Sadchild: Life In Detail

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Part 3: Tuesday

Tuesday morning after breakfast at Washington Square Diner (pretty good) we took a subway to the 9/11 Memorial. The only day the museum is closed is Tuesday, so we couldn't do that, but we each did the self-guided audio tour, narrated by the sister of someone who was killed that day. The memorial pools are beautiful and seeing all the names engraved around the edges is heavy. The story of the Survivor Tree hit hard too.

Then we walked to The Color Factory. It's a fun/educational attraction primarily for the kiddos, but we enjoyed it. It had a ball pit. It had a "draw while not looking down" thing. And they gave you little sweets along the way (taffy, gelato, etc). Here is Mrs. Child learning about how certain colors used to be made years ago.

06_colorfac.jpg

Then we walked to Little Island, a man made park with lots of greenery and art. Pretty wild concept. Here it is from a distance.

littlei.jpg

We ate the hotel restaurant and then walked to Webster Hall to see Royal Blood (heavy rock - often compared to White Stripes and QOTSA but I see them more like Quicksand and Helmet). The opening act was a punk band with a nasally emo singer, not my thing. But Royal Blood was great (despite their new disco-rock sound in their last two albums). They are so tight you can set your watch to their performance. And there's only two of them. The bass player uses effects to fill the sound spectrum. At one point the drummer went into the crowd and separated them into two sides (like Moses parting the Red Sea), then using his drumsticks instructed them to run into each other when he started playing again. It was hard to get a good photo, this is the best I could do:

royal.jpg

By this time my feet were sore as hell. We were walking 10-20K steps a day (according to the Mrs' iPhone). I was beat!

Gonna start catching up on the other threads now!