What was your first Compact Disc?

ykw

Oct 21, 2008
Befitting someone who fell in love with Special XMas before (and more than) anything else on satrad, the first CD I ever bought was the DR. DEMENTO PRESENTS THE GREATEST CHRISTMAS NOVELTY CD OF ALL TIME. It was the first album I wanted to buy that didn't have a true cassette release (there was a tape version distributed as part of a box set some years earlier that only contained about half the tracks), and it was an album I simply had to have, as many of its tracks were either uncollected, unreleased (in any meaningful sense; a track that had a small vinyl pressing of a few hundred copies is functionally unreleased) or long out of print.

Broke down and spent $150 on a portable player -- this goes back to either 1989 or 1990, when that price was considered a huge bargain! -- and another $19.99 on the disc itself (in the bad old pre-Amazon, pre-CD Baby days, you had to pay whatever the store wanted for an obscure release, and there was no guarantee you would ever see it for sale anywhere else or anywhen else). Most expensive music purchase I've yet to make.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Back in my mid teens when we all get a little weird I bought some Pink Floyds LP's and cranked them on the old stereo. They sounded way better than cd's.

Do they still even make vinyl records????

Queen is re-releasing their entire cataloge on Vinyl. Albums wil come with extras such as posters and such (just like the good old days before CDs). The 1st albums should be in the stores now while the remainder next spring. They are even releasing the FlashGoron movie soundtrack.

Road Hog

Nov 9, 2008
Massachusetts
For my first CD, I had to follow my tradition.

In 1980, I bought my first vinyl album - Van Halen, Women and Children First
In 1982, I went to my first concert - Van Halen
In 1984, I bought my first cassette - Van Halen, 1984

So in 1986, I bought my first CD - Van Halen, 5150.

Of course when I got my iPod, the first song I put on there was a Van Halen song as well.

Keeping the tradition.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
Never have bought many CD's.

The first 45-RPM vinyl record I ever bought was "I Want To Hold Your Hand", by the Beatles. "I Saw Her Standing There" was on the flip side.

That was MANY moons ago. :D