Concerts you have attended?

I read that Counting Crows did very long (and slowed down/mellow) versions of their songs in concert, so I never bothered to go see them. Give me a version of the song that I relate to, sure stretch it out a little if you want, but don't drop the tempo 30BPM and make it 10 minutes long. Snore, zzz....
 
I have seen Springsteen and Steely Dan and did not notice extremely long jams (any more than a usual concert). I did not time each song and they may have done the album version or the 12" single version but I enjoyed each song for both artists. Perhaps Springsteen does it differently when the concert is being recorded? I also saw Steely Dan in 2017 after one of their members had not only left the band but died. Maybe that changed their concert strategy.
I saw Springsteen at Fenway Park, and he did the usual 2.5 - 3 hour concert. Most of the songs had a little extra minute or so tacked on, for solos, or audience participation. But a couple of times during the concert, he'd turn one of his classics into a 10 to 15 minute jam, or he'd make it a medley, or do a mash-up with other artists' songs. And although I only saw him live once, I've seen a couple of live concerts broadcast, and he did a similar thing.

The 2 times I saw Steely Dan was with Becker and Fagen. One of those times Michael McDonald (who opened for them) joined in. Similar to Springsteen, they would add a little bit to most songs for expanded soloing, while turning 1 or 2 songs into longer jams. Another thing they do is rearrange their hits, by replacing the rock-rhythm foundation of a song with more of a jazz or blues groove.

I found this 1993 live performance of Reelin' in the Years - which sounds like the version used in their live compilation "Alive in America" - that exemplifies both the added jamming (it's about 2 minutes longer) and "jazzification"

 
About two weeks ago, I went to see Blink 182. Great show. It was fun. Travis Barker was crazy on the drums.

I was supposed to go to Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins last Saturday, but I needed to work, so I sold my tickets.

I will be going to Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper this Sunday.
 
  • Boomstock (BTO, Sweet, Chilliwack, The Box, UB40) [08/24 Sobeys Stadium, Toronto, ON]

This was tonight. I went with my son and a friend and her friend. This was the first time we have ever been to this venue. It will also be the last. The venue was horrible. For starters it is not downtown. It is in the far corner of Toronto. It is close to the subway but it was a long subway ride. My friend and her friend live outside the city so they drove. Secondly, for a stadium holding maybe 8000 people they had one entrance with 2 security people doing the screening. Needless to say I missed the first half of the first act before I got to my seats. We were on the 300 level (fourth floor). They had no food up there only expensive alcoholic drinks. My son and I had Mikes Hard Lemonade. We decided to have supper after as someone had said the concert which started at 5:30 would be over by 9. It ended at 11 and we did have supper when we got home. Exiting the stadium was also challenging as everybody got funnelled onto a single tiny staircase or 1 slow elevator.

The big issue for the stadium was the sound. This is a tennis stadium. They just started doing concerts here this year. The big issue is that the walls on each side of the stadium are solid. They have no sound absorbing material on them at all. The result is we got a constant and near consistent echo/reverb of either the voices, the guitar or the drums or all 3. Very annoying.

That being said, the concert was excellent. It opened with The Box and I did catch their 3 recognizable songs in the songs they played while we were in our seats. They had a restriction of 30 minutes. They did a heavily abbreviated setlist. Favourites they did: "My Dreams Of You", "Ordinary People", "Closer Together".

Next up was Sweet. They also did an abbreviated setlist of 35 minutes. Favourites they did: "Love Is Like Oxygen", "Fox On The Run", "Little Willy", "Ballroom Blitz".

Next was Chilliwack. They did an abbreviated set of 40 minutes. Last time I saw Chilliwack was with my wife so had some emotional response. Favourites they did: "Lonesome Mary", "Whatcha Gonna Do", "Arms Of Mary", "Crazy Talk", "My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone)", "Fly at Night".

Next was UB40. Coming into this concert, I would say to me they are 1 hit wonders. I know exactly 1 song and it's a Neil Diamond song at that. And they did that song. And a lot of others. I would say 3/4 of the songs were covers but I gather from people's reactions, they are covers that they have released. They also did some songs from their new album. I can't say I really know any more UB40 songs now but I really enjoyed the concert. They had a lot of energy and did a very very good show. They did almost an hour of music only dropping a couple songs from their normal setlist. My son said they were his favourite.

