Cord Cutters

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Everything looks live even movies and tv shows
That may not be a good thing. There's an artifact on many LCD TVs they call Soap Opera Effect. It's actually caused by the "motion smoothing" feature that's needed for watching sports without getting stuttered motion. Anyway, SOE makes movies look like they were shot on video (i.e. cheap). Some people notice it more than others.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
This is the one I got.
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55"-class---q7dt-series---4k-uhd-qled-lcd-tv---allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100649166.html
I wanted adaptive backlit, but nobody had one locally in stock.
The 50” - 55” size range made it a little tougher to find one. Our living room isn’t big enough for a larger screen, and I didn’t really want to spend more than $1500 on something that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
They are supposed to drop it off Friday. I’ll probably waste most of the weekend trying to get it set up.

Dude, that's really sweet. Congrats on the awesome pick up. I just jumped into the HDR10 world, I now want to see HDR10+. And while the setup is annoying, it's also kinda fun. Enjoy.

I got my Samsung at Target back in May and the HBO Max was pre installed. I signed for HBO Max pre launch for the discount not knowing that an agreement had not been reached with Roku, so I had to scramble to find a good new Samsung set since I heard new Samsung's would carry HBO Max. I was due for a new TV too. The pictures these days are really amazing. Everything looks live even movies and tv shows

As I've posted about, the HBO Max thing was my problem too. I didn't research what apps mine came with and was sad to see no HBO Max. Luckily I decided to waste more money and buy the XBOX Series X so no everything goes through there. Sometimes I will watch Youtube or Prime through the TV home screen but that's about it, at least for now.

That may not be a good thing. There's an artifact on many LCD TVs they call Soap Opera Effect. It's actually caused by the "motion smoothing" feature

That's interesting. In gaming "motion blurring" is a sought after feature.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There's an artifact on many LCD TVs they call Soap Opera Effect.
The TV we have now had the SOE when we got it home big time. I hated it.
I found a couple of websites where people share their settings for their TVs. Once I found those, the setup was much easier.
I should browse around to see if I can find one for this set.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I just paid the $5 for Pea(COCK) premium for a month cause I'm switching back and forth from Doctor Who to BSG and ads suck.

I set a reminder on my phone to cancel it next month.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I got the Mrs. a new iPad for Christmas, and it comes with a free year or Apple TV, and the new TV comes with 6 months free of Showtime, so we're going to have some more stuff to watch once we activate those.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
They are all good deals if you use them. I use the at least 6 views a month policy

I think about that statement very often Madison.

Of all the new stuff I signed up for, it seems Starz is the only one that does not fit into the 6 views per month category. I paid for 3 months of Starz and when that ends at the end of February I set a reminder on my phone to cancel it.

Like I told you before, that was really great advice! Otherwise I'd probably just let it auto-renew indefinitely.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I think about that statement very often Madison.

Of all the new stuff I signed up for, it seems Starz is the only one that does not fit into the 6 views per month category. I paid for 3 months of Starz and when that ends at the end of February I set a reminder on my phone to cancel it.

Like I told you before, that was really great advice! Otherwise I'd probably just let it auto-renew indefinitely.

I really didn't care much for Starz either, when I had it. At least compared to the others. If it wasn't for "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood", I wouldn't have been viewing it at all there at the end.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I ponied up for Disney + a few weeks ago ( the cheaper annual option ) because I wanna see the Marvel shows when they start. While we wait, we've been tearing thru "The Mandalorian" - which I've liked a surprising amount. After seeing the first 2 "new" Star Wars movies I thought I was done with the franchise.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Mrs. had a couple of free months of Disney for something so she signed up. We watched the first Mandalorian and liked it. We need to get back to watching more of them.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
The Mrs. had a couple of free months of Disney for something so she signed up. We watched the first Mandalorian and liked it. We need to get back to watching more of them.
You mean the first episode, or the first season? There were a couple kinda "place holder" episodes in the first season where I thought "where's this going?" but it finishes up strong. We're 2-3 episodes into the 2nd season now.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt