Scotch Sampler

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Hmmm, I'm curious. Let me grab my shovel....

Here's something confirming what I remember seeing a while ago.

Inside Track: Jack White
October 2014
“Analogue is the medium of all the kinds of music that I am really fond of,” comments White. “Form follows function. You have to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. What are you trying to make it sound like? When you are recording and producing, you are aiming for something and if you want vibe, warmth, soulfulness, things like that, you will always be drawn back to analogue.

And it seems to still be the case.

Jack White vs Technology: Bringing Romance Back in a Digital Age
Mar 3, 2021
And no one has been more combative of this than Jack White. By bringing back vinyl, utilizing old school recording methods, and creating phone-free concert experiences, he is effectively reviving the analogue romance that the modernized music industry has diminished.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
His crazy sounds are coming from a couple of foot pedals.
He's got his own signature model that you can buy that gets the crazy synth sounding fatness that is so recognizable.
He can still record analog.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
1998 Placebo – Pure Morning (live)
The first time I heard it, I didn't like it. I didn't get it I guess.
By the second time, I was getting into it, and then it clicked and I loved it.
2002 Interpol – PDA (live)
These guys are good. I like the break that they added for the live version. THey have a handful of other songs I like too.
2003 Aqualung – Brighter Than Sunshine
Not familiar with this one. Other than the Beatlesque string section, it's not doing a lot for me.
2009 The Heavy – How You Like Me Now? (live on Letterman)
Love, love love! We've talked about this one before.
2009 Black Moth Super Rainbow – Born On a Day the Sun Didn’t Rise
I like it!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think I'm only 2 posts away from being caught up!

Not only is that song great, but their new song "Beautiful James" is excellent. Gonna be in my top 10 of 2021 easily.
I like it! Their new album is supposed to be out in March.
It looks like they recorded and shot the video during COVID.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is a good batch of songs.
Horsegirl – Billy
They are all good, but this one would come in 4th. Ahhh COVID videos. They will be easy to pinpoint in 10 years…… If we make it that long.
Deep Sea Diver (ft. Sharon Van Etten) – Impossible Weight
I like the vibe.
St. Vincent – Pay Your Way in Pain
She’s great. I thought this would be my favorite of the list.
Wet Leg – Wet Dream
Till I heard this one. It’s a lot of fun. I see them show up on XMU from time to time. I need to switch over when that happens.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
In honor of the great grunge pioneer Mark Lanegan, here's a little tribute

Screaming Trees – Dollar Bill (live)

Screaming Trees – All I Know (live on Jools)

Here he presides over an insane assembly of musicians, including a totally unhinged Dave Grohl

Queens of the Stone Age – Song for the Dead (live)

He did a lot of solo work, and collaborations

Mark Lanegan (with PJ Harvey) – Hit the City

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
OK, time to crank-up Scotch Sampler again. Here's a few new songs that I think are interesting.

Belle and Sebastian are one of the original indie bands. They've put out a bunch of indie staples that have a 60s throwback vibe, and also some more recent stuff, like their 2015 album Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance. This is new, from a not yet released album, and it has a nice groove

Belle and Sebastian – Unnecessary Drama

Here's some new dream-pop that's pleasant to listen to

Hovvdy – True Love

This is a cool spoken-word rocker that's in current rotation on XMU. But when I looked-up the video, I saw that it debuted a year ago. I think the deal is that the album just got released. Anyway...

Dry Cleaning – Scratchcard Lanyard (live)

And finally, another great new track from the latest Spoon release

Spoon - Wild

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Belle and Sebastian – Unnecessary Drama
The song and the video are both fun. I like it.
Hovvdy – True Love
This one didn’t do a lot for me.
Dry Cleaning – Scratchcard Lanyard (live)
I like this one too.
Spoon - Wild
I like Spoon, but this one doesn’t grab me as much as their other stuff. I think I’d probably like it more while listening to the album instead of on its own.

Good stuff. Thanks for updating the thread.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Time to fire-up the thread again. I've got an omission and a soapbox.

In-between Courtney Barnett's stellar early releases and the current album, was the 2018 release Tell Me How You Really Feel. I wasn't that into it, or the singles they played on the radio. But I've been hearing this awesome Courtney Barnett song that's become one of my favorites, and sure enough - it's from that album.

The sound and performance on this live version are just awesome; but I'm not sure how they achieved it with an outdoor venue. Anyhoo...

Courtney Barnett – Charity (live)

Lucius consists of two women who sing more precisely together than any of those guys from the Moody Blues, or the Bee Gees. They really make one sound. I featured them as a one-off in my favorites for 2016 with this high-energy pop-rock tune

Lucius – Born Again Teen

Well now they have a new single, and for the life of me, I don't understand why songs like this don't top the Hot 100, instead of whatever crap is up there now. So while this isn't exactly my cup of tea, as a pop song I like it, and I think it should be a hit. It's got a great funky vibe, and dammit, you can dance to it. Plus, they can really sing.

Lucius – Next to Normal (live)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Time to fire-up the thread again. I've got an omission and a soapbox.

In-between Courtney Barnett's stellar early releases and the current album, was the 2018 release Tell Me How You Really Feel. I wasn't that into it, or the singles they played on the radio. But I've been hearing this awesome Courtney Barnett song that's become one of my favorites, and sure enough - it's from that album.

The sound and performance on this live version are just awesome; but I'm not sure how they achieved it with an outdoor venue. Anyhoo...

Courtney Barnett – Charity (live)

Lucius consists of two women who sing more precisely together than any of those guys from the Moody Blues, or the Bee Gees. They really make one sound. I featured them as a one-off in my favorites for 2016 with this high-energy pop-rock tune

Lucius – Born Again Teen

Well now they have a new single, and for the life of me, I don't understand why songs like this don't top the Hot 100, instead of whatever crap is up there now. So while this isn't exactly my cup of tea, as a pop song I like it, and I think it should be a hit. It's got a great funky vibe, and dammit, you can dance to it. Plus, they can really sing.

Lucius – Next to Normal (live)

I dig all 3 of these songs.
All of Courtney’s edgier songs like this work for me. The mellow ones aren’t usually my thing.

The Lucius stuff is good! They have a fun groove, great (poppy) sound, and like you said, them vocals are tight. They should be getting more attention.