Howard secret santa gift

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

I totally agree. For a guy like Howard who is neurotic about getting old, it was perfect. The gift was great! The only problem is, it must have cost him a couple grand, unless they did it for free in exchange for a plug (of which he only gave one). It is an instant set piece for the studio. And, it was really well done to boot; I would be totally appropriate as his real tomb stone.

That is if Howard isnt too creeped out by it. He just may toss it, I would, who wants that thing staring you in the face day after day.

:eek: :pope: :twisted: :seeya:

Rest In :peace:

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
That is if Howard isnt too creeped out by it. He just may toss it, I would, who wants that thing staring you in the face day after day.

:eek: :pope: :twisted: :seeya:

Rest In :peace:

If he's going to get rid of it, he should give it back to the kid and let him put it on Ebay.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I totally agree. For a guy like Howard who is neurotic about getting old, it was perfect. The only problem is, it must have cost him a couple grand, unless they did it for free in exchange for a plug (of which he only gave one). It is an instant set piece for the studio. And, it was really well done to boot; I would be totally appropriate as his real tomb stone.

been in a meeting damn near all morning, so I have heard next to none of the show today. but, if he gave him a tombstone, I agree, it was a great gift. good job to the intern kid for coming up with that one.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
The whole Secret Santa bit is the worst ever (well, except for Jessica and Mr. Ed). Anyone who has heard about his tipping habits and the gifts he gives knows Howard isn't cheap, so why have a bit that basically points to being cheap? I can see him thinking it's a funny concept for some unknown to get a jackpot, but in practice the whole thing bombed. He should have learned from last year.

Bring back the wood chipper!

It isn't about being cheap, IMO, its about shutting up complainers. If you spend time, money and effort, no matter how small, to buy a gift and the recipient takes a shit on it, would you feel like buying them another gift? I wouldn't.

When a gift becomes an expectation, is it still a gift?

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
been in a meeting damn near all morning, so I have heard next to none of the show today. but, if he gave him a tombstone, I agree, it was a great gift. good job to the intern kid for coming up with that one.

You can see it on Howardstern.com - its really well done.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
That thing should be set up in the studio next to Gary puppet and other historic items. It's bound to freak out a few guests.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
That is super creepy but Robin, very well played by trying to create some surprise around Secret Santa. If not, that would never happen! I actually heard them talk about it but am just about to listen to Howard be surprised by it now....And what a surprise it must be!

BTW, I heard that tombstones are expensive AND with that design and all. I told my parents that if they get a double tombstone I refuse to put the other ones name and date on it before...let them do that all after!

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
It isn't about being cheap, IMO, its about shutting up complainers. If you spend time, money and effort, no matter how small, to buy a gift and the recipient takes a shit on it, would you feel like buying them another gift? I wouldn't.

When a gift becomes an expectation, is it still a gift?

True, but it just didn't work for me. Maybe the repetitive whining about it on here has finally gotten to me. I haven't heard all of today's stuff yet, so I'll hold final judgment.

Though I still wish for the days of gay carolers, big black lesbians "crazy with lust" and A Speech Impediment Christmas Carol.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Real good work but more of a gift for someone who....IS DEAD!!!

Creepy good stuff!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
The company who made it also got a plug or 2 during a news update, so I'm betting they were hoping for that, too - and took it under consideration when pricing it for the guy.

In my opinion, it's pretty funny, because you KNOW that Howard isn't going to like much of anything an intern can afford. Hell, Gary said it took Howard 10 years to admit that he likes the little grooming kit he got him back in the day.

If anything, though, the kid (even if not by name) lives on as the guy who gave Howard the tombstone. A little bit of history for the kid :icon_idea:

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
The company who made it also got a plug or 2 during a news update, so I'm betting they were hoping for that, too - and took it under consideration when pricing it for the guy.

In my opinion, it's pretty funny, because you KNOW that Howard isn't going to like much of anything an intern can afford. Hell, Gary said it took Howard 10 years to admit that he likes the little grooming kit he got him back in the day.

If anything, though, the kid (even if not by name) lives on as the guy who gave Howard the tombstone. A little bit of history for the kid :icon_idea:

As long as Howard isn't too upset by it to leave it in the studio, the kid (Jared) will go down in the annals of the Stern Show, right next to the guy who wrote "When I See Beth Smiling".

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
John Hein dubbed him Tombstone Ted.

I don't know anybody that wants to be reminded of their own mortality.

The Secret Santa bit came back around and bit Howard on the ass.

rickster53

Oct 16, 2008
Syracuse,NY
That was the worst Christmas gift ever! I was in the car when I heard the segment and couldn't wait to get to a computer to see just how hideous that thing really was. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed by the pics. "Tombstone Ted" instantly earned himself a place in the history of the Stern show.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Scary maybe (to Howard) but not hideous. The representation of Howard on the stone is as flattering as it could be... really well done. He must leave it in a prominant place in the studio. Somehow, someway that stone is going to affect every guest... maybe break down some defenses? Now is the time to invite Woody Allen in for an interview. Brilliant idea on the part of Tombstone Ted.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Scary maybe (to Howard) but not hideous. The representation of Howard on the stone is as flattering as it could be... really well done. He must leave it in a prominant place in the studio.

Like in front of the sybian, for each girl to see as they get on for a ride. Gary can hide behind it.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
At least we now know why they revealed the identity of the Secret Santas: Howard didn't know what the "secret" part meant. :pointlaugh:

Normally, I leave my unit in the car and just listen during my commute, but I had to bring it inside last night just to hear this segment for myself. It didn't disappoint.

This is the best Christmas gift (for Howard) ever!

He can't throw that into the woodchipper! :D