Censorship: This week only

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The newer XM radios too allow you to turn off xL channels and password protect it so that others can't turn it back on. But with the push of a button and code you can turn them back on without having to deal with the service itself. The tuner will allow you to manage this on your own. I know Xpress tuners and XMp3 tuners support this feature.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
The newer XM radios too allow you to turn off xL channels and password protect it so that others can't turn it back on. But with the push of a button and code you can turn them back on without having to deal with the service itself. The tuner will allow you to manage this on your own. I know Xpress tuners and XMp3 tuners support this feature.

Yeah that's how I'm gonna turn those channels off on my XMp3. But my car tuner doesn't have that feature, and I sometimes enjoy going through the channels, 4-247 and seeing whats on. I don't need government mandated programming shoved down my throat on a service I'm paying for. Now, to get back on topic, I have noticed a decrease in censorship. it's not completely gone yet, but they seem to be doing a good job of dealing with it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah that's how I'm gonna turn those channels off on my XMp3. But my car tuner doesn't have that feature, and I sometimes enjoy going through the channels, 4-247 and seeing whats on. I don't need government mandated programming shoved down my throat on a service I'm paying for. Now, to get back on topic, I have noticed a decrease in censorship. it's not completely gone yet, but they seem to be doing a good job of dealing with it.

Yeah, that would be a cool feature on all tuners that way you could deal with it on your own. I also agree with you about government mandated programming!

I too have noticed they are slowly getting rid of the radio edits, not quick enough for some though, but it is improving.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
agreed. time marches on and things seem to be clearing up....except for where to get my dose of BIGGIE SMALLS and Co.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
XM's system is capable of blocking any channel at the request of the subscriber, you just have to get someone halfway competent, which is very difficult with their horrendous support. I, myself plan on doing this when they put those minority channels on seeing as my car tuner doesn't have the ability to lock out certain channels and i don't see the need for them.

I've called XM three times this week in an attempt to have just certain XL channels blocked. The second time I called I said, "OK, just block 99 and I'll be happy." The third time I called (today), the CSR said that I could block whatever channels I wanted by clicking on the "Help and Support" link on the XM web page. Nope. This page only gave me the option to block ALL of the XL channels. Has anyone successfully blocked the XM channels of their choice? I have an XM Roady2.

At least on my SIRIUS Streamer, I can "skip" certain channels using the radio menu. Is it possible to block certain SIRIUS channels either by phone or online?

Thanks.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area

DAB, the Xpress looks good.

Taylor, can people buy gift cards for TSS? Now that SIRIUS XM is merged, will you start selling some XM radio models at TSS? Thanks.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I've called XM three times this week in an attempt to have just certain XL channels blocked. The second time I called I said, "OK, just block 99 and I'll be happy." The third time I called (today), the CSR said that I could block whatever channels I wanted by clicking on the "Help and Support" link on the XM web page. Nope. This page only gave me the option to block ALL of the XL channels. Has anyone successfully blocked the XM channels of their choice? I have an XM Roady2.

At least on my SIRIUS Streamer, I can "skip" certain channels using the radio menu. Is it possible to block certain SIRIUS channels either by phone or online?

Thanks.

I have (the spanish and french channels) but the moron who did it also blocked all the XL channels with it so I had to call and get it undone... which took approximately 10 phone calls. By the end of that I was so frustrated I was just like "Unblock them all..." When you block something, make absolutely sure you plan on leaving it that way, because it's just as much of a headache to get it undone as it is to get it done.

The difference is when it comes to the minority channels, they either block them or I cancel the radio in my car.

Reactions: phillyphan

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I have (the spanish and french channels) but the moron who did it also blocked all the XL channels with it so I had to call and get it undone... which took approximately 10 phone calls. By the end of that I was so frustrated I was just like "Unblock them all..." When you block something, make absolutely sure you plan on leaving it that way, because it's just as much of a headache to get it undone as it is to get it done.

The difference is when it comes to the minority channels, they either block them or I cancel the radio in my car.

Nothing is blocked for me despite three phone calls. It would be so much easier if the subscriber could just go to the website and pick the channels they want blocked.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Nothing is blocked for me despite three phone calls. It would be so much easier if the subscriber could just go to the website and pick the channels they want blocked.

You did try sending a refresh to the radio right? The authorization changes are usually only broadcasted a lot for the first 3 hours after you do it, then at a much lower frequency

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
You did try sending a refresh to the radio right? The authorization changes are usually only broadcasted a lot for the first 3 hours after you do it, then at a much lower frequency

I did. Twice. Still have all the XM channels. I don't care anymore. I'll just have to make sure my kids don't get a hold of this unit.

What I did do to my satisfaction was upgrade my SIRIUS unit back to SIRIUS Everything. The Streamer has a "Skip" feature and a "Lock" feature using a code to effectively block unwanted channels without blocking the service.:cool:

Edit: This unit does all this, yet it is not supported for the "Best of XM." Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: snakester

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I did. Twice. Still have all the XM channels. I don't care anymore. I'll just have to make sure my kids don't get a hold of this unit.

What I did do to my satisfaction was upgrade my SIRIUS unit back to SIRIUS Everything. The Streamer has a "Skip" feature and a "Lock" feature using a code to effectively block unwanted channels without blocking the service.:cool:

Edit: This unit does all this, yet it is not supported for the "Best of XM." Go figure.

That's what I did on my Sportster Replay and now on my Starmate 4 to block unwanted channels. I figure if I use the parental controls to block unwanted channels, it makes navigation easier.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to block channels from online listening at sirius.com, but that's not a big deal.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH

That sucks. It's so simple on their end when they actually do it right, the changes happen almost instantly, like it's just a couple button presses and it's done. I don't know why they just don't program in receiver side locks as another option like Sirius has (the only XM radio that I know of that you can actually lock channels with a password is the XR9. The other ones only hide channels, which means you can get to them by entering the channel number)

EDIT: quick question for you philly, does the Sirius radio you have that doesn't support best of XM support the family package? I was under the impression to get the merger approval, the family package had to be available to everyone. This is just to satisfy my own curiosity, nothing more.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Hm.. they're playing a radio edit on the new country channel. It wasn't in the list of channels he said were going to be censored, and it's not THAT bad either (it's a taboo subject in country songs but nothing you can't say on the FM radio).
Who should the email go to? The country channel programmer?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Heh.

About 11:30 AM ET, Faction played unedited "It was a good day" by Ice Cube.

YourDream84

Dec 18, 2008
Oklahoma
The most ridiculous censorship I've seen thus far was on The Highway(New Country, Sirius 60).

They edited a song that USED to say "Would you get the wrong impression if I called us a cab right now?"

Now it says "Would you get the wrong impression if I asked you to dance right now?"

Seriously? THAT is worth changing, because it's soooo offensive?

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
The most ridiculous censorship I've seen thus far was on The Highway(New Country, Sirius 60).

They edited a song that USED to say "Would you get the wrong impression if I called us a cab right now?"

Now it says "Would you get the wrong impression if I asked you to dance right now?"

Seriously? THAT is worth changing, because it's soooo offensive?
Yep that's the song i was thinking of. Just because fm radio plays the wussified version doesn't mean you have to
Posted via Mobile Device