2020 Movies & TV Shows

watched about 12 hours of downton abbey in a row.

in a nutshell: bunch of olden times rich silly sounding people have everything go awfully wrong all the time but they come back together and love each other as a family...servants included. i know it is a fictional show but it's nice. makes me think that is how people should be in general.

just try not to be a dick and try to love other people....isn't that kinda the meaning of life?

see you all in another 12 hours.
 
Finally saw Rocketman. Right from the start, you have to accept that it's kind-of a musical that's taking artistic license with the story for entertainment. But as it went along, it just got dumber and dumber. At times it seems like it was written by the same guy who did the Freddy Mercury movie. Things happen with no explanation. Elton is a child prodigy on piano - OK. But he never sang. And then when he eventually sings, he's amazing. He and Bernie are never shown working together - not once. Elton just magically turns everything into perfectly completed and finalized hits. They never show him gathering popularity, fame and wealth. One day he's nobody, the next day he's famous. So without a point to the movie, the fact that all the music is out of sequence is annoying.
 
i can gladly get behind a good musical...thanks for the warning on this one. for queen i liked the farm aid reenactment of that one song.
 
I guess because the summertime weather is here, I was in the mood to watch the coldest looking movie I could think of...

Fargo (1996) - this movie is still as great as I remember it to be. Love Marge, the sleazy characters, the dark humor, the "Minnesota nice" accents.

Also watched … Diner (1982) - I think this movie should be way more famous than it is. Truly funny and great dialogue throughout. I watched it twice in the 48 hour rental time period.

 
I guess because the summertime weather is here, I was in the mood to watch the coldest looking movie I could think of...

Fargo (1996) - this movie is still as great as I remember it to be. Love Marge, the sleazy characters, the dark humor, the "Minnesota nice" accents.
One of my favorites. I like when the neighbors are shoveling their driveways, it's like -10, and one of them looks up and says "I hear it's gonna turn cold". "Ayup".

And this "One of the guys was funny looking". "In what way?" "Oh, just a general way".
 
ok, space force is funny and the supporting cast is mostly all people i listen to on comedy podcasts.

specifically tawny newsome, jim yang, jessica st clair and ben schwartz.

There's soooo much great dialogue in that movie.

dude. ever try to get through my dinner with andre? that's like all words.

quentin tarantino is big on being wordy too. but at least he has stuff shoot and stab stuff mixed in.
 
Nope. Never tried.

consider yourself lucky.

that was a better life decision than i attempted to make.

it's like famous cinema that i thought was worth trying..boy oh boy...very bad decision trying to artistically enrich my life on that front.
 
consider yourself lucky.

that was a better life decision than i attempted to make.

it's like famous cinema that i thought was worth trying..boy oh boy...very bad decision trying to artistically enrich my life on that front.
I'm pretty sure it was on Memebag's list of favorite movies.
 
I watched it. I was a film nerd there in my early 20's. the wife didn't get the gag in Guffman, then she laughed like a maniac when I pulled the movie, and she's a big fan of wallace shawn too. Andre action figures, pure genius.
 
so i am just not good with accents i guess.

i watched like 20 straight hours of downton abbey and i can understand what they are saying and they sound super silly. i have seen all of the wire and the sopranos two different accents that also sound dumb and i was able to get it...so wins there. i also like this youtube guy who is clearly southern and i like and can understand him:



but now i am trying to watch this new amazon movie...the vast of night. it's a 2019 sci fi movie they recently bought and released. it is quite clearly dealing with 50's southern type people and i am simply struggling to understand the words the male star says. but it's cool and they literally do a twilight zone rip off thing in the beginning so i want to like it. twilight zone is the best and it's connected to disney with the tower of terror so a clear homage to the best sci fi stuff ever is obviously something i want to try to like.

this trailer doesn't do it justice...



you are all prime members? try to watch it for like 15 mins. you will see where i am coming from.
 
I think this is good:


I'm 2 weeks behind on my favorite movie podcast and just heard about it getting pulled about an hour ago.

I don't even like the movie but in general I think it's a bad idea to just start pulling art from the past because times have changed. A disclaimer is good though. They certainly have on in The Birth of a Nation (which I still have not been able to get all the way through).

And my thought here kinda goes for monuments too. I think it's wrong for them to be destroyed by an angry Simpsons style mob, but I also think it's best they are not on public land. Pick them up and put them in museums.

1593055094834.png
 
So we found a new TV series to watch, since The Morning Show and Dead to Me are both done for now. Someone told Mrs Scotch about Atypical with Michael Rappaport and Jennifer Jason Leigh, which started airing in 2017. It's about a family with a kid who has Asperger's is autistic is on the spectrum. We're not usually into shows about kids, and we also don't care much about making ourselves feel good because we're watching an "enlightened" show. So I was reluctant, and while we both thought the 1st episode was OK, it also focused a lot on the special kid. I assumed we were going to pass on it, but a couple of nights later the wife is flipping through the channels, because nothing's on. She dials-up Atypical again, the 2nd episode is good, we watch another, and get hooked. I think now we're halfway through the 1st season, and it's really well-written and very entertaining. They have a good story line for each of the major (and minor) characters. Anyone else watching this?
 
Back
Top Bottom