Slacker G2 dock listed on Amazon.com

Oct 29, 2008
I have noticed this on other sites as well in the past. Always with no pic, and no stock. I think these sites just have the space reserved for the product, but do intend to sell them at some point.
I think slacker is just busy with other priorities right now. Seems they have a number of things they are dealing with. Which puts the dock not on the top of the list. I am positive they will release a dock, but not yet. I think it will be a little while still. I have no need for a dock at this point. If the car dock had the right features I might consider that though in the future. So I am not in any rush to see the docks released. Clearly though there is a demand for it, and I'm sure slacker can see this as well. It is understandable they want to build that listener base first, and not get ahead of themselves. As now they are selling more portables so the dock effort will be more worth it now.

Oct 29, 2008
Clearly Amazon is advertising for a home dock. It is not a question of if one will be released, but rather when will they be released. I'd rather see a car dock released first as a won't use a home dock. Seems many people have issues with the refresh process. So maybe if they released that car dock that has the ability to connect to a satellite for refreshing. Listeners may have interest in this. As they won't have to use their home/office network to connet to ICS refresh process. The satellite refresh would be a easy process for those having difficulty refreshing the player at home/office. Frankly I 'm not having this issue. So I'd be happy to see a car dock release with some standard features on it. Whatever 2009 should be a good year for Slacker.....

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think there is interest in both a home and car dock myself. But Amazon's listing shows 2 to 4 weeks that is usually what is says when an item is not actual available at this point.

I do think they are working on it, but when they will be released is a question that even the support guys over on Slacker seem to like to avoid.

I would certainly be in for one of these when they are available.

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
The satellite refresh would be a easy process for those having difficulty refreshing the player at home/office.

It's my understanding that a satellite car dock would not "refresh" the same way the G2 does over WiFi or USB, as it would be a one-way signal. Basically, the car dock would be designed for truckers or people driving allot with no place to refresh. Essentially, the satellite signal is constantly sending data down to the device, music of all genres and types. The Slacker device then is monitoring the stream constantly, and grabs only what fits into your stations.

I would expect to see such a setup only if Slacker REALLY takes off and breaks into the mainstream. Many people didn't expect them to survive past the G1 device, and if they get those BlackBerry and iphone apps out they can continue this upward trend. Their forums were a ghost-town until recent months. Those cheap G1's are helping them pick up some steam.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It's my understanding that a satellite car dock would not "refresh" the same way the G2 does over WiFi or USB, as it would be a one-way signal. Basically, the car dock would be designed for truckers or people driving allot with no place to refresh. Essentially, the satellite signal is constantly sending data down to the device, music of all genres and types. The Slacker device then is monitoring the stream constantly, and grabs only what fits into your stations.

I think initially they should just try to get a regular car dock out that would just offer audio-out, power to the dock in order to charge the device. In other words keep it simple and keep it cheap.

I honestly see very little need for the device you describe above, though how it works makes sense to me. But most trucks stop at large truck stops which generally have wifi. While they are fueling up, grabbing a bite to eat and sometimes even resting, they can refresh their device. Also truckers probably should get the larger gb device so that they can not only store more stations, but have more music in those individual stations.

Yep for me just a plain Jane home and car dock is all I want!

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
Hopefully they'll announce the (regular old) car dock at CES. If they can keep it $30 like the home dock that would be great too.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hopefully they'll announce the (regular old) car dock at CES. If they can keep it $30 like the home dock that would be great too.

I hope they don't make the mistake that Sirius XM did early on by trying to include an FM trans in the docks because that would slow it down and require FCC approval. If someone needs to use an FM trans they can just plug it into the audio-out on the dock.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
I have a need for both a home AND car dock. I just want something the G2 Player snaps into that will provide power in and audio out thru the bottom connector. This way you get a stable platform to hold and display the player without any messy wires - very important in the car, but also nice at home or in the office.

As soon as a car dock is available I'm buying it... so hurry up Slacker, get busy on a solution.

Oct 29, 2008
Like I said they are very busy right now, but according to RomeE we will be seeing some changes in the near future. Will it be docks ? Your guess is as good as mine, but I have seen docks on sites with no stock for a little while now. So that Amazon link means very little to me at this point. Certainly it is in the works though.

RomeE wrote:I'm not sure if you noticed, but alot of our website is generated about selling one thing at a time. In order to have a landing page, and multiple products showing up does take time, so as our web team has a chance to catch up with a ton of things going on (hint hint, CES is next week) I anticipate more changes to the Subscription pages.

pattere14

Dec 6, 2008
Best case scenario for me: Car dock with line out and power AND boombox. I have my G2 rigged up to my soloist through the line in and a cell phone charger to have the display always on. It looks a mess. Sounds good though

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Best case scenario for me: Car dock with line out and power AND boombox. I have my G2 rigged up to my soloist through the line in and a cell phone charger to have the display always on. It looks a mess. Sounds good though

That is my exact setup in my bedroom and sometimes when I use it at the office as I have two Soloist Docks. I was going to sell them with my Sirius equipment, but since it works with the iPod and of course has the line in as well as aux-in I decided to just keep them both.

pattere14

Dec 6, 2008
Yeah Dab. i have one soloist at work and one in the living room at home. Both still kicking. My Stiletto 100 is currently on ebay and a buddy is buying the boombox. I canceled my sirius sub last night. It was sad but Slacker (especially with the docks) is a step up.

willie321

Oct 18, 2008
Pennsylvania
I am a slow learner...

I had put my Soloist away when my office moved and I lost my west exposure at work rendering my Stiletto unusable. I had been searching around for a set of speakers to use my G2 with at work when I remembered the Soloist. Dug it out today, and have been listening to my Slacker in the den all afternoon. I will be taking it back into the office Monday! I had forgotten how well the Soloist sounds. Even took a break from and put the SL100 in and listened via wifi for a bit.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I had put my Soloist away when my office moved and I lost my west exposure at work rendering my Stiletto unusable. I had been searching around for a set of speakers to use my G2 with at work when I remembered the Soloist. Dug it out today, and have been listening to my Slacker in the den all afternoon. I will be taking it back into the office Monday! I had forgotten how well the Soloist sounds. Even took a break from and put the SL100 in and listened via wifi for a bit.

Yeah the Soloist and the Slacker Portable work very well together with the ability to use either the aux-input or line-in. I too really like the sound of the Soloist.

I think it always got a bad wrap from folks, but its been great for me!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I ordered the slacker homedock from amazon
yesterday hope it does come in if not i can always
cancel the order

I think you are likely to get an email saying that product is currently not available if it remains out of stock for so long.

But with it showing up on Amazon maybe that is a sign that they fixing to release these things. It would certainly be nice if they did.

KTMCDO

Oct 15, 2008
ALBUQUERQUE NM
The slacker G2 dock is indeed real
just got an email from amazon concerning
my order which I placed for the dock it has shipped
via UPS and should arrive this friday