I love SIRIUS XM!

I still listen to SXM. I am not sure I still love it. A lot of the luster has worn off. If I was a new subscriber, I am not sure I would subscribe. It is convenient in the car as local Toronto FM leads a lot to be desired.

But, this past week when visiting Saskatoon, SK, I discovered an FM station that I liked (aside from the relativity low load of commercials) better than any station on SXM. It played primarily classic hits from the 70s and 80s with some from the 90s and the occasional 00 thrown in. Sort of a combination of ClassicRewind + 70son7 + 80son 8 with a sprinkling of Lithium thrown in. It had few repeats and lots of stuff I had not heard in years. It did not have the obscure shit that is played sometimes on Classic Rewind. (It does occur to me that the stuff I haven't heard in years -- some of it is Canadian. All radio stations then and now in Canada must play 1/3 of their songs Canadian. I suspect the obscure shit I hear on CR is no doubt the stuff cut out to make room for the Canadian songs. Still doesn't mean I want to hear it but that is probably the reason.) I found myself listening to it through my phone and on the car radio in preference to songs on my iPhone. I will probably even continue to listen to it in Toronto as they stream (listening right now as I type).

96.3 Cruz FM - Saskatoon's Greatest Hits - Home
 
Cool full page ad in Crutchfield's Holiday edition last month:

Bc_q8JMCUAENUBu.jpg
 
I just re-read this thread.
Talk about the way-back machine.

And yep, I'm still loving SXM. Streaming wasn't an option when the thread started, but it works pretty nicely now.
 
I used to be an evangelist for the old XM, now it's another nice option. The streaming means I don't need a third party device for home, I can just Airplay it to my HomePod (hopefully it'll be integrated soon enough now that the mothership (apple!) is letting third parties in.) Between Sirius, Apple Music and Podcasts I really don't need anything else.
 
I love it, I like the app. Remember the first few years the app was out? It works great now. I still like having a dedicated player that I can record so I enjoy all the options.
 
Not to be a downer but I've been more or less 100% done with Sirius for over a year now. Stern was the last part of Sirius I stopped listening to. I still check out his Youtube sometimes but from 7th grade until 2018 or 19 I was listening everyday. Now, not really at all.

I do subscribe to various audio services though. I get the limited Prime Music w/the normal Prime membership and every time they offer a deal for full Prime Music I take it. Right now I'm in a 3 months for $3.99/month deal. When that ends I'll go back to limited until the next deal. I also pay for the Phish streaming service LivePhish+. That's $9.99/month and it has their complete catalog of live shows since 03 I think and a whole bunch but not complete set of shows before that. Plus they have all the band members side project stuff.

I listen to the free version of Stitcher for all my podcasts. That is basically Dateline, Eagles related shows and comedy shows.

I have Spotify on my phone too but I rarely use it.
 
There would be two things that would drive me away, if it became majority single artist channels (it’s getting there!) Or another price increase.
 
I'm probably one of the most recent subscribers to the service here, as I never had it until I bought my car 3 years ago.

I like it, but I'm a work-from-home guy now ( and that will NOT be changing when the whole Covid deal is over ). So I'm barely in my car anymore. I stream a little at home ( listening to American Top 40 on Saturdays, jumping from channel to channel while I exercise on occasion ).

I pay about $7 for Select a month, & it would need to stay right around that level for me to justify paying for it once my current deal ends. I DO enjoy it, but if I'm not in my car it really becomes more of a luxury.
 
15 years of subscribing, I'm still happy with the service. But with the work-from-home I too am getting less use of it than ever before. It's still nice to have music without the drive-time long commercial breaks.
 
I still had my SXM streaming all day when I was working at home for those couple of months. I don't remember why I didn't use my Lynx.
 
During my commute, I would listen to Sirius XMU, to keep up with the new stuff. That's the one thing I'm not doing now. But it's still in the wife's car, and it's playing all day as background in the house and on our back porch, plus I stream it in my car.
 
I have the app from the wife's car but I still have a portable. The problem for me is sat coverage. Where I'm at I barely get 1/4th of a sat signal. Drive 15 miles across the state line and full terrestrial signal. Drive 5 miles from the house, full signal. I contacted sirius last year and the tech said there are no longer any terrestrial transmitters any more. Bla bla bla
 
Ya this sucks, drove around my neighborhood, in the car, and walked. As soon as you get to the other side of the street the testical pops out. I don't get it. I think my carport is blocking in the house, but outside should work better. I had the radio on my hip 50 yards from my house no drops.
 
I remember a while back I would loose signal around a local grocery store. I think their grocery cart theft system was interfering with SXM signal frequencies. Could there be some interference from somewhere?
 
Back
Top Bottom