Concerts you have attended?

^This

I wouldn't pay $3K to see The Cure front row at a 2000 capacity venue like the House Of Blues in Boston.

To spend $3K, it'd have to be someplace like The Paradise (900 capacity) with a guarantee I'd be in the pit.

For $32K, they're playing in my backfuckinyard.
 
^This

I wouldn't pay $3K to see The Cure front row at a 2000 capacity venue like the House Of Blues in Boston.

To spend $3K, it'd have to be someplace like The Paradise (900 capacity) with a guarantee I'd be in the pit.

For $32K, they're playing in my backfuckinyard.
Keep in mind if you want to go with a friend that is $64K.

These are all after-market prices. A friend sent their nieces but got tickets (not front row) straight from Ticketmaster at about $150 a shot.
 
I don't think there's anyone I would see for $150 unless it was a smaller venue. Ain't paying that for an arena seat.
That's generally our limit too, and that's for a nice, intimate setting. However, I have seen some awesome arena concerts back in the day. And even in somewhat recent times (the 2000s), I saw Paul McCartney and Springsteen at Fenway. I might have paid $200 (in today's dollars) for Sir Paul.
 
That's generally our limit too, and that's for a nice, intimate setting. However, I have seen some awesome arena concerts back in the day. And even in somewhat recent times (the 2000s), I saw Paul McCartney and Springsteen at Fenway. I might have paid $200 (in today's dollars) for Sir Paul.
There are a couple I would stretch to $200 regardless of the setting. Some $150. Some $100. Some $50. Taylor Swift is $0.
 
I generally dislike arena shows. I've walked out of them because the sound is shit and view is poor. I saw The Cure (2000) and Peter Gabriel (2003) from the lawn area behind the arena seats simply because it's unlikely I'll ever see them any other way. It was good but not as good as most club shows. I saw Depeche Mode (2001) in arena seats because they were reasonably priced (and I'll probably never see them in another setting).

But I got free tickets to Godsmack at an arena and walked out. Shit sound. The sound of the snare was almost a full second off from seeing the hit. Guy I went with wanted to leave too.

I saw Ozzy and Rob Zombie for free at an arena and left early. Sound was shit. Had to look to my left to see anything. After an hour or so my neck hurt. Guy I went with left too.

I've seen Korn at a small club (their first tour) and it was amazing. I think I told the story of how the crowd pushed so hard my feet kept coming off the floor and I'd land a few feet away from where I had been. Then saw them for free at an arena and was kinda bored. I only stayed because my friends did.

I saw TSO at the Orpheum (capacity 2700) twice and it was incredible. At one show, I was front row balcony, the guitarist came up and played right in front of me (looking over the railing at the stage). When he went back to the stage he was looking up at the balcony. I raised my hand. He saw me and nodded. Then I got free TSO tickets in an arena years later and left partway through. Lights brighter than the sun flashing in my eyes. Shit sound. Pyro garbage. Everyone around me talking loudly ignoring the show. It sucked. My wife agreed.
 
Somewhere in here I mentioned that a few years ago, we found out last-minute that friends were seeing Bob Seger at the Gaahhhden. They were making a night of it, meeting for dinner beforehand. So it seemed to be worth it to get the last seats available, just so we could join them. Also, Mrs. Scotch is a big Seger fan.

We met for dinner, and then our friends went to their front-and-center seats, while we employed a Sherpa to ascend to the top row of seats, up against the concrete wall, and just below the drop-ceiling. Aside from the sound being horrible, all the smoke formed a cloud right at face-level.
 
I think the most I ever spent on a concert ticket was $175-ish for Van Halen back in....2012? It was the tour for the "A Different Kind Of Truth" album. Somehow I'd never seen them back in the day even though I was a big fan, so I splurged for a 17th row ticket.

Back in 2015, I spent roughly $2000 total on Royals playoff tickets. 1 ticket for the Wild Card game ( one of the top 5 nights of my life ), 1 ticket for Game 1 of the World Series, & 2 tickets for Game 7. I've been a fan since 1976, & figured this might be the only chance I'd even get to see playoff games.

No way in hell I spend that kinda money on 1 concert.
 
I don't think I've paid more than $175 per seat.
It was for Tool. The show got canceled due to the start of the pandemic. I got a full refund.
It would have to be a great show with great seats to get me to spend a lot more. At the moment, I can't picture what would make me want to spend more than $250.
 
I don't know what the most I've paid for a concert ticket is, but I'm confident it's double-digits. Though now that I'm thinking about it, I should look up how much I paid on my "splurge weekend" for my 25th anniversary yesterday. Ben Folds, Melissa Etheridge, Royal Blood, Blue Man Group, Michael Jackson play, Play That Went Wrong and Chicago.
 
