What was I thinking straying from Japan? Silly me.
I'm back in the safe hands of my Seiko/Casio obsession with this bad boy:
The JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) SARB035 was discontinued last year but there are still brand new ones to be had as of today. They stopped making this model because Seiko is introducing a bunch of new lines with the same movement but fewer accoutrements while asking a lot more for them.
For $400 I'm getting a lot here. The 6R15 movement, Sapphire Crystal, Signed Crown, 100 meters water resistant (even without a screw-down crown), and a beautiful attention to detail in the brush and polish.
Even the gorgeous new Monster models, that also house 6R15's, are sporting a Hardlex crystal and they are going for a minimum of $550.
Now, why is a 6R15 for $400 such a big deal you may ask? Well here is the spec list for some of the more common Seiko movements, some of which cost way more than $400:
7S25/26/35/36 is a non hacking, non handwidning -25/+35 second accuracy 40h power reserve.
4R15/16 is non hacking, non handwidning -15/+25 second accuracy 50h power reserve.
4R35/36/37/38 is hacking, handwinding -25/+35 second accuracy with 40h power resereve
6R15 is hacking, handwinding -15/+25 second accuracy with 50h power reserve.
So, as you can see the 6R15 is clearly the best, and with Sapphire, you simply can't get new Seikos for that price these days.
"But Jan, that is a dress watch and you said you are a lume junkie. Classic dress watches don't have lume." To that I say:
BOOM!
It's doesn't have a crazy thick application of lume like a Monster or the Laco Flieger but it's still pretty generous for a dressier style watch like this. And of course it's Lumibrite so it can hang with any lume big boy.
Plus, the lume and really the overall style of the watch make it more utilitarian and able to fit well with both a casual or dress style. And I plan to test those casual limits...More on that in a bit.
Now to the downsides. As I see it so far (I'm sure I will have more nit-picks when I actually have it) there are only two.
1. While everyone praises the finish of the bracelet, they also say it's overall not that great and doesn't fit the watch that well.
2. The crystal of the exhibition display watch back is Hardlex and not Sapphire. For most that's not an issue because it's take more effort to scratch the backside of a watch but somehow I have managed to get 2 rather large scratches on the back of my Orient Sun and Moon Version 3 and it drive me crazy, so the weaker back crystal of this worries me a bit.
The bracelet thing doesn't bother me because I don't like bracelets and I will be removing it on day one to sit in the box forever after. I plan to make this real casual with a canvas strap. I liked the Barton canvas I got for the Laco so I bought another to go along with this.
I think that lighter blue will look really nice. As I said above, I know slapping a canvas on this model is kinda pushing the limits but I'm hoping it turns out to look as good as I picture it in my head right now. We'll see.
So, overall I think my watch adventure over the past two weeks is about to come to a glorious conclusion with another wonderful Seiko...But only time will tell. I'll post an update once I've had the thing for awhile.
Wow, that was some watch rant right there.