I have been mentioning time here a lot. Between The Box and Sweet there was a 10 minute gap. Between Sweet and Chilliwack there was 15 minutes. But each subsequent break became longer. The first 3 bands shared the same setup including drumset with only adjustments done between sets. This was highly unusual. As far as I can tell drummers are extremely particular about their drums. But in retrospect, if the first 3 bands had not done this, we would still be at the concert or they would have had to start it at noon. Before UB40 and BTO there was considerable delay as the previous stuff had to be removed and new stuff moved into place.

The final performer was BTO (Bachman-Turner Overdrive). They did a lot of Guess Who covers as Randy Bachman was a part of the Guess Who. They also did Tal Bachmans one hit "She's So High" (Tal is now playing with the band). This song came out in 1999 and was while I was dating my wife. Another emotional response.

Behind the band on a screen they had old videos of them doing the same song they were singing but in the 70s. During one of the songs they also played the Simpsons clip where they guest starred. Video only of course. I liked BTO best when they did the BTO classics: ""Roll On Down The Highway", "Let It Ride", "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and "Taking Care of Business". The second last "song" they did was a mash of several songs. They did a verse or 2 of each. It was a lot of fun. The songs:
  • "Hey You"
  • "All Right Now"
  • "Rock'n Me"
  • "You Shook Me All Night Long"
  • "Honky Tonk Woman"
  • "Can't Take My Eye's Of You"
  • "Bang a Gong (Get It On)"
  • "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
  • "It's Only Rock and Roll"
  • "Old Time Rock and Roll"
  • "Hey You" (reprise)
The overall concert was sponsered by the local FM radio station which I listen frequently. Each act was introducted by a DJ from the station (except for UB40 which had no intro). This is also the reason for the name "boomstock".


The abveviated format had some benefits. There were no encores. There were no drum solos and instrument solos were very limited. There was also no issues with any smokers tonight. Given the length of the show that did surprise me although I did hear someone say that unlike other venues, you were able to come and go at this one.

Upcoming Shows:

2024:
  • twentyone pilots [09/27 Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, ON]
  • Creed [11/27 Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, ON]
 
That venue sounds like a death-trap.
One door in is why those people were crushed to death at the Who concert in Cincinnati. One door out is how those people burned to death at the Great White concert at The Station.

Too bad the sound sucked. Parallel concrete walls are prone to slap back echo. The sound system need to be set up more carefully.
 
That venue sounds like a death-trap.
One door in is why those people were crushed to death at the Who concert in Cincinnati. One door out is how those people burned to death at the Great White concert at The Station.

Too bad the sound sucked. Parallel concrete walls are prone to slap back echo. The sound system need to be set up more carefully.
There may have been other "fire exits". But those were not open with people checking tickets prior to the game and did not look to be opened upon exit either likely because they had 2 security guys checking that nobody was talking alcohol out.
 
At the end of the show, it seems pretty funked up that they were doing it that way.
They sound like amateurs running the venue. Maybe they will get better at it.
 
At the end of the show, it seems pretty funked up that they were doing it that way.
They sound like amateurs running the venue. Maybe they will get better at it.
This is quite common. All exits have security. Ontario Liquor laws and licensing is very strict. The difference there is they had sufficient security to cover all exits at other venues.
 
Sorry your great show was at a bad spot.

Next was UB40. Coming into this concert, I would say to me they are 1 hit wonders... I would say 3/4 of the songs were covers but I gather from people's reactions, they are covers that they have released.

I checked and every US and CAN top 40 they've had is a cover.

"Red Red Wine" (Neil Diamond)
"Please Don't Make Me Cry" (Winston Groovy)
"I Got You Babe" (Sonny & Cher)
"Here I Am" (Al Green)
"The Way You Do The Things You Do" (Temptations)
"Can't Help Falling In Love" (Elvis)
"Higher Ground" (Stevie Wonder) (#45 peak)
 
Saw Haircut One Hundred/ABC/Howard Jones at the theater down the street last night.