  • Creed [11/27 Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, ON]

This show was last night. The seats were not bad. There was a high smoker/stoner annoyance factor. Pretty much from the first song from the opening band to the last song of the headliner. Overall the concert was extremely loud. So loud it gave my son a headache. He went for a walk in the corridors during most of the second act and that helped. It was unusual seeing musicians who could still be mistaken for young people. The audience was also noticeably younger than our usual. Most were seated until Creed came on then almost everybody stood (I only did for 2 songs). The exception of course was the girl in front of my in line with the view to the stage. She stood for the whole bloody show. I will cover each group separately regarding impressions etc.

finger eleven

I think that the band does not use capitals but I could be wrong.

Setlist:
1. Above
2. First Time
3. Quicksand
4. Together Right
5. Adrenaline
6. One Thing
7. That's All / Paralyzer

"That's All" is the genesis cover. They played a verse and blended into the start of "Paralyzer". The band was good as always. They are a pretty straight up rock band. As I mentioned, these were one my wife's favourites. Also turned out this was their final date opening for Creed. I enjoyed them and my son did too. Turns out he has heard and had "Paralyzer" on his playlist and did not notice the artist. We both enjoyed them. Interesting tidbit. The original name of the band was The Rainbow Butt Monkeys.

Mammoth WVH

I had never heard of the band. During the intermission I googled them. Turns out this is Wolfgang Van Halen's band. The band name is a tribute to the original band his dad was in prior to Van Halen. Anyways still not familiar.

Setlist:
1. Another Celebration at the End of the World
2. Right?
3. Epiphany
4. I'm Alright
5. Like a Pastime
6. Stone
7. Distance
8. Mammoth
9. You're to Blame
10.Take a Bow
11. Don't Back Down

Completely forgettable. Just guitar screaming rock. Not one song grabbed me. I did manage to have a small nap. The monotonous guitar screams lulled me to sleep.

And in case you think some of them were covers, they are not. They just share the name of other songs.

Creed

As I mentioned this was the band I came to see. "HIgher" was my wedding recessional. And a day after my wife's birthday was a sign. I only know 3 creed songs well. A couple others I have heard as album cuts from their "Weathered" CD. My top 3 Creed songs:

1. "With Arms Wide Open" ***** [#178 on my top 1078]
2. "Higher" ***** [#200 on my top 1078]
3. My Sacrifice ***

"WIth Arms Wide Open" was played a lot during the fall of 2000 while my wife was expecting her 4th child (my first). It definitely hit a chord with me.

Setlist:
1. Bullets
2. Freedom Fighter
3. Torn
4. Are You Ready?
5. Never Die
6. My Own Prison
7. What If
8. Say I
9. Unforgiven
10. Don't Stop Dancing
11. One
12. What's This Life For
13. With Arms Wide Open
14. Higher
Encore:
15. One Last Breath
16. My Sacrifice

I will start with the good. The light show was good as was the performance and the sound (although too loud). They started on time. That is about it.

I was not familiar with a lot of their songs. But I enjoyed most. I like their sound. My son found the lead singers dancing amusing. Let's just say he should avoid "Dancing With The Stars". What really spoiled it was his mouth. Every song was proceeded by a speech. And he was not just talking about the song or whatever. He was preaching. Not every speech referred to God but most did. What was worse was most of the crowd seemed to be getting really into the preaching. Lots of 'Yeah!' and so forth. My son felt he was more likely at a cult meeting than a concert.

Overall, it was not a great concert. I am glad I went but I won't go again. The ultimate irony my son pointed out: My wife would have not liked the show. The preaching would have drove her batty.

Upcoming Shows:

2025:
  • Prism & Streetheart [02/28 Casino Rama, Orillia, ON]
  • Billy Joel [03/15 Rogers Centre, Toronto, ON]
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic [07/09 Budweiser Stage, Toronto, ON]
 
There's a thread for that
 
Completely forgettable. Just guitar screaming rock.
I thought his debut album was excellent. His second did nothing for me though.
1. Bullets
I think I actually like this Creed song? One of two. The other is "Overcome" which is okay-ish.
He was preaching. Not every speech referred to God but most did.
If it's the original singer, Scott Stapp, he's one of those "praise God hallelujah Jesus!!" people in public but a scumbag/nutjob in his private life. He went from early fame backstage blowjobs from random fans (WWJD?) to being a psychopath....

Jaclyn Stapp has filed for divorce and is asking for full custody of their children because of an alleged month long methamphetamines and steroid binge last month. According to the Miami Herald, Jaclyn feels Stapp is incapable of taking care of the children and has threatened to kill himself and others during fits of paranoia.

Two of the more telling text message exchanges released to the public include, "I'm coming to get you Satan and children. No mercy. You know how this ends. God created you and now God is ending you," and "Florida is not safe. Biological weapons on the way. U have to leave with kids and meet me in Atlanta."

TMZ reported, the singer called up his son's school on November 10 and told them ISIS was "targeting" his school.
 
Back
Top Bottom