Let's talk uppity liquor

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by memebag, Mar 20, 2011.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

So while I was at the NH State liquor store buying this
    20190315_214435_resized.jpg
    I came across this (ignore the reflection through the locked glass case)
    20190315_151118_resized.jpg
    It was a tough choice, but I decided to save $4,957.99. Guess I'm a cheapskate.

2. scotchandcigar

3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Usually they mistakenly give me a diet soda instead of a regular one.

I should start ordering wine.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  4. scotchandcigar

It also raises other questions in my mind, about the intrinsic value of things. If I expected to be driving a Honda, but it turned out to be a Ferrari, I'd know it. If my J&B order ends up being Balvenie Caribbean Cask, I'd know it. But this person ordered a $300 bottle of wine - already likely of dubious value over a $50 wine - and got a $6k bottle, and just drank it. Said nothing. No "holy shit, this stuff's amazing! There's no way this is the $300 wine I ordered." I really wonder if they noticed any difference.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Anything over $25 or $30 and I'd never know it.

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

For $300 I could spend two nights in my favorite hotel in San Antonio and drink a $50 bottle of wine at my favorite bar on the Riverwalk.

7. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

A Canadian hotel has served more than 86,000 "Sourtoe cocktails" containing a mummified human toe. Sometimes the toe gets stolen and then a new one has to be located. Yeah, I'd hate to see such a charming tradition come to an end because of a toe thief.

A British man donated his frozen big toe to a Yukon bar so he can drink it in a cocktail

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/frozen-toe-yukon-bar-intl-scli/index.html

8. scotchandcigar

I almost posted this myself, but the story got kind of confusing and goofy.