The Musical Instrument Thread

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
We've had several guitar-related threads in the past year, like when I've made a purchase, or Jon received a gift, or when Hectic accidentally impaled himself on his stratocaster. (The lesson learned: your gall bladder is apparently optional.) And memebag, Aaron, down4six and the Captain are also players and/or owners...and probably some others I've forgotten. Anyway, I thought it might be good to have one thread for all the guitar talk.

So, Jon--how's the playing coming? Hectic--where's our video?

I've been playing the ukulele quite a bit the past few days, and I've been thinking about getting a mandolin or a harp in the future. I might get a kit from this guy: John Kovac - Harpmaker

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I've been playing the ukulele quite a bit the past few days, and I've been thinking about getting a mandolin or a harp in the future. I might get a kit from this guy: John Kovac - Harpmaker

Hey can you play "Tiptoeing Through The Tulips" with your ukulele? If so, one day can you video record yourself playing it. :hhh:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Playing is coming along nicely. Learned a few songs, just need to get the chord changes down. I was shocked to find how many songs are just three chords, or less in some cases.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
We've had several guitar-related threads in the past year, like when I've made a purchase, or Jon received a gift, or when Hectic accidentally impaled himself on his stratocaster. (The lesson learned: your gall bladder is apparently optional.) And memebag, Aaron, down4six and the Captain are also players and/or owners...and probably some others I've forgotten. Anyway, I thought it might be good to have one thread for all the guitar talk.

Shouldn't you be buying a banjo or a steel gee-tar like yer kinfolk?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

The vid has taken a back seat to job opportunities/progress.
I did have to buy some new cables to mitigate some crusty noises coming out of my rig. Any crusty noises will be my fault, not my gear. I still haven't figured out what to play, but I've been able to part of several tunes, but haven't built the dexterity back up to get something complete yet.

It's not forgotten, but don't hold your breath for it, it won't be worth the wait.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Hey can you play "Tiptoeing Through The Tulips" with your ukulele? If so, one day can you video record yourself playing it. :hhh:

No, and Tiny Tim is to ukulele players as Milli Vanilli is to Simon and Garfunkel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0B-1iF6S4

I did have to buy some new cables to mitigate some crusty noises coming out of my rig. Any crusty noises will be my fault, not my gear. I still haven't figured out what to play, but I've been able to part of several tunes, but haven't built the dexterity back up to get something complete yet.

It's not forgotten, but don't hold your breath for it, it won't be worth the wait.

Crusty noises coming from your rig, not worth the wait...sounds like your prom night.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Banjos are African. Steel guitars are Hawaiian. I'm probably the whitest Anglo ever.

Get yourself a nice resonator for a slice of Americana.

258_3.jpg

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The 'Brothers in Arms' guitar. :cool:

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
the latest-
I bought a black strat from Guitar Center for Christmas. Been having fun switching off between it and the acoustic. Have learned a few chords, and trying to learn more between Jusing Sandercone and a Dummies book I have. Have played around a little in pubic, thinking I might be ready to jam and try and learn more from my friends.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
the latest-
I bought a black strat from Guitar Center for Christmas. Been having fun switching off between it and the acoustic. Have learned a few chords, and trying to learn more between Jusing Sandercone and a Dummies book I have. Have played around a little in pubic, thinking I might be ready to jam and try and learn more from my friends.

Down! You're the man! Post pics of that beauty. Squier or Fender?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
All these threads are almost inspiring me to play again.

For a few years there, the guitar rarely left my side. Then I got "distracted" by work, daughter, and the iPhone and stuff.

But I do have an Ibanez acoustic-electric AEF30 (transparent black) and a Yahama bass guitar collecting dust, ready to be played. :cool:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

For a few years there, the guitar rarely left my side. Then I got "distracted" by work, daughter, and the iPhone and stuff.

But I do have an Ibanez acoustic-electric AEF30 (transparent black) and a Yahama bass guitar collecting dust, ready to be played. :cool:

Same thing happened to me until I got the Yamaha for Christmas. Now I'm playing it every day. DRC will have its own supergroup yet!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Same thing happened to me until I got the Yamaha for Christmas. Now I'm playing it every day. DRC will have its own supergroup yet!

We have a bass player! All we need is a drummer.