Let's Talk About Animals

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This egret came visit, walked around my yard for maybe 10 minutes last week.

Cool.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
"Savage cow attack" is a funny line.

Also I like how the cow just starts chowing down on whatever that dude had in his basket after throwing him into the hole.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
You all ready for an insane edition of Tamarac's Beautiful Wildlife?

I mentioned in another thread how it's been raining a ton all week. Well I went to my car today and look what was in a puddle underneath it:

PUDDLE FISH!!!

I made a point not to run over it as I backed out and I made another point to take the same spot when I got back so someone else wouldn't run over it.

I am in the spot that has a storm grate in the middle of it so I assume that's where it came from. Yet the grate wasn't overflowing and the puddle it's in didn't reach the grate. After being back home for an hour or so I felt bad for the poor thing so I took a broom and was going to poke it to see if it was alive because I didn't see it move and then try to sweep it back into the grate. Luckily I didn't have to do any of that. When I went to check it out again it was gone. I guess it figured things out on its own.

Tamarac's wildlife continues to astound.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Crazy Puddle Fish update time!

I was wrong, Puddle Fish was still there, I guess I didn't see it last night because I parked differently when trying to not run it over. I poked him with a stick and confirmed he was very much still alive.

So I got a bucket and a broom and decided I was going to take it to the lake behind my place. I got it in the bucket but then it jumped out like 15 seconds later onto the pavement. As I was struggling to get it back in the bucket an older woman and her daughter or granddaughter noticed what I was doing and came over. Old lady just picked the thing up and put it in the bucket. I then held it in place with the broom and walked it over to the lake. It jumped out 2 more times on my way over but I managed to get it back in the bucket with the broom.

Puddle Fish now is now free to live a happy life in the lake. I guess he's Lake Fish now.

I saved a fish. You all don't have to congratulate me. I know I'm a hero.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Well fuck.

I killed a cat tonight.

On my normal night walk route there is this section of about two blocks where one side of the sidewalk is a concrete wall and the other is the road. The wall is about 7 feet tall and there is this maybe 1.5 foot tall section at the bottom of it that is raised from the sidewalk. As I get to the wall all of a sudden I notice a cat on that raised section and it notices me. This happened when we were like a yard apart. The cat freaked out and ran into the street and I saw it get hit by a car. It then leapt back to the sidewalk, now on the ground level, and started licking its leg that must have been broken.

I was freaked out and immediately googled who to call to help an injured cat. Once I found a number and was talking to some lady I looked over and it wasn't moving. It was dead but I didn't know it yet. I mean, I just saw it not die after getting hit and leap back to the sidewalk. I didn't want to touch it cause I'm not looking to get attacked by any cat not named Athena so I threw a pebble next to it and it didn't move. Its eyes were half open so I took my flashlight and shined it in its eyes and they didn't react. I also couldn't see its chest move to breathe. So the cat was dead.

Freaking huge bummer.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
If I didn't spook it, it would still be alive right now. I should have noticed it sooner. I see cats all the time on my walks. I almost always make that pssss, pssss noise to say hi to them.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
If I didn't spook it, it would still be alive right now. I should have noticed it sooner. I see cats all the time on my walks. I almost always make that pssss, pssss noise to say hi to them.
He should have seen you coming as well. Maybe it was just his time to die.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I hit a dog once. There was a lot of traffic, so I couldn’t pull over, but I saw him in the rear view. That really sucked.

Remember. It was a cat.
He would have killed you first if he had the chance.
It’s what they do.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I saw a cat carrying a dead squirrel in its mouth yesterday. They are predators.

They're nuts too, like they do on purpose to run into oncoming traffic.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I think it's cool how cats hunt and kill stuff. Especially birds, it seems like it must be really tough to catch a bird. It's also super sweet how they will bring the corpse of whatever they kill back to the doorstep to help feed the family. I mean, it's gross but the sentiment is sweet.

They also hunt for pleasure sometimes too. Back up in Philly I once watched from the window as my cat Tom screwed with a mouse for like 5 mins before killing it. He would let it go every now and then just so he could pounce on it again. Then once it was dead he didn't even eat it.