Annoying Words & Phrases

FAMBUSHING

This is utterly stupid on a number of levels. The name is dumb (and very off-putting). If you wanted to name this concept (more on that later), why wouldn't you make it a variant of "stalking" or "snooping"? There's no ambushing involved in texting someone.

But really, my reaction to the whole concept is "What?". Now, parents track their kids' whereabouts, which is something one could have a legitimate discussion about. Right? But I've never heard of anyone being stalked by their kids, except perhaps Speaker Mike Johnson. If anything, the kids are monitoring their parents' whereabouts, so they can avoid them; not bug them.

What kid cares that their parent is at a Mexican restaurant? And they see their mom is at a store, and ask her to pickup something. So what? My wife and I do that all the time. I call bullshit on this so-called trend.
 
There are 2 things in this world that I can't believe they just let people do:
- Drive a car in public;
- Name your kid.

A friend of mine just announced that his new grandson is named Rome. And this comes on the heels of another friend's grandson being named Bentley, and another one we know named Winston. WTF is going on?
 
There are 2 things in this world that I can't believe they just let people do:
- Drive a car in public;
- Name your kid.

A friend of mine just announced that his new grandson is named Rome. And this comes on the heels of another friend's grandson being named Bentley, and another one we know named Winston. WTF is going on?
My parents named me Hectic……I’m still trying to figure that one out.
 
This is utterly stupid on a number of levels.
Agreed. But in slight defense of the (dumb) term, I think the 'ambush' part of it comes from kids seeing that their parents are at a romantic dinner at a nice restaurant or a walk in the park (aka finally got away from the little fuckers) and 'ambush' them by showing up unannounced. Yes, using 'ambush' is still stupid but at least it makes a little sense in that context.
 
Agreed. But in slight defense of the (dumb) term, I think the 'ambush' part of it comes from kids seeing that their parents are at a romantic dinner at a nice restaurant or a walk in the park (aka finally got away from the little fuckers) and 'ambush' them by showing up unannounced. Yes, using 'ambush' is still stupid but at least it makes a little sense in that context.
Yes, perhaps that's a part of it, but they don't talk much about that in the article. But also, is this really a thing? I'd think there'd be a million things a kid would rather do than that. And logistically, the kid would have to be at driving age to do it anyway. The concept seems made-up.
 
I listen to a shitton of Eagles sports talk and I have heard a few people who have shows use the phrase "of it all" to end a sentence. For example, if they are talking about Devonta being hurt, move on to something else and while they're wrapping that up they'll say:

"Not to mention the Jalen of it all." Or some version of that to say there's still a big topic they haven't covered yet.

I'm not sure if this is a new Philly thing, a Birds reporters thing or an overall American thing.

All the pods and shows I consume about the bird are based in Philly. And I specifically remember 2 separate Eagles beat writers saying it on different shows that are owned by different companies. However, the Eagles beat is kinda an incestuous community where they all know each other very well despite what company they work for. There are only around 30 who are credentialed to be at every training camp day and practice and stuff like that

So idk, it annoys me. Have any of you all heard ppl use it yet?
 
Okay this is perfect timing. I took a little break from the phish show to go to the kitchen and I was listening to a birds podcast and right after I made that post like 20 minutes later one of the guys on the show said it.

The stuff isn't perfect because it's the AI generated captions from Spotify but the "of it all" part is certainly right there.

 
Last edited:
I know all these sports talk shows are popular, but I don't know how anyone can listen to them. It's all cliches and euphemisms and stating the obvious and trying to connect things that aren't connected. It's like when a player or coach says "well, the problem is we just didn't execute". That tells us absolutely nothing.
 
"God" is not mentioned in any of the 35 annoying sports expressions – but how many players thank God after a victory? "God was on our side," they declare, as if God really cares who wins a fershlugginer football game. And now let's hear from C.J. Stroud:

 
Back
Top Bottom