New iPods!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I do not believe you can sell me on the concept of a pure MP3 player anymore. My Zen is now gathering dust. Everything it does can be done by my phone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I do not believe you can sell me on the concept of a pure MP3 player anymore. My Zen is now gathering dust. Everything it does can be done by my phone.

I agree with you 100% I don't even see the point of just a pure MP3 player at this point. Apple, Sony, Archos all have gone to a full multimedia device that does video, web, email etc.

I do still like my music player separate from my phone. YES, I'll use my phone in a crunch, but the fact is I listen to way too much music and make and receive way to many calls to logically use my iPhone for music. Which is why I have an iPod Touch, I likely could have made due with just a classic iPod, but if I am was to spend the money I might as well get the iPod Touch.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I agree with you 100% I don't even see the point of just a pure MP3 player at this point. Apple, Sony, Archos all have gone to a full multimedia device that does video, web, email etc.

I do still like my music player separate from my phone. YES, I'll use my phone in a crunch, but the fact is I listen to way too much music and make and receive way to many calls to logically use my iPhone for music. Which is why I have an iPod Touch, I likely could have made due with just a classic iPod, but if I am was to spend the money I might as well get the iPod Touch.

I use my phone sparingly these days. I find texting to be easier. I do use my SL2 for SXM since I don't want to be streaming over non-unlimited 3G and PocketTunes seems to have conflicts with my TTR1 when I use it to stream. (PocketTunes seems to have many issues not just this one.) But I like the idea that I no longer need to carry Palm, camera and/or video camera, phone and music player (unless I want SXM). It seems that we have reversed positions over the last year. :)

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Just got my 64 GB iPod Touch. Love it. The camera is better than my actual digital camera. If the Ipod Touch had a flash I wouldn't have any use for that thing anymore. :jj:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Just got my 64 GB iPod Touch. Love it. The camera is better than my actual digital camera. If the Ipod Touch had a flash I wouldn't have any use for that thing anymore. :jj:

Are you sure it doesn't? I believe teh iPhone4 has one on one of its cameras.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Odd. I would have thought they would have made the iTouch just like the iPhone ... without the phone.

Actually I don't think Logitec every planned on making their keyboard the iTouch with a camera. LOL

However, Steve Job's in talking about the iPod Touch did say that many felt the iPod Touch was like an iPhone only without the phone. None the less the iPod Touch will never be an equal to their flagship iPhone. NEVER!

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Actually I don't think Logitec every planned on making their keyboard the iTouch with a camera. LOL

However, Steve Job's in talking about the iPod Touch did say that many felt the iPod Touch was like an iPhone only without the phone. None the less the iPod Touch will never be an equal to their flagship iPhone. NEVER!
Maybe some day if they bring back the unlimited data plans.

And I always thought the portable movie concept was absurd on a screen that size. But from getting the Blu Rays I have digital copies of Iron Man 2 and The Dark Knight and I have to say they look incredible on the retina display.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Maybe some day if they bring back the unlimited data plans.

And I always thought the portable movie concept was absurd on a screen that size. But from getting the Blu Rays I have digital copies of Iron Man 2 and The Dark Knight and I have to say they look incredible on the retina display.

Unlimited data plans will slowly fade off into history by all these carriers. It is likely just a matter of time before Verizon does it (they have basically already announced they are going too). Eventually though not as soon, you'll see Sprint and T-Mobile do the same. The latter two will hold out for awhile, but will switch too.

I have only one time used my iPhone for watching a movie and that was while I was at a conference bored out of my mind. I snuck my earphone on and watched movie during sessions. However, in my book the iPad is much more suited.

Now if the ever go Retina on the iPad... I am there!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Unlimited data plans will slowly fade off into history by all these carriers. It is likely just a matter of time before Verizon does it (they have basically already announced they are going too). Eventually though not as soon, you'll see Sprint and T-Mobile do the same. The latter two will hold out for awhile, but will switch too.

Very hard to maintain unlimited data when the network itself is limited particularly with the huge explosion of smartphone usage.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Very hard to maintain unlimited data when the network itself is limited particularly with the huge explosion of smartphone usage.

And the lack of reinvestment in the network that they keep selling smartphones on :D