DRC Madness #41: Best #1 Song of the 70s

Thank you, everyone, for voting as of the Semifinals has officially closed!

Below are the final voting results. The artist/song titles in bold are the winners and will advance to the next round. The Finals will begin tomorrow which will be:

The Beatles: Let It Be vs. Don McLean: American Pie

Semifinals Results and The Finals Matchup Preview

1777433357101.png
 
Welcome to the Finals of DRC Madness #41: Best #1 Song of the ’70s.

Voting is now open till end of the Thursday night, maybe Friday afternoon? or may close sooner if all votes are submitted before then.

Let the final round madness begin!


The Finals

The Beatles: Let It Be
Don McLean: American Pie
 
None of you requested my thoughts on the matter, but here they are:
- Let It Be was written in 1968, and recorded between late '68 and early '69. It's a '60s song. In fact, I'd say it's the "swan song" of the '60s, as well as the Beatles.
- American Pie was released in 1971, and really ushered-in the decade. The lyrics and imagery were brilliant, and full of mystery, prompting much discussion and introspection. The song is a monumental achievement, and will always be an icon of the '70s. I feel somewhat similarly about Hotel California, but I can't vote for that now, can I? Therefore, I pick

Don McLean: American Pie
 
None of you requested my thoughts on the matter, but here they are:
- Let It Be was written in 1968, and recorded between late '68 and early '69. It's a '60s song. In fact, I'd say it's the "swan song" of the '60s, as well as the Beatles.
- American Pie was released in 1971, and really ushered-in the decade. The lyrics and imagery were brilliant, and full of mystery, prompting much discussion and introspection. The song is a monumental achievement, and will always be an icon of the '70s. I feel somewhat similarly about Hotel California, but I can't vote for that now, can I? Therefore, I pick

Don McLean: American Pie

If it's a 60s song, then "Let It Be" should be disqualify and declare "Horse With No Name" the grand champion! :laugh:
 
So Let It Be dates from 1968-69 – but American Pie references "the day the music died," the 1959 plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and "The Big Bopper" J.P. Richardson. My vote goes to:

The Beatles: Let It Be
 
Welcome to the Finals of DRC Madness #41: Best #1 Song of the ’70s.

Voting is now open till end of the Thursday night, maybe Friday afternoon? or may close sooner if all votes are submitted before then.

Let the final round madness begin!


The Finals

The Beatles: Let It Be
Don McLean: American Pie


And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree
There will be an answer......

LET IT BE
 
Back
Top Bottom