RIM to unveil new BlackBerry

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
BB stock when down 12% yesterday. I think investors have voiced their opinion.

Indeed, some of the investors did sell but that was the "voice" of the Day Traders taking there profit. I told my GF to buy $1,000 in Sept and to sell the day before the announcement. Not to hurt the company but knowing the stock was a Great Deal at $7 ( even if the company was bought and sold for parts ) and it had nearly doubled before the launch. I also told her to buy $1,000 worth of stock in SiriusXM which would have taken longer to double her money but, she would have. Today major investment firms are recommending RIM stock, and after a 12% dip yesterday I think its even a better deal with the physical release of these devices that will, at least, replace the older devices currently used by companies and kids on BBM.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I saw the ceo show the 10 on tv this morning. I actually looks like a slick phone. It should be something that will keep a lot of bb users from jumping ship. If they can get a decent number of apps for it they may pull this off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I saw the ceo show the 10 on tv this morning. I actually looks like a slick phone. It should be something that will keep a lot of bb users from jumping ship. If they can get a decent number of apps for it they may pull this off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No one is expecting the #BB10 devices to be King of the Apps, or even close to it, but now they have delivered a device with an operating system that is designed to have both Personal and Business settings with a quick screen gesture. This will appeal to the developers ( and there are 70,000+ BB10 apps and 1,000 Brand Name apps committed as well ). Of coarse the corporate and government ecosystem demands the type of security that BlackBerry has proven on a daily basis ( minus a few bad days ) and the new BlackBerry's have an Android app player. Some of my favorite apps on my BlackBerry PlayBook ( including Sirius Canada ) were Android apps I "side loaded". Nice to see your open minded HecticArt :)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm a fan of options and think that competition is good for all of us as consumers.

When the CEO was on TV this morning, he said that they had basically gotten lazy about keeping up with innovation. I'm glad that they have realized that they needed to focus on development again.

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
BlackBerry is finally seeing some good press. Its a long journey even to the middle at this point but they are taking the right steps. Look for the Super Bowl BlackBerry advert ( it suppose to have cost in the area of $3 million and was directed by a leading director ). I have pre-ordered 3 of the new BlackBerry's and have sales for 2 of my unlocked Bold 9900's.

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I read that there were some on ebay but the wait in Canada is only 4 more days for that device. But someone is making a crazy profit off of, most likely, free unlocked devices that were given out by BB. My daughter is #7 on the pre-order list for a White Z10 and I'm waiting for the Q10 with the qwerty.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm convinced that BlackBerry has zero chance of survival. They didn't just miss out on the technological changes, but the economic and sociological changes ushered in by the iPhone and Android. The days of Blackberry Enterprise Servers are gone and nothing will ever bring them back.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm convinced that BlackBerry has zero chance of survival. They didn't just miss out on the technological changes, but the economic and sociological changes ushered in by the iPhone and Android. The days of Blackberry Enterprise Servers are gone and nothing will ever bring them back.

I think the idea that they are somehow the only option for secure e-mail in a business are done too. I get my work e-mail through a "Good" app on my iPhone. Just as secure. My company still supplies BB to execs but several only use them when they travel out of Canada (since company pays roaming) and use the Good app on their personal iPhones everyday.

I think that some users who have used BB will continue to do so with these new devices, more so with the Q10 which has the keyboard which has been the other BB trait.

I see them surviving as a small niche player maybe slightly more successful than MS given their starting base (they were #1 at one point). But their days of dominance are a thing of the past.

But, as DAB says, innovation and choices inevitably will push Apple and Android so them surviving in some form is a good thing.

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I wouldn't be convinced at this stage. memebag your totally right that BB missed out on the growing trends and that's why the original upper management is gone and new blood and ideas have developed a quality device with standards the developers are showing they will support. Although the ecosystem for the BB is becoming more like the masses want the enterprise / business end and the level of security BB offers right out of the box is second to none. Then new OS has been designed to easily switch from Personal use to Business use with just a swiping gesture ( innovation ). The company is calling it BlackBerry Balance.

Reactions: Aaron

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Without this change, I would have expected BB to have disappeared in the near future. This may not save them or recapture some of their old market share, but it should stop the decline, and buy them some valuable time. If they can keep working on innovation, they may be able to pull this off.

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree Hectic. They're not getting a better chance than this. We will have to wait for the numbers to come back ( and they will ) and if the devices are received well, especially in the US market ( Canada, UK are sure bets I believe ), they will still only be a third option in the market place. But third place in such a big market will do just fine, for everyone, at this point. I see a leaked picture of Instagram on the new BB10 platform so that should make the Kids Happy ( it always alludes me why access to a particular app is a make or break for a person selecting a devices over a multi year plan ).

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
From what I'm reading the response has been very positive with the UK release ( will some places selling out ). 50 per cent of the Canadian preorders come from people who don't currently own BlackBerry's. Which is very promising. My daughters White Z10 wasn't in today, maybe tomorrow.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They got coverage on the local morning show (although parent company is owned by Rogers so a bit biased). They had the Apple-style event. Only thing missing was the line up of people to order one.

I think it will stop the bleeding and prevent them from losing current BB to compeditors but I don't think they will ever be the big boys on the block.

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
IRBS: The release of the new devices has "stopped the bleeding" but there marketing still sucks hard. I love the idea of a new named company with a great piece of hardware ( compared to their older models ) but they can't continue to make any of the old mistakes. I believed they have learned a lot from being passed by and how the others got to where they are. The corporate side of BB can't sustain the growth of the company. They need the kids...

Inspector6

Jan 31, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I was able to get the daughter a White Z10 this afternoon and she is one of the happiest 17 yr olds on the planet. The purchase price was OK too. On a 3 year contract with Bell it was $149.00 and Bell offered up a $50.00 discount to re-up the contract so before taxes $99.00. That's affordable to the masses. That's a good start. Now I have to wait for the Q10 release for mine.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I was able to get the daughter a White Z10 this afternoon and she is one of the happiest 17 yr olds on the planet. The purchase price was OK too. On a 3 year contract with Bell it was $149.00 and Bell offered up a $50.00 discount to re-up the contract so before taxes $99.00. That's affordable to the masses. That's a good start. Now I have to wait for the Q10 release for mine.

That is good pricing. My iPhone5 with 3 year contract and AppleCare+ and tax was about $500.