patriotic thread

For once in your life, your architecture knowledge is actually worthwhile.



Is that real? If so that's a fun/gross/weird part of history and a fun fact.
True story.
I don't think that they did that for Liberty, but I know it was a real (gross/weird) thing that they used to do.
What a job. Ewww.
True story.
Somewhere there is a Kardashian desperately looking for a video camera.
 
But I remember that it was assembled in stages in France

Not sure if this is true (I've done 0 research) but I def also heard they shipped it here in stages and I think they displayed the various parts. Like the arm and torch were on display before they put it all together.
 
That's back when you could smoke on an airplane

statue-of-liberty-torch-picture-id476963948
 
This is a fascinating read and a really interesting part of our history that basically sowed the seeds of revolution in the hearts of the colonial public.

And it's written in a way that isn't totally painful to read today.

I've made it to the:

THOUGHTS ON THE PRESENT STATE OF AMERICAN AFFAIRS.​

section so far.

 
This is a fascinating read and a really interesting part of our history that basically sowed the seeds of revolution in the hearts of the colonial public.

And it's written in a way that isn't totally painful to read today.

I've made it to the:

THOUGHTS ON THE PRESENT STATE OF AMERICAN AFFAIRS.​

section so far.

TLDR.
Let me know if there is a treasure map on the back. I may revisit it.
 
Okay. Well I read through how I started this thread.

I didn't mention John Adams. Do you guys know his story? It's fucking amazing.

He defended the British who shot all the colonists during the Boston massacre and he got them off.... Freaking shocking..... In front of a colonist jury he got the British off like he got them acquitted.

Then the stupid fucking British said yeah every trial from now on is going to be tried in England. So John Adams was like fuck that, why did I just do all that work if king George is gonna straight up fuck me? So then he became a patriot and became a founding father who fought to get us our freedom.

That is a very elementary explanation of it but it's basically how it happened.
 
Last edited:
I watched a good chunk of SNL from the local provider here (Global TV) and caught the weights & measures skit. Pretty funny. Actually the whole show wasn't that bad. But my God they have a big cast.
 
Exactly 250 years ago today, June 28th 1776, the committee of 5 Sherman, Livingston, Adams, Franklin and Jefferson presented their final draft of the Declaration on Independence to the Continental Congress at Independence Hall in Philly. It was still the Pennsylvania State House back then.

I have hanging on my wall paintings depicting Adams, Franklin and Jefferson writing the document and right under it the presentation of it to Congress.


It's pretty freaking cool.

The committee to draft it was formed June 11th and of course it was ratified on The 4th of July. So it took these guys under a month to create what is perhaps the most important document in our nation's history. That's amazing to me and part of why it hangs on my wall all year long.

Also the bottom painting of the Committee of 5 presenting the document is hanging in the Capitol rotunda.

1782701934678.png
 
Last edited:
I'm probably not the only one here who finds it ironic that you have so much reverence for the documents that once defined our country.
 
I'm very much hoping the Supremes shoot down the current administration's want to more or less invalidate the 14th amendment. We'll find out by the end of this current session. While I do not think nearly enough has been done to curtail the alien invasion, I also think messing around with the Constitution is almost never a good idea.

I assume that's what you were referring to but IDK and if it's not I don't really want to know unless you want to get into it through DM's. I wrote an innocuous, patriotic post about a 250 year anniversary that helped create our nation. You made it personal and took it in the direction of current day politics, not I.
 
Last edited:
I would never call for termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. And I don't agree with anyone who does.

1580096063571
 
Do you guys go see fireworks?

I haven't in years now. I think I posted a video here but a few years ago someone was storing fireworks in a unit and I didn't catch him until like July 1 so I didn't kick him out and as a result he gave me some really cool ones I fired off here. Also I can see a ton of them from other people from right where I am.
 
I don't go out of my way. If I was in Canada, I would see a lot right from our balcony (private shows mostly). Since I will be in Columbus, I will sit on my mother-in-laws front lawn and watch a nearby show. My son-in-law just bought a whole bunch but not sure when they are planning on detonating them.
 
Back
Top Bottom