Miscellaneous News Thread

It depends on the speakers you hear it on, and how full your hearing range is.
On my TV's it's clearly laurel.
I heard it play from someone's cell phone, that had no bass, and it was Yanni.

Either way, it's using up far too much of the internet.
 
It depends on the speakers you hear it on, and how full your hearing range is.
On my TV's it's clearly laurel.
I heard it play from someone's cell phone, that had no bass, and it was Yanni.

Either way, it's using up far too much of the internet.
So on your TV speakers (built in? component? soundbar?) you don't hear a long "e" at the end of the word? You hear something that rhymes with "dull"?
 
This one is much easier than that stupid dress where I could only see the one color scheme no matter how hard I tried. I can hear both depending on the register I'm listening for.
 
So on your TV speakers (built in? component? soundbar?) you don't hear a long "e" at the end of the word? You hear something that rhymes with "dull"?
My wife and I were watching the news last night on TV, playing through the home theater speakers. At first, we watched the story about this, and said nothing. Then she said "all I hear is Laurel"; and I said, "that's funny, all I hear is Yanni (actually, more like Yeahnee)". Prior to that, neither of us had seen the story.
Here's some discussion about it.
Laurel or Yanny? What science has to say - CNN
 
At home and on my cell I hear Laurel.

Quick update, I just tried my work computer and I hear Laurel also.
 
Last edited:
This one is much easier than that stupid dress where I could only see the one color scheme no matter how hard I tried. I can hear both depending on the register I'm listening for.

Everybody knows that dress was black and blue.
 
Also, on the news story we watched, I believe they said that those who can hear the higher registers (which contains the overlayed sound) are more likely to hear Yanni. I think that's what the guy in the CNN article said.

Between my wife and I, she clearly has reduced high frequency perception, and I have super hearing.
 
Clearly without a doubt laurel. The rest of you are a part of some sort of conspiracy clearly or have been taken over by alien body snatchers.


Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
 
Mrs. Scotch:
Looks
Intelligence
Common Sense
Friendly
Kindhearted
Moral
Knows proper window choice/placement for a pantry
Overall good person

Scotch:
Can sometimes hear things

Thanks for the compliment on the wife, but your dickishness almost made me scrap posting the solution to all this. The following article by a linguist, contains pitch-shifted versions of the audio. I clearly hear the difference, I imagine all of you will too.
A Linguist Explains Why 'Laurel' Sounds Like 'Yanny'
 
So on your TV speakers (built in? component? soundbar?) you don't hear a long "e" at the end of the word? You hear something that rhymes with "dull"?
Please see below.
It depends on the speakers you hear it on, and how full your hearing range is.
On my TV's it's clearly laurel.
I heard it play from someone's cell phone, that had no bass, and it was Yanni.

Either way, it's using up far too much of the internet.
Re-quoted for emphasis.
Either way, it's using up far too much of the internet.
 
It depends on the speakers you hear it on, and how full your hearing range is.
On my TV's it's clearly laurel.
I heard it play from someone's cell phone, that had no bass, and it was Yanni.
The playback argument doesn't hold water:
- Groups of people listening to the same source are hearing different things;
- Plenty of people who've listened on relatively full-range systems have reported different results from you;
- The explanation is in the post I made by the linguist;
- You need to listen to the pitch-shifted samples - you'll find that you hear both results from the same source, depending on the pitch.
 
I don't care about bandwidth. I'm trying to understand how it sounds to other people. Anyone who hears "laurel", does it rhyme with "dull"? Or does it rhyme with "knee"?

It is laurel clear as day. No possibility to mistake it for anything else.


Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom