DRC Madness #42

Vote for the next madness theme?

  • Favorite Musicians

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Music Categories

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    9
  • Poll closed .
Should I unveil these one at a time?
Up first: scotch
From chatGPT:

scotch
scotch’s list is the most “music nerd” of the bunch — thoughtful alt‑rock, college‑radio staples, deep cuts, and artists who reward close listening. Their picks lean heavily toward the 90s alternative ecosystem: PJ Harvey, Catherine Wheel, Concrete Blonde, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and a constellation of bands that lived just outside the mainstream. They’re the curator of the group — the one who knows which album track is secretly better than the single. If the 90s were a record store, scotch is the person behind the counter recommending something you’ve never heard but instantly love.
My idol is Jack Black from High Fidelity

images (1).webp
 
I won't have the patience to do these 1 a day over 11 days, so here's Hectic summary from chatGPT:

Hectic

Hectic’s list is exactly what you’d expect from someone named Hectic — loud, energetic, industrial, electronic, and unapologetically intense. Tool, Crystal Method, Prodigy, Ministry, Stabbing Westward… this is someone who lived in the 90s with the volume knob broken off at “11.” Their taste is rhythm-forward, adrenaline-heavy, and proudly niche. They’re the friend who knew the deep cuts before anyone else and probably introduced half the group to songs they didn’t know they needed. If the 90s were a warehouse rave, Hectic was already inside.
 
One more for tonight:

IRBS

IRBS comes across as the group’s “balanced voter” — someone who appreciates the 90s across genres without leaning too hard into any single identity. Their picks show a blend of alt rock, pop, singer songwriter, and a few left-field choices that reveal curiosity rather than allegiance. They’re the type who didn’t marry one genre; they dated all of them. Their list feels like someone who values melody and emotional resonance but isn’t afraid to throw in something quirky when the moment calls for it.
 
andrew-wk-party-hard.gif


Thanks for dumping these into Skynet Aaron.
The descriptions so far are pretty good. I've never been to a real rave, but that's mostly because I never knew where any legit ones were happening.
 
One more for tonight:

IRBS

IRBS comes across as the group’s “balanced voter” — someone who appreciates the 90s across genres without leaning too hard into any single identity. Their picks show a blend of alt rock, pop, singer songwriter, and a few left-field choices that reveal curiosity rather than allegiance. They’re the type who didn’t marry one genre; they dated all of them. Their list feels like someone who values melody and emotional resonance but isn’t afraid to throw in something quirky when the moment calls for it.

Surprisingly accurate.

Thanks for dumping these into Skynet Aaron.
Yes, Thanx Aaron for making the robots aware of us!
 
I have IRBS’s Excel list, and I’m still working on setting up the matches. I’m not randomizing the matchups they’ll be seeded #1 vs. #128, #2 vs. #127, and so on.

Since Aaron’s and my #1 songs didn’t make the Top 128, I’m adding:

Neil Young “Harvest Moon”
Rob Zombie “Superbeast”

That means 130 songs will be competing in the Madness as it starts this Friday.
 
Last edited:
I have IRBS’s Excel list, and I’m still working on setting up the matches. I’m not randomizing the matchups they’ll be seeded #1 vs. #128, #2 vs. #127, and so on.

Since Aaron’s and my #1 songs didn’t make the Top 128, I’m adding:

Neil Young “Harvest Moon”
Rob Zombie “Superbeast”

That means 130 songs will be competing in the Madness as it starts this Friday.
If you drop 127 & 128 you can have a 128 song tournament which is an exact power of 2.
 
I really had a cluster at the top of my list with no clear #1. However I was feeling that day, I went with “Harvest Moon” as my #1

If you played it for a bunch of people and asked them to guess the release year, probably nobody would think 1992. It sounds like it’s straight out of 1972.
 
I really had a cluster at the top of my list with no clear #1. However I was feeling that day, I went with “Harvest Moon” as my #1

If you played it for a bunch of people and asked them to guess the release year, probably nobody would think 1992. It sounds like it’s straight out of 1972.
I would have definitely pegged it as a 70s song. I thought it might have been a re-release or something when I saw it on your list.
 
You of course were thinking of this song. It was a top-ten hit in 1909-10 for Elise Stevenson & Harry Macdonough, Ada Jones & Billy Murray – each of those two versions went to number one – Frank Stanley & Henry Burr, Bob Roberts and Arthur Pryor's Band.

 
Back
Top Bottom