Dumb Mac questions

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Not built in, but dozens of options otherwise, most which can be downloaded for free. I even have a USB TV turner plugged into mine at the office to watch TV on the rare occasion that I want too.

Windows 7 has media center, but I wouldn't give you a slug nickle for it. Unstable as all get out in my opinion. I've had it actually corrupt some media files here recently when playing around with it. But this is a common problem with Microsoft. They try to put so much into Windows that they just don't ever get it just right. Though I will say that Windows 7 over all is damn rock solid. There is 3rd party software that makes Media Center looked like childs play.

Thank you for your help. I will look into it. We have Windows 7 on our desktop and her netbook. Never had a problem with media center. We've recored shows over the air on each plus watched Netflix and no problems at all. We use the desktop as a Media center fo our TV. The wife wants to move up to a full laptop and give her netbook to our neice. Thanks again.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thank you for your help. I will look into it. We have Windows 7 on our desktop and her netbook. Never had a problem with media center. We've recored shows over the air on each plus watched Netflix and no problems at all. We use the desktop as a Media center fo our TV. The wife wants to move up to a full laptop and give her netbook to our neice. Thanks again.

Yeah it is pretty good for recording shows and such, but when I started throwing some odd ball video files at it. Well its just say it didn't recovery too well and in the end ultimate currupted my files. Glad I had back-ups.

I look the interface it is slick, but there are other 3rd party software out there that honestly is much better. My son has one I can't think of the name of it, but he bought it and actually uses it on Windows 7.

In terms of setting up Windows 7 machines... MS did their home work it will find just about every driver these days and Plug and Play works better than it ever has.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Front Row is built-in. Most people don't know it's there anymore since Apple stopped shipping the free IR remote.

Apple - Mac OS X - What Is Mac OS X - All Applications and Utilities

If you don't have, or don't feel like buying the little remote ($19), you can access it with a keyboard:

You can use keyboard shortcuts to control Front Row.
To open Front Row, press Command-Escape. To exit, press Escape. To navigate in Front Row, use the arrow keys. To select an item, press Return.

It's not perfect, but it can do the job. It will even play DivX and other formats if you install Perian (a 3rd party codec pack). It will use your iTunes library for iTunes purchased movies and shows, as well as check the Movies folder for other media that you may download, record, or get elsewhere.

Oh and hey, even possilby Hulu through plugins... (haven't tried these yet)
http://www.holeintheceiling.com/blog/2009/08/28/new-front-row-plugins-for-snow-leopard/
or
http://www.macworld.com/article/138862/2009/02/understudy.html

Neat! Understudy does Netflix, too -- trying that out now....

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, I didn't know Front Row still existed until I looked in the Applications folder. I was pretty pleased about that.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Looks like the Netflix plugin is a bit buggy - not working for me. A few bug reports on it, so going to add to it.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I use Windows Media Center and extenders on a home theater PC and Xbox 360s with no trouble. Netflix works perfectly. I've watched hundreds of hours of video on them and never seen anything like what DAB is describing.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
This is why I said using 3rd party software works better.

Heh - it is the 3rd party software that is b0rked ;-) Author knows, though, so should be fixed soon :)

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I use Windows Media Center and extenders on a home theater PC and Xbox 360s with no trouble. Netflix works perfectly. I've watched hundreds of hours of video on them and never seen anything like what DAB is describing.

We also use our 360 as an extender and back up DVR. No problems at all.

If a Macbook can't play Netflix then it's a no go forsure.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
What is Front Row?

Check out my post above for more details, but basically a media center app that comes with OSX. Works well out of the box for iTunes supported formats, but can be extended to use some 3rd party plugins.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

That is a good report, but there are plenty enough forums and web sites that have reported on the instabiity of MS Media Center. I'll leave it there, glad it works so well for you.

If a Macbook can't play Netflix then it's a no go forsure.

Who said a MacBook wouldn't play Netflixs?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
So basically any TV shows etc that are available through iTunes

OSX in general doesn't really play many formats on it's own without help. Apple's all about Quicktime and it's own formats. But installing something like Perian give sthe ability to play DivX, Xvid, MKV, etc. WMV's can be played using Flip4Mac.

Once you've installed those things, OSX can play almost any video format. Front Row is also able to play them. The only caveat is that for Front Row to see them, they need to live in the folders that iTunes uses.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Haven't asked a dumb question lately, so... is there a way to get photos taken on my BlackBerry Torch onto the Mac? When I use the USB transfer/charging cable the Mac recognizes it's connected and the BlackBerry asks me if I want to sync or just charge the phone. What am I needing to do next?

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Time for another dumb question. I need to print out my temp insurance card. My Windows XP machine is out of service right now and it's normally connected to the printer. If I take my MacBook downstairs and connect the USB cable, will I be able to print or will I have to install the printer software first?

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
You should be able to. The Mac comes with the printer drivers already installed so you plug it in, it says, "I see a printer.. Here you go.. Enjoy!"