Hurricane Season

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Hurricane Lee has been downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone. This afternoon it made landfall in Nova Scotia. Heavy rain is expected in New Brunswick and western Maine. The continuously-updated United States Power Outage website says 52,601 customers in Maine have no electricity. In Alaska, only two customers are without power. I wonder why. Maybe a polar bear knocked a power pole down?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Mrs' cousin lives in Nova Scotia. Her condo has a balcony that faces the water.
She has posted a photo of the crazy skies and waves before the storm hit, but it didn't sound like anything bad had happened.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Looks like Nova Scotia/New Bruswick and parts of Maine might be getting the remnants of another tropical storm. Phillipe will only make Tropical Storm status and will be post-tropical when it is forecasted to make landfall. But this is only NOAA making the prediction and what do they know?

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The storm came through on Monday. Today, my neighbor's driveway still looks like this

tree.jpg

As we all know, they are in Florida. But after we got our power back, their generator was still running, until their house maintenance guy came over. I'm not sure if their power is on or off, but they know about it, and the caretaker knows about it, so it's not my problem. But CMP (the power company) is very backed-up with damage all over the state.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wowzers. They got lucky that the tree(s) went toward the power lines and not the house.
It would have really sucked if they came home with a tree through the roof.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
A few weeks ago I decided it was time to do some real hurricane prep. I bought a bunch of canned goods that don't expire until the end of next year and I got a few cases of water to just leave in what I have now dubbed my hurricane closet. I'm perfectly happy to drink tap water daily so the cases will stay there until whenever they are needed.

I also finally got one of those big battery packs. This one:

1713400747610.png

Portable Power Station 600W, Powkey 296Wh Battery Backup with 2 Pure Sine Wave AC Outlets, USB-C PD100W and 2 Wireless Chargers​

I bought a crank radio with weather band and flashlight attached and a battery powered fan.

I then put all the stuff I already had in the closet with my new hurricane toys. So a lantern, flashlights, my other fans, batteries and most importantly my little handheld game systems (other than the Switch) cause those will keep me entertained.

It's been a long time since my area has had a direct hit so we're overdue. I'll be as ready as a renter can be when it happens.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
When US/China tensions began growing over Taiwan, one my aunts recommended everyone stock up on food and paper products. We've been doing so ever since. We have a metal cabinet in the basement (usually used for paint cans and stuff) full of food and we review expiration dates quarterly.

bloom county i could eat a tree.jpg