first Compact Disc?

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
AC/DC Back in Black and Motley Crue Dr Feelgood

I remember like it was yesterday cause the CD walkman that I got to play them on SUCKED!!!! It was WORSE than Michael Jackson!

Battery lasted 20min and it skipped if you walked with it BUT WE LIKED IT!

and the SQ on that was probably better than most of the lousy mp3's flying around today!

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
My first (actually second after I returned the first one for sucking so hard). One of the best at the time!

SONY-Discman-D-15.jpg

Had some weird INDEX search feature that no CD other than PAINKILLER seemed to use.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
My first CD was Phil Collins' "Face Value" album (I believe that was Collins' first solo album if I'm not mistaken). I purchased it along with my first CD boombox in 1995 when I was 14. I thought CD's were the coolest things back then!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
B000001FKA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I had a Pioneer Compac Disc put in my demo, the dealer through a fit when he saw that cost on it was $1400.

I enjoyed it for a week, and then someone bought my demo because it had the CD player in it.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I worked in a record store as CD's started to be marketed in stores. We had a rack of Windham Hill CD's, but I hated that shit. I was given a promotional CD of the group Papa Do-Run Run and another CD of Glenn Miller's "In the Digital Mood". I can't remember the first disc I bought. I bought way too many back then. Maybe Phillip Glass' "Koyanisqatsi" or Lou Reed's "New Sensations".

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
Mine was Windows ME. Before that I only had floppys.

I had computer CDs much before Music ones.... Music was strictly Cassettes at that time.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Windows ME, the worst thing to happen to the PC until Vista showed itself.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
In 1989 after buying my first CD player for $99 (By the way, it is still working in my garage), I bought AC/DC Back In Black, Foreigner (Juke Box Greatest Hits), and Hank Williams Jr/Man of Steel.

I bought a forth one but I cannot think of it at the moment. :scratch:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
and the SQ on that was probably better than most of the lousy mp3's flying around today!

True dat. All these kids, carrying around their entire music collections in cheap plastic boxes filled with compressed tunes.

What are they gonna show their kids when they're parents? I thought my mom and dad's old 45s and LPs were too cool.

I bought LPs well into the late 80s. Nothing sounds as good, as rich, as deep as a new LP on a nice turntable. I've got a Robert Cray album somewhere and you'd swear he's playing in your house.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
My family got its 1st CD player in 1992.

My uncle worked for Time Warner and gave us a crapload of discs, mostly unknown artsts. One disc I remember was Andrew Dice Clay's "40 Too Long".

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I was late with purchasing a CD player..I just couldn't let go of the tapes.. I think it was mid 90's like 94ish

but with my 1st player I purchased 2 CD's
Counting Crows - August and everything after
Boyz II Men - I forget the name of it (blue cover)

Reactions: semipenguin

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
True dat. All these kids, carrying around their entire music collections in cheap plastic boxes filled with compressed tunes.

What are they gonna show their kids when they're parents? I thought my mom and dad's old 45s and LPs were too cool.

I bought LPs well into the late 80s. Nothing sounds as good, as rich, as deep as a new LP on a nice turntable. I've got a Robert Cray album somewhere and you'd swear he's playing in your house.

I agree. I remember my parents had an old stereo that was a huge peice of furniture. You would open the heavy wooden top and inside was a turntable. The bass was incredible on this thing---I'm assuming the woofer on it was huge. But it was a whole peice of huge furniture.

Back in my mid teens when we all get a little weird I bought some Pink Floyds LP's and cranked them on the old stereo. They sounded way better than cd's.

Do they still even make vinyl records????