80s0n8 Big 40 Countdown Schedule

29. COVER ME - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

If I remember correctly, this song was originally written for Donna Summer, but Bruce decided to take it himself. Glad he did, one of the better ones off that album.

24. DYNAMITE - JERMAINE JACKSON

Strangest video ever for this song. It's like a bad prison movie set to R&B.


17. ROCK ME TONITE - BILLY SQUIER

Speaking of videos, this is the one that ended his career with that Flashdance-style music video that accompanied the song.

16. LET'S GO CRAZY - PRINCE

Classic. Never get tired of this one. RIP.


9. SHE BOP - CYNDI LAUPER

One of the targets of the PMRC (along with another Prince song, the infamous 'Darling Nikki')



1. GHOSTBUSTERS - RAY PARKER, JR.

AKA 'I want a new drug' from Huey Lewis. (Ol' Huey got PAID for that one!)
 
Safe to say this song was really only a hit because it involved Michael Jackson at the height of his fame?

I never found it that catchy or memorable..


It was right after Thriller. And before the real strange stuff. Michael could have done anything and people would have bought it.
 
37. MY OH MY - SLADE
forgot this song existed. can't say i missed it though.

33. RIGHT BY YOUR SIDE - EURYTHMICS
i prefer their darker side (Love Is A Stranger, Sweet Dreams, Don't Ask Me Why). this song doesn't feel like eurythmics to me (neither do Would I Lie To You and Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves).

31. WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT - TWISTED SISTER
23. PANAMA - VAN HALEN
12. ROUND AND ROUND - RATT

three of my teenage-years staples. classics.

19. DANCING IN THE DARK - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
not a bad song, but not a "bruce song". too bubble gum.

17. ROCK ME TONITE - BILLY SQUIER
people say this video "killed" his career. it did hurt it quite a bit, but i thought his 1989 album was great, and it was fairly successful. i remember hearing 3 songs from it on rock radio over and over again back in 89/90.

7. STATE OF SHOCK - THE JACKSONS
my wife said the same thing others here are saying.

4. WHEN DOVES CRY - PRINCE
i know lots of people love this song, but i still don't like it. it's one of the 3 songs i don't care for on Purple Rain.
 
Last week they ended the broadcast saying that this week's countdown would be 1980. But that appears to have not happened. All we got was the special Labor Day weekend countdown. Next week is 1987 countdown.

What was the theme? Too bad about losing 1980.
 
What was the theme? Too bad about losing 1980.
Countdown the Biggest Summer Hits of the ‘80s all Labor Day weekend long.
Airtimes: Friday 9/2 at 9 p.m. ET; Saturday 9/3 at 11 a.m., 5 p.m. ET; Sunday 9/4 at 12 a.m., 6 a.m., 9 a.m., 4 p.m., 8 p.m. ET; Monday 9/5 at 3 a.m., 7 a.m, 11 a.m.; 5 p.m ET
 
1987

40. VICTIM OF LOVE - BRYAN ADAMS
39. GIVE TO LIVE - SAMMY HAGAR
38. MAKING LOVE IN THE RAIN - HERB ALPERT
37. LITTLE LIES - FLEETWOOD MAC
36. YOU ARE THE GIRL - THE CARS
35. FAKE - ALEXANDER O'NEAL
34. NEVER LET ME DOWN - DAVID BOWIE
33. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR - U2
32. LIES - JONATHAN BUTLER
31. LET ME BE THE ONE - EXPOSE
30. HEART AND SOUL - T'PAU
29. I WANT YOUR SEX - GEORGE MICHAEL
28. CASANOVA – LEVERT
27. JUMPSTART - NATALIE COLE
26. LUKA - SUZANNE VEGA
25. MARY'S PRAYER - DANNY WILSON
24. IT'S NOT OVER ('TIL IT'S OVER) - STARSHIP
23. PAPER IN FIRE - JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP
22. WHO WILL YOU RUN TOO - HEART
21. ONE HEARTBEAT - SMOKEY ROBINSON
20. U GOT THE LOOK - PRINCE
19. WHO FOUND WHO - JELLYBEAN FEATURING ELISA FIORILLO
18. ROCK STEADY - THE WHISPERS
17. CARRIE - EUROPE
16. LOST IN EMOTION - LISA LISA & CULT JAM
15. LOVE POWER - DIONNE WARWICK & JEFFREY OSBORNE
14. I NEED LOVE - LL COOL J
13. WIPEOUT - THE FAT BOYS & THE BEACH BOYS
12. DON'T MEAN NOTHING - RICHARD MARX
11. TOUCH OF GREY - GRATEFUL DEAD
10. I HEARD A RUMOUR - BANANARAMA
9. WHO'S THAT GIRL - MADONNA
8. WHEN SMOKEY SINGS - ABC
7. DOING IT ALL FOR MY BABY - HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS
6. CAN'T WE TRY - DAN HILL (DUET WITH VONDA SHEPARD)
5. ONLY IN MY DREAMS - DEBBIE GIBSON
4. HERE I GO AGAIN - WHITESNAKE
3. DIDN'T WE ALMOST HAVE IT ALL - WHITNEY HOUSTON
2. I JUST CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU - MICHAEL JACKSON WITH SIEDAH GARRETT
1. LA BAMBA - LOS LOBOS
 
I've always heard she was certifiable.
It's not like I ever stood a chance of being in the same room with her back in the day. (Before she wrecked herself with all of that plastic surgery.) 80's music videos were all about objectification, so I was trying to enjoy the art the way the musicians intended.
 
