After The Channel Merger Are You Adding or Canceling Accounts

Since the Music Channel Merger has happened .....

• Are you Adding Sirius Accounts?

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Are You Adding XM Accounts?

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Are You Adding Both Sirius and Xm Accounts?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you Canceling Sirius Accounts?

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Are You Canceling XM Accounts?

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Are You Canceling Both XM and Sirius Accounts?

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Are you doing nothing?

Votes: 58 59.8%

• Total voters

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
I did nothing since the channel merging. Although I am seriously considering re-activating my Pioneer Inno to go along with my XpressRC.

Again, I have really enjoyed the new channel lineup!

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm going to do nothing, just keep my Sirius account and let the channels keep merging. I canceled my XM account long time ago.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I voted I will do nothing for now.

I will keep my 2 Sirius subs for now. They are each ending sometime next year. I just signed up for XM again and I don't want to cancel because I got a great deal.

Maybe things will change by next year, who knows?

TaylorH

Nov 17, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have DirecTV which carries XM which I really didn't prefer to listen to.
So I had a Sirius radio hooked up to the receiver for home use.
Since they merged the music channels and they're all the same now, I can just listen to my favorite Sirius channels through DirecTV and a I can cancel the home receiver. So.... I guess you can say I'm canceling one of my additional radios.

Schlep

Nov 10, 2008
schlep.sexykula.com
Dropped the Inno in favor of Pandora, Last.fm, podcasts, and the music library on my iPhone. I probably would have kept it for talk until I realized I could listen to ESPN Radio, NPR, and Air America on the iPhone as well.

It's sad. I used to load my Inno up with XM Chill and take it to the library with me to study. No longer in school, and Sirius XM Chill is no longer good...things change.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
I'm not renewing my Sirius account (up 12/17) because of a few reasons.

I'm not happy with the lack of support for the SL2 (memory corruption bug,) the channel changes and becuase I think Slacker kicks ass.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I have four Sirius & two XM Subscriptions. The two XM Subs I just re-added.

I will be letting three of my Sirius Subs expire & keep only my Lifetime Sub.

The reason for this? MLB. Best Of Sirius is better than the Best Of XM...:shock:

SoundsLike

Nov 22, 2008
Well...

Had a 1/2 yearly and monthly Sirius Everything sub. Today I just changed them both to monthly that way I'll only lose $20 if they go silent. I'm also considering downgrading both to at least music only if not the least amount of channels possible...I only need 5 while the wife may want to stick with the only channel left for her.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
I've got a lifetime Sirius sub, so I'm canceling my XM sub ASAP.

Now that Escape, Cinemagic, Willie's Place and 40's on 4 are on Sirius, I have almost no reason to subscribe to XM.

As a dual subscriber to both for several years, I've always preferred Siri overall, spending 75% of my listening time with the Dogstar.

There were only about five or so channels on XM that kept me subscribing to them for this long, and at least four of those channels are now on Sirius.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
As a dual subscriber to both for several years, I've always preferred Siri overall, spending 75% of my listening time with the Dogstar.

There were only about five or so channels on XM that kept me subscribing to them for this long, and at least four of those channels are now on Sirius.

I never did the lifetime sub thing, but I sort of went the opposite way you did. I have always found Sirius to be my preferred service, but because of better equipment, better equipment support and due to the fact that all the music and talk that I liked on Sirius is now available on XM, I canceled Sirius and kept my XM sub.

I would really be curious to know how many of us dual subs are actually canceling one or the other and what that is going to mean to the churn numbers at the end of the quarter.

Musicologist

Nov 22, 2008
I never did the lifetime sub thing, but I sort of went the opposite way you did. I have always found Sirius to be my preferred service, but because of better equipment, better equipment support and due to the fact that all the music and talk that I liked on Sirius is now available on XM, I canceled Sirius and kept my XM sub.

I would really be curious to know how many of us dual subs are actually canceling one or the other and what that is going to mean to the churn numbers at the end of the quarter.

Getting the music you like is the important thing. Doesn't really matter how you do it, especially since the merger.

Multi-subbers canceling extra accounts could definitely hurt them right now, when they're already in serious financial straits. Let's hope they have a good Christmas sales season. At least they won't have to compete against each other this year.

XM had an equipment advantage in the early days, primarily because they had portables first, but I believe Sirius quickly evened the playing field with the release of the S100 and SL2. The SL2 is quite simply a VERY impressive unit.

As for content, I now get the excellent XM channels I mentioned in my previous post at no extra charge, but I've also noticed that some of Siri's channels have "freshened up" their playlists since the merger.

Classic Vinyl has freshened their playlist, while retaining the traditional hits-based format, and without excessive repetition. It remains a superb classic rock channel.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

I'm in the minority -- I am not cancelling. I am kinds stuck with the config I have. If Sirius XM was in better shape I may go for a XM lifetime (they now have them) as well. Its only $50 more than the 3 year sub.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Getting the music you like is the important thing. Doesn't really matter how you do it, especially since the merger.

Multi-subbers canceling extra accounts could definitely hurt them right now, when they're already in serious financial straits. Let's hope they have a good Christmas sales season. At least they won't have to compete against each other this year.

You are correct there is no longer a dark side, there is just one side SXM and it doesn't matter which side you go with at this point as long as you have a sub with one side or the other.

I do think we are going to see a tad bit higher churn rate for various reasons; dual subs cutting back to one server or the other, not happy with the changes to the combined music channels.

I'm in the minority -- I am not cancelling. I am kinds stuck with the config I have. If Sirius XM was in better shape I may go for a XM lifetime (they now have them) as well. Its only $50 more than the 3 year sub.

I think many find themselves sort of locked in by their lifetime purchase which keeps them where they are with no real options that don't end up costing them more money. There is just no reason to have both now, but in all fairness I speak to that based on the channels that I like and listen too. I am sure others will find it still remains necessary to sub to both.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think many find themselves sort of locked in by their lifetime purchase which keeps them where they are with no real options that don't end up costing them more money. There is just no reason to have both now, but in all fairness I speak to that based on the channels that I like and listen too. I am sure others will find it still remains necessary to sub to both.

I agree with you. It would just cost me more to move to a single service. I love my SL2 and ideally all my XM radios would be family plan to it.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I am currently a dual subscriber. I have an XM with Best of SIRIUS. The only thing I'm missing is EWTN.

I'm thinking about turning off my SIRIUS Brix Streamer since it is not eligible for Best of XM (plus they don't offer MLB with this package). However, it's not a clear cut decision since my dad has his Streamer on my sub. However, he recently got factory SIRIUS in his Dodge minvan, maybe I can transfer his Streamer to his new account. Maybe a job for Thanksgiving Day.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Cancelled my Sirius accounts. The XM side is so much better when it comes to logo updates (i swear, at the time I deactivated at least HALF of the channels on my Stiletto were missing logos) and I get a better signal from them up here. Not worth it to pay the extra 15 bucks or so I'm saving for the tiny differences between the two services.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Unless they revert back to their former glory I am canceling along with a lot of other people on Wednesday, December 17th.

That is a choice all subscribers have to make. But apparently Sirius XM are booking that there are a lot fewer of folks like you than you seem to think.

I am not canceling, because like TimTime I am actually happy with the changes. Not so happy about the radio cut plays on channels that shouldn't have them, but I think given time with strong feedback this will change.

Beating my chest and making threats, that gets nothing done!

Burden

Nov 26, 2008
I might be moving from Sirius to Xm so that I can get the XMp3. I have a SL2, but I really like the XMp3, and the reviews I have been reading are saying it is a great device. Just slap on Best of Sirius and I am set.