Pardon me, but do you have the time?

Did you and the Mrs. have her put her keys in a bowl when she first walked in? Or did you make sure she saw your upside down pineapple statue in front of the door as she walked in?

You're a dirty dog Mr. Cigar.
You know, the term "college friend" sounds fun and all; but she's a 63-year-old, twice divorced woman, with kids and grandkids. It's no "Love Island".
 
You know, the term "college friend" sounds fun and all; but she's a 63-year-old, twice divorced woman, with kids and grandkids. It's no "Love Island".

First off, that's Elizabeth Hurley's age:


1781532512844.png

And secondly.......This makes me sound really old but as I age I seem to find broads my age hotter than ever before.

Fuck, sorry about that guys, I must have a head injury or something.

Seriously though it's true. When I was like 17 I remember asking my dad about being attracted to chicks in their 20's at his age like I was at the time and he told me something similar to what I just said, as you get older you become more attracted to chicks your age.

Hendrik was always very proper so I believed him of course but after a min of thought I remembered he did marry a broad (aka my mom) who was 34 when he was 54 so he was a dirty dog too Scotch.

All of that is to say, nothing wrong with getting down when a 63 y/o college friend trollop decides to show up and spend a few nights at your Maine Palace.
 
My pre-order from February 2nd finally showed up. It wasn't late. It was supposed to ship at the end of May and it's from Australia so it came exactly when they said it would. Which while I trust this brand, it is still a micro brand from a YouTuber. You can never really trust newer microbrand, let alone ones run by YouTubers:




This thing is full of firsts for me. First watch I've ever bought from an Australian brand, first pink dial, first with a jubilee bracelet, first with a high accuracy quartz movement, first with an on the fly micro adjust and finally first quartz watch with a display case back.

The other pics obviously show the bracelet and the watch face but here's some of the other stuff:



I get how a display case back is kind of silly a quartz watch but I like it. At least it is nicer looking than most quartz movements. And I've talked a bunch about how I love testing accuracy and how the radio controlled Casios are so cool but they are kind of cheating cuz they get the radio signal from Colorado every night. Whereas this one is +/- 10 seconds a YEAR (as opposed to the vast majority of quartz watches that are +/- 15 seconds a month) without any sort of adjustments. I'm looking forward to testing that and seeing how on the money they actually are with that claim.

Also, I'm not sure if the brand actually claims this, but talking to Gemini the battery they use with the movement they use is supposed to last around 7 years. So if that's true that's also awesome.

And it more or less has everything else you would want in a micro brand. A signed and screw down crown,


100 m water resist, sapphire crystal with antireflective coating on the underside, a milled clasp, applied indices and good lume.

The only negative I see so far is that the second hand doesn't 100% hit all the ticks from around the 30 to the 45 or so. So that's not great for a watch that was reasonably priced for all the features but nowhere near cheap. The preorder price was $429 but since it came from Australia it wound up being $533 with $39 for shipping and $65 in duties (hehehe dootie).

Also I like how the date window is color matched to the dial. I would prefer to not have a date window at all, but if I have to have one I want it to be framed and color matched.

So I'm happy with it overall. Of course I'm still in the honeymoon. It's day two of owning it in person. I guess we will see how often I actually wind up wearing it long term.

And here's a lume shot to end the post:


ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND..............It's dead.

Since it had the High Accuracy Quartz movement when I realized I had set it off about 0.5 a second I decided to fix it. I tried a couple times to get it exact with Time.gov and on the third time I broke it somehow. I was not being rough with it. When it broke the second hand stopped ticking. I could still adjust the hour and minute but after screwing back down the crown the second hand wouldn't tick and the other hands wouldn't move by themselves.

I contacted Erebus customer service and they first asked me to send a video of the issue. After I did that they sent me a return label and said as soon as they get the broken one back they will send me a new one. They have been great. I sent it off and it should be back to their place in NSW Australia in a few days.

We'll see how the whole process goes and I'll report back but so far so good. It's not their fault I got a lemon. It's annoying to have to send it more or less as far as possible to get the replacement but whatever.

When I was emailing with CS I noticed that the rep was CC'ing the two faces of the company on every email. That's really cool. This guy Jody runs the YouTube channel Just One More Watch that I have been watching for years and his partner in Erebus is this guy Steven. They both have seen every email I sent. That is oddly comforting. I have thought Jody is a good guy through watching his videos but he's a YouTuber I have never met so who knows. The fact that he and his partner want to know about customer issues with their microbrand company is cool.

Here's the video I sent them after they requested it to explain the issue:

 
It's about time it's dead. It came from Australia as USA kicked their ass yesterday 4-0 in the World Cup.

You're favorite sport Koop football. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.
 
My replacement arrived on 6.29.


I wanted to wait a couple days to make sure it didn't break again and so far everything's perfect. I set the high accuracy quartz to the correct time.gov time.....And I'm going to have to do some more testing before I can determine if it's really +/-10 per year. But so far it is still synced perfectly with time.gov since I set it on the 29th.

Anyway, they sent me a free strap pack which on their website cost 30 bucks. So that was a nice surprise.


And also I forgot to mention earlier that the case the watch comes in is pretty awesome because it doubles as a travel case for two watches.