Even though they were only the openers, I thought Haircut was easily the best band of the night. They were absolutely on fire. You can enjoy 30 seconds of "Kingsize" from this shitty video I took : This is the first time they've toured the US in 40 years, & they mentioned several times from the stage how grateful they were to be back. They seemed very sincere about it, too. Got to meet the band after their set ( they're hanging out at the merch stand when they're done playing ) & got some CD's signed. They were very nice, & really did seem happy to be back at it. They're working on new material, so hopefully when the album's out they can come back to the US & play longer than 30 minutes a night.

ABC was next, & while I really did enjoy the show ( they played right about an hour ) it wasn't anywhere as spontaneous or joyful as Haircut was. It was a very professional, "slick" show - like maybe something you'd see in Vegas. Very entertaining, but not terribly moving.

I'm not the biggest Howard Jones fan ( no problem with him...I like the hits OK ), but I stuck around to see if he surprised me. He didn't. It was pretty much exactly what I expected, so I bailed after a few songs. He was fine - just not my bag. And I'd been up since 4am, so I was beat. So I walked the couple blocks home & got a whoppin' 4 hours sleep last night.
 
It seems like they would have been able to tour here every other year and done reasonably well.

They're a bit of an odd case, in that they were way bigger in the UK than the US. 4 top 10 hits over there, & even though everyone here remembers them because of MTV, the only single that cracked the Top 40 here was "Love Plus One" - & that only got to #37. And after their debut, Nick Heyward ( singer/main songwriter ) left the band for a solo career. The rest of the group put out a 2nd album that did zippo, & that was it. They've reunited a couple times in the past, but this seems to be the first time they're really trying to make it work with new material & real touring.
 
I'm going old school boys. Tomorrow I'm going to put in for PTO from Tuesday, October 29th through Saturday, November 2nd. Which is a week for me. My week is Tuesday through Saturday.

I posted before that I bought tickets for goose in Miami on the 29th and I think I'm going to do something I haven't done since I was in my early twenties and I'm going to follow a jam band around for a week.

Goose plays in Miami on the 29th and 30th And then St. Pete which is basically Tampa on Halloween the 31st. I'm definitely going to go to all three of those. Then they play the first and second in St. Augustine. St. Augustine is about 2 hours north from Disney. My plan is to see the two shows in Miami stay at my house then drive up to Disney. Get my shitty hotel hang out at Disney and universal during the day. Then drive to Tampa and back to see the shows cuz once you're in Disney the Tampa drive's not that bad and then I may go up to St. Augustine to see the final two Florida shows. I'm not 100% on that yet.

Should be fun. Besides Dave with Pam a few months ago, I haven't really seen any live music in years. Like actual bands, I make a point to buy a ticket and go see. Let alone follow a band around for a week. I haven't done that since phish like the year or two after I moved to Florida. So like 2006 or 7.

And I'll be doing it sober this time which is pretty cool. When I went and saw Dave, I didn't have any thoughts of getting high or anything like that, so I assume the same will hold true with goose, especially since I'm breaking it up with Disney visits when I'm at Disney that's the last thing on my mind.

Anyway, sadchild, extend your stay and come on tour with me. It'll be fun. Haha.
 
Got an alert that Weird Al was coming back to Toronto. Tickets were reasonable so my son and I are going.

  • twentyone pilots [09/27 Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, ON]

This show was tonight. The band had an opening act. I will cover each separately. The venue is a familiar one although our usual gate was closed for construction. We got into a line which would have got us to a door by our seats but even though the ticket said "ALL GATE ACCESS" the security guy said that line was for 100 level only. So we found a different line.

