Miscellaneous News Thread

I find this both sad and troubling. Sad because we've come to a point where a car is simply an appliance. And troubling, as this has been made possible by the artificially low gas prices we have here. We're going in the wrong direction (as with other things).
Ford dropping all but 2 cars from its North American dealerships

From what I read people prefer trucks and SUV's and sedans sales are down. I currently drive a sedan, but I do want an SUV but I just can't afford one right now.

It like Chrylser they only offer the 200 and 300 and now introduce the Pacifica again. But the bodywork is more of a mini-van since the Town & Country is now gone.
 
Me too.
Gas prices will spike again, and people will want the cars that aren't going to be there.

People simply want big cars with better fuel efficiencies and the car industry isn't providing much of it. Didn't Obama sign something to make the car industry more fuel efficiency?
 
From what I read people prefer trucks and SUV's and sedans sales are down. It like Chrylser they only offer the 200 and 300 and now introduce the Pacifica again.
Yes, Americans are wanting SUVs over sedans. The Chrysler 200 has been dropped as well. But part of the reason they want SUVs is that our gas costs a fraction of what it is globally, so they don't care about fuel efficiency.

People simply want big cars with better fuel efficiencies and the car industry isn't providing much of it. Didn't Obama sign something to make the car industry more fuel efficiency?
Back in the '70s, the government instituted CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy - which are requirements for overall fleet average MPG. It was created with an increasingly stringent requirement over time. But first it got killed by Reagan, and then it got killed by GW Bush. Obama simply started it up again, but now it's been completely obliterated.
 
I thought everything was always bigger in Texas. Somebody must be embarrass with there hazelnuts?
 
There's a chance they won't spike before personal car ownership is eclipsed by autonomous ride services. It's probably not a big chance, but we are approaching an end of an era in personal transportation.

I don't think anyone will notice in Houston.

View attachment 4541
Haha! I know the feeling.

My current car (BMW 128) is my "practical" vehicle, compared to the BMW Z3/Z4 and Toyota MR2's before it. But nowadays, people can't get over how low my 128 is, compared to their SUVs, trucks, and tall cars. "Isn't it hard getting into that? Do you feel unsafe?" They act like I'm driving an MG Midget.
 
Haha! I know the feeling.

My current car (BMW 128) is my "practical" vehicle, compared to the BMW Z3/Z4 and Toyota MR2's before it. But nowadays, people can't get over how low my 128 is, compared to their SUVs, trucks, and tall cars. "Isn't it hard getting into that? Do you feel unsafe?" They act like I'm driving an MG Midget.
The gas station attendant at Costco came over to watch me get out of my Miata. He was disappointed when I didn't struggle. He stuck around to watch me get back in, and was similarly disappointed.
 
I don't know if any of this information is appearing on your local news. But in Arizona teachers have been complaining for years they want a raises. The Arizona governor signed a bill and they will get a raise little by little by 2020. But the teachers want it now and did a walkout on Thursday and again today. There some rumors, they could do it again on Monday. So now most of the schools are closed and kids are out of school.

Arizona governor offers teacher 20% pay raise, but educators have questions - CNN


 
Back
Top Bottom