So I'm very happy and I told their customer service I was very happy and that seemed to make them feel flattered but they deserve it because it sucks a watch breaks like I mentioned in the email yet when that happens all you could hope for is good customer service and they gave me very good customer service.


 
I'm looking at one of these Hamilton's. I think I've decided I don't want a Ventura.
h77912535.png

I'd rather have it with a white face, but they don't offer that unfortunately.
This was the one I changed the batter on today.
 
It's been 42 days since 6.29.26 when I got my replacement HAQ watch and I just checked it against time.gov and it is right around 1 second slow. At the stated +/-10 seconds per year that is exactly on track. I think that math works out to expecting it to be around 1.1 second off. At this rate it will be at the exact stated tolerance by 6.29.27.

It's fun to me to keep track of this.
 

This GW-9400 G-Shock Rangeman is what Doug Peterson was wearing when he won the Eagles won Super Bowl LII in 2018 for our first ever championship in the Super Bowl era.

Doug's was a little different. It had a negative display. I had that exact one at one point but it sucks and is impossible to see the time on it. So I sold it and got a positive display model.

Instead of buying new watches, I decided I would have some fun with this one and I bought a couple new bezels and I have a new band coming in a few days. Check it out.

Gray and black is kind of cool, but I think I should get a blue strap. It would look cooler with the gray. The strap I have coming is black but it has a carbon fiber insert which is kind of awesome.


I think I like this one best so far:


It's fun to tinker with watches I already have.
 
I guess I thought of this because I recently changed the G-Shock rangeman bezel to pink. A few mins ago I figured I would check the status of my high accuracy quartz.

Turns out exactly 90 days have passed since I received this one on 6.29.26.

It's doing really well. Last time I checked it, it was about a half second slow and now it's exactly one second slow. At this rate it's on track to only be 4 seconds slow per year. The manufacturers stated tolerance is +/- 10 seconds per year. I hope this keeps up.

As you can see here, I haven't worn it in a while and I clearly need to change the date. But I'm afraid because I don't want to accidentally pop the crown two pops and then fuck up my year-long experiment by stopping the second hand for a second or two.

 
Last edited:
Hahahaha good call.

I'm just a freaking moron who figured if it was exactly 90 days since June 29th. Today must be September 29th because I am clearly amazing at math and knowing how days in a month work. Jesus Christ, I need to fall into another canal like that gets the dumb out of me for a while at least.

I would set it on the 28th so you don't have to reset on Oct 1st.

Now that I'm wearing it instead of the Rangeman I'll probably keep it on for a day or two as my daily and I if I changed it, knowingly, to the incorrect date it would drive me further insane than I already am. So I'm going to have to go in for round two.

UPDATE #2:


Problem solved. It's way easier than I anticipated to pop the the way crown all the way stopping the second hand.
 
Last edited:
I guess I thought of this because I recently changed the G-Shock rangeman bezel to pink. A few mins ago I figured I would check the status of my high accuracy quartz.

Turns out exactly 90 days have passed since I received this one on 6.29.26.

It's doing really well. Last time I checked it, it was about a half second slow and now it's exactly one second slow. At this rate it's on track to only be 4 seconds slow per year. The manufacturers stated tolerance is +/- 10 seconds per year. I hope this keeps up.

As you can see here, I haven't worn it in a while and I clearly need to change the date. But I'm afraid because I don't want to accidentally pop the crown two pops and then fuck up my year-long experiment by stopping the second hand for a second or two.

So you're saying it's a really accurate quartz, and the watch doesn't adjust to universal time?
 
So you're saying it's a really accurate quartz, and the watch doesn't adjust to universal time?

Are you talking about something like the Casios I have that all have the Atomic Clock antenna? Those are cool and I have a bunch of them I really like but I view them as kinda cheating. They need an external influence to keep perfect time.

This Erebus one has the ETA F06.412 with a Renata SR927SW battery. So no atomic, gps or bluetooth cheats. The movement, by itself, keeps time at a +/- 10 second per year tolerance. And that battery is supposed to keep it ticking for around 8 years.

Citizen makes a HAQ movement that is +/- 1 second per year. The cheapest one is around 7k.

As far as I know most all quartz, like the $20 one you can get at Walmart or the $200 Promaster I have from Citizen, are +/- 15 seconds per month. So because I'm a super nerd, HAQ is very fascinating to me and this is my first one. Thus my silly posts keeping track of how well it's doing every month or 2.
 
Last edited:
This Erebus one has the ETA F06.412 with Renata SR927SW battery. So no atomic, gps or bluetooth cheats. The movement, by itself, keeps time at a +/- 10 second per year tolerance. And that battery is supposed to keep it ticking for around 8 years.

Citizen makes a HAQ movement that is +/- 1 second per year. The cheapest one is around 7k.
This brings me back to a very old conversation, like back in high school. As you may remember, my first nice watch was a Seiko quartz chronograph that my dad bought me. Someone at the watch store explained that there's no special process that goes into making a super-accurate quartz crystal. Basically, Seiko gets a thousand quartz crystals from a supplier, and they are tested for accuracy. Most are within +/- 15 per month. A few are much closer to perfect, but it's just a random probability distribution.

So the process for rendering a super-accurate quartz crystal is no different than that of a regular one. But because there are so few of them, the value is very high. It's like when a couple has 3 kids, and two of them are odd-looking, while one's an Adonis. Same process, different results.
 
Back
Top Bottom