The Very Important Candle News Thread

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
You really need to stop hanging out at Publix. You get drunk, steal candles and find yourself wasted in a ditch next to Taco Bell with ketchup in your nacho fries. Either the Public or Taco Bell cashier had your wallet.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hah self checkout blues. I should be fired.

Aren't you on probation or something?
I got told today for the 4th time that I was self checking out wrong. I once again politely said I wasn't going to do it their way and would continue to do it my way.

The "proper" way, according to the checkout people, to check out at a self checkout is to remove the small items from the cart, run it by the scanner and then place them on the shelf. Then use the magic wand to scan the big stuff. Then once done put the stuff on the shelf back in the cart. I used to do this when they provided plastic bags (at a 5 cent charge). But since they are now plastic bag free, there is no reason to put stuff on the shelf. I scan everything with the magic wand and leave it in the cart. I bag them in the trunk of my car with re-usable bags. I think I am about 25% faster since I am not removing and putting stuff back in the cart. One of these times I was told if I didn't want to do it properly I should go to the manned checkouts. I told her that I may do that if they actually hired sufficient cashiers to man them without a line. But I probably wouldn't it has the same issue of everything being removed from the cart. Each time my stubbornness has won but I am getting a bit pissed that they keep badgering this point.

If they keep this up they may dock my pay.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Our shelves are scales so that they can tell that you're not putting things in bags that haven't been scanned. If the weight on the shelf doesn't match the weight the computer adds up for the items scanned, it stops accepting scans and calls for the cashier.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
OK, I'll further derail this thread. I'm not really sure what IRBS is talking about, and I'm not familiar with the weight thing Hectic is talking about.

If we're talking about supermarkets, then we take each item out of the cart or carriage or basket, wave it in front of the scanner, and then drop it in the bag. It could be a plastic bag, or a paper bag, or a reusable bag we brought in. If the item has to be weighed, then the scanner has a scale.

If we're talking about Home Depot, which has the wand, it's similar, and maybe there's something that detects if the bag you're putting it into is getting heavier, I don't know. But IRBS is saying he leaves things in the cart and tries to scan them? Is it like a hand basket? Or are we talking a carriage with wheels? How do you scan things without taking them out of the cart? I usually have to turn things over and over looking for the bar code. And if you have a bunch of things in the cart, they're all bumping up to each other, or piled on one another. And anyway, they eventually have to go in bags to get put into your car, so why not bag them in the store? We bring our reusable bags into the store. Please clarify.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
OK, I'll further derail this thread. I'm not really sure what IRBS is talking about, and I'm not familiar with the weight thing Hectic is talking about.

If we're talking about supermarkets, then we take each item out of the cart or carriage or basket, wave it in front of the scanner, and then drop it in the bag. It could be a plastic bag, or a paper bag, or a reusable bag we brought in. If the item has to be weighed, then the scanner has a scale.

If we're talking about Home Depot, which has the wand, it's similar, and maybe there's something that detects if the bag you're putting it into is getting heavier, I don't know. But IRBS is saying he leaves things in the cart and tries to scan them? Is it like a hand basket? Or are we talking a carriage with wheels? How do you scan things without taking them out of the cart? I usually have to turn things over and over looking for the bar code. And if you have a bunch of things in the cart, they're all bumping up to each other, or piled on one another. And anyway, they eventually have to go in bags to get put into your car, so why not bag them in the store? We bring our reusable bags into the store. Please clarify.
Shopping cart. The one I put stuff in when I get them off the shelves.

And if they need weighing they must be put on the scanner shelf/scale. I am referring to the other stuff which does not require weights. I don't bring in bags and the store does not supply any. So moving stuff over is meaningless. I guess I can do my bagging in the store but it would be slower.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
And its just a candle thread. But if you want to talk about candles, I buy my wife a scented candle each week. I try a different scent each weak. They are big ones that have 3 wicks and run about $7 each.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I don't bring in bags and the store does not supply any.
OK, this is definitely different. Some of our stores have banned plastic (mostly supermarkets), but every store provides either plastic bags, paper bags, or reusable sacks. In Maine, they charge a nickel for each paper bag, to encourage the use of reusables.

Actually, now that I think of it, some of the wholesale club stores like BJ's and Sam's Club have collections of box parts, so you can use a large box bottom to move a bunch of items into your car. But these stores all provide bags too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
OK, this is definitely different. Some of our stores have banned plastic (mostly supermarkets), but every store provides either plastic bags, paper bags, or reusable sacks. In Maine, they charge a nickel for each paper bag, to encourage the use of reusables.

Actually, now that I think of it, some of the wholesale club stores like BJ's and Sam's Club have collections of box parts, so you can use a large box bottom to move a bunch of items into your car. But these stores all provide bags too.
Last April Walmart stopped providing any plastic bags. They have never done paper. They will sell you re-usable bags if they have them (not very reliable). I just don't like the space the bags from the trunk take in the cart while shopping.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Guys, I know it's been like 9 months since my last post here but OMG we have major Walmart candle news today!!!

Take a look at this:

I was in Walmart getting boxers (side note and this is not a joke...I decided to go buy more boxers tonight instead of doing laundry haha) and they had this candle on the left for $5!!! Now this may not seem like major news but ever since they stopped selling those little candles I gushed about here that red one on the right is the best bang for your buck. It's $6.77 for 20 oz, or $0.33 per ounce. Then out of nowhere there was this huge display of the candle on the right. It's 18 oz for $5 or a bargain $0.27 per ounce!

That's a whopping savings of $0.06 per ounce!!! WHAT INCREDIBLE SAVINGS!!! I'm going to go buy like 10 of these while I still can for a massive savings of $0.60!!!

This has made my day and I'm sure it made yours too. You're welcome everyone.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mister JHDK, you're so excited about saving six cents an ounce, I'm guessing you will not be ordering one of these $2600 scented candles:

• Wow
Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Mister JHDK, you're so excited about saving six cents an ounce, I'm guessing you will not be ordering one of these $2600 scented candles:

Handcrafted in France. This item is made to order. Due to high demand, please allow for 4-6 weeks.

And for 2.6 large it only takes 4-6 weeks for delivery! I'm going to start saving up now.