The 2015 Ncaa Off Season Thread

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
If the college football playoff people are committed to having the playoffs games on New Year's Eve and New Years Day with the bowl game sites, it sounds like it will be a four team playoff format for quite some time now.

Reactions: semipenguin

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix

Not a fan of that idea, there 11 FBS Division I-A conferences. Merging them into 4 conferences, with 17 teams in each conference fighting for the #1 spot? Yea like that would make sense! :rolleyes:

They would at least have to expand the playoffs to 8 teams. The top 2 teams in each conference play for the championship game and the winner in each conference play for the final 4 spots or maybe create two divisions in each of those 4 conferences? or at least make 8 divisions?

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
BYU AD: School intends to play in Power 5 conference in 'near future' | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo Sports

The Cougars have a television deal with ESPN for home games. As Power Five conferences have added mandatory out of conference games against fellow Power Five opponents, BYU has fought to be considered like Notre Dame. The Irish are independent too, but they're treated like a P5 school. BYU is considered a Power Five opponent by the ACC but not the SEC.

In June, coach Bronco Mendenhall expressed his desire for BYU to join the Big 12. With 10 teams, the Big 12 seems the most likely candidate for the Cougars. However, members of the conference said shortly after Mendenhall's comments that it wasn't looking to expand.

To me BYU is in Utah, wouldn't it make more sense to be in the Pac 12?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN

Yes. But for whatever reason, when expansion came up back in 2009, the PAC decided to invite Colorado & Utah, and not BYU.

BYU have won a national championship & have had a Heisman winning quarterback.

The BIG XII have become the Big East. They will take any school in any location just to stay relevant. Texas has really jacked that conference up.

If I were BYU, I would work hard with the PAC 12 for admission, and see if they couldn't bring Texas Tech along with them.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
In June, coach Bronco Mendenhall expressed his desire for BYU to join the Big 12. With 10 teams, the Big 12 seems the most likely candidate for the Cougars. However, members of the conference said shortly after Mendenhall's comments that it wasn't looking to expand

Weird. I would think the Big 12 would want to expand to get back to 12 teams and have a championship game.

Reactions: semipenguin