40. VICTIM OF LOVE - BRYAN ADAMS
39. GIVE TO LIVE - SAMMY HAGAR
36. YOU ARE THE GIRL - THE CARS
34. NEVER LET ME DOWN - DAVID BOWIE
23. PAPER IN FIRE - JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP
20. U GOT THE LOOK - PRINCE


A lot of artists that I liked back then released some pretty bad albums in '87. Either I don't know the song, or I don't like it much.

37. LITTLE LIES - FLEETWOOD MAC

Fleetwood Mac, however, released a classic album

33. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR - U2

I used to like this song, until the zillionth time I had to hear it.

13. WIPEOUT - THE FAT BOYS & THE BEACH BOYS

WTF?

11. TOUCH OF GREY - GRATEFUL DEAD

I hate hate hate the Dead, but this song is ok.
 
1987

40. VICTIM OF LOVE - BRYAN ADAMS
39. GIVE TO LIVE - SAMMY HAGAR
38. MAKING LOVE IN THE RAIN - HERB ALPERT
37. LITTLE LIES - FLEETWOOD MAC
36. YOU ARE THE GIRL - THE CARS
35. FAKE - ALEXANDER O'NEAL
34. NEVER LET ME DOWN - DAVID BOWIE
33. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR - U2
32. LIES - JONATHAN BUTLER
31. LET ME BE THE ONE - EXPOSE
30. HEART AND SOUL - T'PAU
29. I WANT YOUR SEX - GEORGE MICHAEL
28. CASANOVA – LEVERT
27. JUMPSTART - NATALIE COLE
26. LUKA - SUZANNE VEGA
25. MARY'S PRAYER - DANNY WILSON
24. IT'S NOT OVER ('TIL IT'S OVER) - STARSHIP
23. PAPER IN FIRE - JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP
22. WHO WILL YOU RUN TOO - HEART
21. ONE HEARTBEAT - SMOKEY ROBINSON
20. U GOT THE LOOK - PRINCE
19. WHO FOUND WHO - JELLYBEAN FEATURING ELISA FIORILLO
18. ROCK STEADY - THE WHISPERS
17. CARRIE - EUROPE
16. LOST IN EMOTION - LISA LISA & CULT JAM
15. LOVE POWER - DIONNE WARWICK & JEFFREY OSBORNE
14. I NEED LOVE - LL COOL J
13. WIPEOUT - THE FAT BOYS & THE BEACH BOYS
12. DON'T MEAN NOTHING - RICHARD MARX
11. TOUCH OF GREY - GRATEFUL DEAD
10. I HEARD A RUMOUR - BANANARAMA
9. WHO'S THAT GIRL - MADONNA
8. WHEN SMOKEY SINGS - ABC
7. DOING IT ALL FOR MY BABY - HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS
6. CAN'T WE TRY - DAN HILL (DUET WITH VONDA SHEPARD)
5. ONLY IN MY DREAMS - DEBBIE GIBSON
4. HERE I GO AGAIN - WHITESNAKE
3. DIDN'T WE ALMOST HAVE IT ALL - WHITNEY HOUSTON
2. I JUST CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU - MICHAEL JACKSON WITH SIEDAH GARRETT
1. LA BAMBA - LOS LOBOS

Two years of hell began for me right around this time so ANY countdown from this 1987-88 time frame are VERY difficult for me to listen to even though I personally feel there was a lot of good stuff out there from the fall of 87 through about June or July of 89(when I finally recovered from personal issues in my life)
 
40. VICTIM OF LOVE - BRYAN ADAMS
39. GIVE TO LIVE - SAMMY HAGAR
36. YOU ARE THE GIRL - THE CARS
34. NEVER LET ME DOWN - DAVID BOWIE
23. PAPER IN FIRE - JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP
20. U GOT THE LOOK - PRINCE


A lot of artists that I liked back then released some pretty bad albums in '87. Either I don't know the song, or I don't like it much.

37. LITTLE LIES - FLEETWOOD MAC

Fleetwood Mac, however, released a classic album

33. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR - U2

I used to like this song, until the zillionth time I had to hear it.

13. WIPEOUT - THE FAT BOYS & THE BEACH BOYS

WTF?

11. TOUCH OF GREY - GRATEFUL DEAD

I hate hate hate the Dead, but this song is ok.

I think the Cars released their greatest hits album during this time frame and You Are the Girl was one of the new tracks on the album and Bryan Adams released an album in 1987 that was a disappointment compared to the previous release of his which was"Reckless". That was part of the reason in 1991 he hired Mutt Lange to produce that Album which was an absolute monster for him getting him back his momentum he lost after 1987.
 
Back
Top Bottom