Semi Did It Again!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
This is from the radio news site Talkers.com, March 20:

Des Moines sports talk host dies in highway collision
. An accident yesterday on Interstate 80 took the life of KBGG-Des Moines "1700 The Champ" sports talk host Gantry R. Miller, a.k.a. Wolfgang. The 44-year-old radio personality had pulled over and exited his car around 9:45 am when he was struck by a semi-truck. He was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. Miller co-hosted "The Drive with Wolfgang and Steen." The station wrote on its website, "It is with great sadness that we share with you the passing of our dear friend and fellow broadcaster, Gantry 'Wolfgang' Miller. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time."

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Excuse my french, but that's mostly bullshit. While it's true that cooperation would alleviate some of the slowdowns, they make some glaring mistakes and omissions.

1) Rotaries - There's a rotary (or round-a-boot) about every 50 ft in Massachusetts. They don't work. If you doubt that, check-out the Concord rotary on Rt. 2. People think that rotaries allow traffic to keep moving at all times; but it doesn't.

2) Merges and exits - any way you cut it, if you are on a 3-lane highway, and a good amount of the vehicles are taking a 1-lane exit, traffic will slow down. Even the video shows that. Of course the cloverleaf doesn't help, but it would be very costly to have overpassing exit ramps.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Excuse my french, but that's mostly bullshit. While it's true that cooperation would alleviate some of the slowdowns, they make some glaring mistakes and omissions.

1) Rotaries - There's a rotary (or round-a-boot) about every 50 ft in Massachusetts. They don't work. If you doubt that, check-out the Concord rotary on Rt. 2. People think that rotaries allow traffic to keep moving at all times; but it doesn't.

2) Merges and exits - any way you cut it, if you are on a 3-lane highway, and a good amount of the vehicles are taking a 1-lane exit, traffic will slow down. Even the video shows that. Of course the cloverleaf doesn't help, but it would be very costly to have overpassing exit ramps.

I think insurance companies have convinced municipalities to put round-a-bouts in to limit liability

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

Over the years this part of the movie has stuck with me way more than all the action bits.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Statistically, as in more often than not, roundabouts are more efficient than stop lights and signs.

In the Boston area, nothing will help.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's 100% accurate. Part of Eisenhower's plan with the highways was also to make sure that every few miles, the highway would be straight enough that they could land military aircraft on them if needed.

One of the other bad things that happened to cities when they added the highways was that if they didn't cut through the middle of downtowns and neighborhoods, they often sepearatd urban areas from their waterfronts. Look at New York, Cincinnati, San Francisco, and a bunch of other cities. The quality of life drops and it chases people out of cities to the suburbs. Cities are spending tons of money trying to correct the problem to help draw people back to live there again.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That's 100% accurate. Part of Eisenhower's plan with the highways was also to make sure that every few miles, the highway would be straight enough that they could land military aircraft on them if needed.

One of the other bad things that happened to cities when they added the highways was that if they didn't cut through the middle of downtowns and neighborhoods, they often sepearatd urban areas from their waterfronts. Look at New York, Cincinnati, San Francisco, and a bunch of other cities. The quality of life drops and it chases people out of cities to the suburbs. Cities are spending tons of money trying to correct the problem to help draw people back to live there again.

You have fallen for an urban myth about those straight sections of the interstate.

FACT CHECK: Interstate Highways as Airstrips

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yes, that is why Chesley Sullenberger landed a disabled US Airways jet in the Hudson River instead of on I-84. However, last October a small plane landed on the 8 freeway in El Cajon, east of San Diego:

Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Damnit Semi! This personal assault is unacceptable and you need to apologize.

While driving home on the turnpike there was roadwork and it was down to one lane. I slowed down to probably 65 and Semi was in front of me. The other lanes were blocked off with cones. Semi, driving like he's never been in a truck before, rode over like 10 cones in a row, spewing them out into the middle of the one open lane. I couldn't avoid the first one and drove right over it at speed. It was unpleasant. I was worried for the RAV cause the square bottom part went right under my car and made a jarring noise but she seems to have handled it like a champ and only has some black scuff marks on the bumper that I think I can clean off. After that I slowed way down to like 45 and drove completely on the shoulder to avoid the rest of the cones. I think the guy behind me got it worse cause he came to a full stop.

Pull it together Semi.

Reactions: scotchandcigar