Cord Cutters

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Of all the sites I subscribed to since getting my new-ish TV, HBO Max is by far the one I use the most. I find the content they have is well worth the premium price.
Me too. I liked HBO Max the most. Right now with my HBO Max content disabled with the gift card, I'm catching up on all the HBO shows until I resubcribe for HBO Max.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Woo hoo! I just downloaded the app for HBO max. And since I get HBO through my Spectrum cable, I was able to sign-in to HBO max through my Spectrum account. Friends reunion is on!

Do you get 4K through your cable boxes? We get free cable w/the HOA and it's only 1080p so the apps through the Comcast box are also only 1080p. That's why I have to run HBO Max through my XBOX Series X. It's an annoying extra step that I only have to do for that service (all the rest have apps on my Vizio home screen) but it's worth it because it has quickly become the best streaming service.

I went to the store to purchase another HBO NOw gift card to load

At what store do you get them? Right now that's my only streaming service I pay for monthly w/o a gift card balance I load into my account.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
but now the store was having trouble activating them.
Sonsabitches!

I suppose that's one benefit of not having cut the cord. At least we get max for free. I can picture that being a bait and switch though and they will try to start charging us at some point. Sonsabitches..........

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Do you get 4K through your cable boxes? We get free cable w/the HOA and it's only 1080p so the apps through the Comcast box are also only 1080p. That's why I have to run HBO Max through my XBOX Series X. It's an annoying extra step that I only have to do for that service (all the rest have apps on my Vizio home screen) but it's worth it because it has quickly become the best streaming service.
I used my cable provider's sign-in to get HBO max, but the streaming service itself is accessed via my Fire Stick. Regular HBO is through my cable.

When they built my plasma TV, 4k didn't exist. Nothing in my house is 4k.

Reactions: JHDK

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
At what store do you get them? Right now that's my only streaming service I pay for monthly w/o a gift card balance I load into my account.
Walgreen's, Target and maybe Best Buy still have the Hbo Now gift cards around here. But unlike Netflix or Hulu, you have to cancel out your membership to HBO Max, in order to use a Hbo now gift card to go back into HBO Max. Otherwise, it won't take. At least that's what happened to me last year when I tried to use my gift card to pay for the HBO Max service. So I waited for my discount membership to expire before I cancelled out to use my old gift card.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm thinking of signing up for Curiosity Stream. It's all like nature and history docs and it's only $20/year. Plus it has an app on my Vizio so I won't have to run it through the Xbox X.

EDIT: Through some Youtube channel I watch there's a promotion that makes it $15/year. For that little, why not? I just signed up.

saw on the Gas TV

I hate those. They are annoying ads and always super loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Considering HBO Max and/or the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package in the not too distant future. Already have Amazon Prime Video (don't watch much) and Apple TV+ (Ted Lasso looks pretty good). Maybe a live streaming service sometime soon.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Good selection of viewing on those.

If I had to rank them based on personal usage (and keep in mind I'm almost 100% movies at this point):

HBO Max
Amazon Prime
Hulu
Tubi (free)
Netflix
Starz
Disney+
Peacock (free)
Pluto (free)
Showtime (did not renew)
Criterion (did not renew)
YouTube (free)
Apple+ (free with phone purchase)
Paramount+ (1 month rental)
Kanopy (free with library card)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Considering HBO Max and/or the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package in the not too distant future. Already have Amazon Prime Video (don't watch much) and Apple TV+ (Ted Lasso looks pretty good). Maybe a live streaming service sometime soon.
Ted is really good, but they are 1/2 hour shows, so the season goes by, very quickly.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
Word on the street ( and by the street, I mean Facebook ) is that Google Fiber is doing away with their TV/cable offering. So I'm probably gonna have to do some more reading on this thread, as it looks like I'll be in the market for some kinda streaming "cable". I'd like something that I can get my Royals games on, but I dunno if that's gonna be possible.

• Sad
Reactions: HecticArt

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I did cancel Amazon Prime since I'm losing the student discount when my subscription is up for renewal, which means it's back to $119 a year (too much for what I do with it, and I'd rather not help fund Bezos' next space jaunt).

Will likely get the aforementioned services soon.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
They are all good deals if you use them. I use the at least 6 views a month policy

I still think about this post all the time in relation to all my streaming services. I watched all of Dr. Death using Peacock premium yesterday so that makes it worth the month. That's the cheapest service at only like $6 or $7 per month.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Amazon Prime
Prime Video and Music are confusing.

With the music it was "Prime Music = listen for free (anything marked as a Prime song)". Then came "Music Unlimited" which has more songs you can listen to than "Prime Music". But I only have Prime (for the free shipping prime-arily). So I'll make a 'rock playlist' of Prime songs. But my searches list a bunch of Unlimited songs that I can't add to the list. Then I go back to that playlist a few months later and 1/3 of the songs are greyed-out (no longer available). It's a mess.

Prime Video has some movies for free, others to rent, others to buy (streaming rights to), and some are mix of two of those categories.

FFS get it together people.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Prime Video and Music are confusing.

With the music it was "Prime Music = listen for free (anything marked as a Prime song)". Then came "Music Unlimited" which has more songs you can listen to than "Prime Music". But I only have Prime (for the free shipping prime-arily). So I'll make a 'rock playlist' of Prime songs. But my searches list a bunch of Unlimited songs that I can't add to the list. Then I go back to that playlist a few months later and 1/3 of the songs are greyed-out (no longer available). It's a mess.

Prime Video has some movies for free, others to rent, others to buy (streaming rights to), and some are mix of two of those categories.

FFS get it together people.

Prime video has the "Free to Me" section that narrows it all down to only the stuff free for normal Prime members.

With Prime music they often offer 3 months of unlimited for $0.99/month and I jump on that every time and set a reminder on my phone to cancel it. With basic Prime music I usually just tell Alexa to play 90's Rock or Jam Bands or Classic Rock. That way it only gives me songs free with basic Prime music. After a while it puts together a channel for you based on your previous listening habits.