Apple TV and the NFL

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Are you ready for some football?" Google (GOOG_) wants you to watch it on its services, but don't discount Apple (AAPL_) in this case.

According to AllThingsD, Google CEO Larry Page met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about bidding for the NFL Sunday Ticket, which is carried by DirecTV (DTV_). It's all about cash in this case, and Apple, with its $146.6 billion cash hoard, has more cash than anyone, Including Google.

DirecTV has had the contract to carry Sunday Ticket, which allows you to watch any game, in market or out of market, since the package was unveiled in 1994. In 2009, DirectTV paid the NFL $4 billion to re-up the deal, but it expires next year.

A Google/YouTube + NFL combination would almost certainly send shockwaves through the media, broadcast television and technology worlds. However, a combination of Apple + NFL would do even more. Apple already has a wide lead on Google as it relates to set top boxes, with Apple TV. Though I've said in the past that the Google Chromecast, which plugs directly into people's HDTVs, might impact Apple TV, Apple has the user interface, ecosystem, and most importantly, the cash, to win any bidding war should it decide to enter into one.

Apple TV and the NFL: The 50-Yard Scamper for Cash - TheStreet

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Let the new wars begin for bidding for the NFL on TV, even though I have an Apple TV and would be cool if it on there units. Just let it be open to most companies, so everyone can enjoy it.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I don't want to have to buy apple tv to watch NFL Sunday ticket. I hope it goes non-exclusive so all cable and sattelite companies can offer it.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Apple is said to have an ala carte setup in mind. The cost won't make it very attractive to non Apple fanboys so the lure of the Ticket can bait some uncabled fans to buy the box.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
You would not be paying for the NFL, your local affiliates would still carry games every week.

If Apple got it, it would be great. Anyone that has high speed internet and $99 can get a Apple TV and that means no matter if you are over the air, cable or satellite you can buy the NFL ticket.

I have always said that if anyone wants to get in the TV game, get the sport that is most popular.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I don't have DIRECTV for Sunday Ticket, probably wouldn't purchase it here. But I know plenty would. If the NFL is smart (and I seriously doubt that since it's taken them this long to even THINK about getting an online streaming prescence) it will be non-exclusive to providers like Google, Apple and Roku. Then people who don't JUST want NFL can decide amongst themselves what else these services offer that they'd like.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I don't have DIRECTV for Sunday Ticket, probably wouldn't purchase it here. But I know plenty would. If the NFL is smart (and I seriously doubt that since it's taken them this long to even THINK about getting an online streaming prescence) it will be non-exclusive to providers like Google, Apple and Roku. Then people who don't JUST want NFL can decide amongst themselves what else these services offer that they'd like.

They will do what makes them more money, if they get more from a exclusive then that is what they will do.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
DIRECTV Examines New 'Ticket' Pricing, Streaming

Washington, D.C. (August 25, 2013) - This is an update on our earlier coverage of the future of the NFL Sunday Ticket. See earlier article below.

In a survey sent recently to subscribers, DIRECTV is asking whether they would support different pricing plans for the NFL Sunday Ticket, and a less expensive Internet-only option, writes Reuters.com.

The survey is interesting because DIRECTV, which has had the exclusive rights to the pay package of Sunday NFL games since its debut in 1994, has publicly acknowledged it might be willing to share the games with other providers after its contract expires in 2014. In addition, Google has expressed an interest in licensing the games, apparently in part as an Internet-only service, according to AllThingsD.com.

It would appear that DIRECTV is trying to determine if their subscribers would be happy with perhaps paying less for a less exclusive arrangement with fewer features. Plus, Google's interest in an Internet play might be forcing DIRECTV's hand in offering a similar streaming edition of the Ticket.

Reuters writes that the survey suggests that the streaming plan would be cheaper than the normal price for the NFL Sunday Ticket. In fact, one question hints at a $26 a month plan. At that rate, the total streaming price for the season would be at least half of the normal price.

It should be noted that companies issue consumers surveys all the time prior to take action on difficult issues. But that doesn't mean that the questions contained within the survey will ever become reality, be it pricing or actual service plan, such as streaming. Consumer surveys are designed to test the waters to prevent a company from receiving too much negative fallout when it does act.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Ya but you must pay massive fees for access to all those knitting channels.

Most of that type of content can be found on Youtube or podcasts, which are cheaper to produce and free to the listener/viewer. Also available on Internet TV boxes like Apple TV.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Most of that type of content can be found on Youtube or podcasts, which are cheaper to produce and free to the listener/viewer. Also available on Internet TV boxes like Apple TV.