Balu Brigada

Based on what the lead singer said, this band is from New Zealand. The lead singer and guitar player along with the other guitar player are brothers. There is a keyboard player and a drummer as well. Both brothers did some lead vocals. The band was completely unremarkable. Nothing I would seek out or even keep the radio on for. But not bad. My son said he wanted to get the playlist so he could use it to fall asleep. Below is the setlist:

1. Moon Man
2. But I Do
3. 2good
4. Designer
5. The Question
6. Find a Way
7. Could You Not
8. So Cold

twenty one pilots

This is the third time we have seen them. We saw them in 2019 in Columbus, OH (their hometown) and in 2022 in Toronto. The seats today were the best seats we had in Toronto. The artist sells general admission seating for the floor. They have a wristband line at 8am to give out 500 wristbands which give them first in line for the general admission line later that day at 4pm. The concert started at 7:45PM. A lot of standing. twenty one pilots uses 2 little islands as a B stage. So it was interesting see how these people thought. Some lined up first in line at the B stages if they were too far back from the main stage. But when the band moved back, inevitably, a sea of people were running across the floor to change their vantage point. The movement of the people was almost as interesting as the concert itself. The band did not shy away from the crowd. They walked through the crowd several times. They even played drums on an island held up by the crowd on one song. The singer also crowd surfed during one song.

The band consists of only 2 members, a drummer and the lead singer who plays various guitars and keyboards to augment the songs. There was some other music being mixed in but it would have had to have been pre-recorded.

The music is my son's music. He loves this band. I liked all the music but they played less of the songs I recognize this time (they drop some classics each tour for new music). I also was hampered by 2 twenty-somethings in front of me who decided they wanted to stand for the whole show. I stood for the songs I liked but wound up just listening to the rest.

The band played to the home city. They had a video intro to one of their songs filmed that day outside this venue. The drummer had a Toronto Raptors shirt on (which he gave away at some point). Setlist is below:

1. Overcompensate
2. Holding On to You
3. Vignette
4. Car Radio
5. The Judge (with “Cut my Lip” snippet)
6. The Craving (Jenna's Version)
7. Tear in My Heart
8. Backslide
9. Shy Away
10. Heathens
11. Next Semester
12. Routines in the Night
[B Stage]
13. Addict With a Pen / Migraine / Forest / Fall Away
14. Mulberry Street
[Main Stage]
15. Navigating
16. Nico and the Niners
17. Heavydirtysoul
18. My Blood
19. Oldies Station
20. Fake You Out
21. Guns for Hands
22. Lavish
23. Ride
24. Paladin Strait
Encore:
25. Jumpsuit
26. Midwest Indigo
27. Stressed Out
28. Trees

Upcoming Shows:

2024:
  • Creed [11/27 Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, ON]
2025:
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic [07/09 Budweiser Stage, Toronto, ON]
 
Got an alert that Weird Al was coming back to Toronto. Tickets were reasonable so my son and I are going.
I would totally fly up there to see weird Al for the first time if it meant I got to meet the one Canadian I actually respect and another guy I also respect even though he lives in Toledo and is an architect. So respecting that guy with those caveats attached means he's got to be a really good guy.

That would be an insane Meetup for the three of us. I'm totally down guys like I'm not joking. If the two of you would actually do it, I'll do it.

EDIT: you said Toronto not Toledo okay. I totally misread that but hey hectic, if you're willing to go to a foreign country, we could still do the three-person Meetup. I'd need to get a passport though. That would be a pain in the ass. I haven't had one since I was in like high school.

EDIT 2: It's kind of hilarious when a city in Canada is a place I would much rather go to visit than your Ohioan home City. I mean you guys know me. I'm a nationalist. Canada sucks. Like everything about it is not great. Yet, I can still admit that the best city in Canada is better than the worst horrible architect-filled hell hole City in America.
 
Last edited:
I would totally fly up there to see weird Al for the first time if it meant I got to meet the one Canadian I actually respect and another guy I also respect even though he lives in Toledo and is an architect. So respecting that guy with those caveats attached means he's got to be a really good guy.

That would be an insane Meetup for the three of us. I'm totally down guys like I'm not joking. If the two of you would actually do it, I'll do it.

EDIT: you said Toronto not Toledo okay. I totally misread that but hey hectic, if you're willing to go to a foreign country, we could still do the three-person Meetup. I'd need to get a passport though. That would be a pain in the ass. I haven't had one since I was in like high school.
If you come up here, I would gladly meet you. I know the odds of me going to Florida are low.
 
If you come up here, I would gladly meet you. I know the odds of me going to Florida are low.
Dude I am not joking. I would love to see weird Al in person for the first time ever and if it meant I got to meet a Canadian I like and maybe his offspring that would be awesome
 
Back
Top Bottom