M7GWIwQ.gif

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I wouldn't mind if Apple got Sunday Ticket. I just don't want to pay $99 plus the subscription price to watch it. My Xbox 360 can stream already. Just give me access. That way no $99 for an Apple TV. My Hopper can do that too.

You might have a hard time convincing people to pay $99 for an Apple TV. They already had Sunday Ticket . All they had to do was turn on their DVR. My dad has Direct for Sunday Ticket. There is no way in hell he would pay $99 to stream it from the net. I bet most of the older generation would feel that way.

My dad drives a truck for a living. He loved The Bubba The Love Sponge show. Hell we went to Cleveland for Bubbapalooza. When Bubba went Internet only he said no way. He didn't want to have to upgrade his phone to a smart phone and pay an extra $30 a month for a data plan. He liked the convenience of his Sirius radio. So I know what he would say to streaming only.

It needs to be open to all providers. Do you think Apple would do that if they got it? Maybe license it somehow?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I wouldn't mind if Apple got Sunday Ticket. I just don't want to pay $99 plus the subscription price to watch it. My Xbox 360 can stream already. Just give me access. That way no $99 for an Apple TV. My Hopper can do that too.

By the same token, I'm not a gamer, so buying an XBox 360 would be a waste of money in my eyes. It's more cost-effective to pay $99 for an Apple TV since I watch Movies and TV shows plus video podcasts and Youtube/Vimeo content, and I can stream my iTunes Library and (soon) iTunes Radio through it.

You might have a hard time convincing people to pay $99 for an Apple TV. They already had Sunday Ticket . All they had to do was turn on their DVR. My dad has Direct for Sunday Ticket. There is no way in hell he would pay $99 to stream it from the net. I bet most of the older generation would feel that way.

That's their choice, but there are plenty of people who would cancel DirecTV immediately and go get a device like an Apple TV, Chromecast or Roku and make that their primary device for watching TV.

By all accounts, most of the older generation are joining the younger ones in cutting the cord. Not by large numbers, but large enough to make the cable monopolies stand up and take notice.

My dad drives a truck for a living. He loved The Bubba The Love Sponge show. Hell we went to Cleveland for Bubbapalooza. When Bubba went Internet only he said no way. He didn't want to have to upgrade his phone to a smart phone and pay an extra $30 a month for a data plan. He liked the convenience of his Sirius radio. So I know what he would say to streaming only.

That's his choice. If people are fans enough, they'll do what it takes. How many people ponied up $13 a month to only listen to Stern when he took the money and ran to Sirius?

It needs to be open to all providers. Do you think Apple would do that if they got it? Maybe license it somehow?

Is DIRECTV licensing it out to Comcast or Time Warner? I think that answers that question.

I bought my folks an Apple TV for their anniversary a few years back and they watch Netflix on it every night. My dad uses it for photography video podcasts and I use it for Netflix, the occasional movie and podcasts I'm interested in. They are not big sports fans (outside the Broncos which are ALWAYS on locally) and neither am I. But there are those choices for those who want their out of market teams in MLB, NBA and NHL, adding NFL to that list (whether exclusive or not) is the next logical step. If people want to cry in their beers because the EEEVIL Apple took away their Sunday Ticket, that's their problem. Technology moves ahead whether people like it or not. This is the way viewing technology is headed.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

That decision isn't made by Apple or DirecTV. The NFL decides how they license Sunday Ticket. They will try to maximize their profit. That means some math majors are building functions with inputs for price and different distribution channels and finding the curve with the biggest area under it. That's the one they will pick, and it might mean raising the price, lowering the price, become more exclusive or less exclusive.

I don't think the $99 price tag for Apple TV scares the NFL. DirecTV's purchase, installation and monthly fees dwarf that.

DirecTV probably paid a big premium to use Sunday Ticket to drive up subscriber numbers. Apple (or Google) could do the same.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
First off who said Apple was evil? I didn't. You didn't get my point. I already have a streaming device. So do you. We should all be able to stream it on what we already have. That's what I ment

My dad is a huge fan of Bubba. He's not a fanboy. He's only going go so far. Pay $200 for a smart phone and $30 a month for a data plan. No way. With Sirius and Stern it was easy. Buy a radio pay a subscription and thats it. He had XM way before Stern ever thought of leaving. He's a truck driver. He already had Satellite radio.

I went with my parents to help them pick out their TV. They bought a 70inch smart TV. It had Netflix already installed. Again it was the convenience factor.

The last thing I want to do is argue about this shit. I really don't care. I was just trying to add my opinion. I wasn't putting down Apple or Apple TV. From now on I'll just shut the fuck up. Since some of you think I'm against what you like. Sorry about the license idea. It was a thought. Geez

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm not an mod, but let's keep this thread on topic and let's don't go off course with an possible closer.