Good 15
Okay 12
Bad 13
Quite good for a late 80s countdown
27. INTO THE NIGHT - BENNY MARDONES
16. WHERE ARE YOU NOW - JIMMY HARNEN WITH SYNCH
After hearing "Where Are You Now", I wanted to learn more about the song. I ended up learning so much, I wrote a bio of Jimmy Harnen on genius.com. Short version: Jimmy grabbed a few friends and recorded this song and one more. Then on whim, he called a radio station that was promoting a local Bon Jovi concert and offered to be the opening act. He auditioned for the station's program director and got the gig. The station put the song in rotation. The band sold 15,000 copies of the record independently. Then they got signed and the song went to #77 in 1986. Later in 1988, a company that owned a bunch of radio stations decided to play some older, forgotten minor hits from bands like Sherriff, Benny Mardones and Synch - BAM! Their old songs all re-charted -- but much much higher than previously. Sheriff's song originally peaked at #61, but then re-peaked at #1! Very interesting story!
Full story:
Jimmy Harnen Lyrics, Songs, and Albums | Genius
23. VERONICA - ELVIS COSTELLO
I've always loved this song, but recently I read an interview where Costello bashed it. Talking about how he didn't like it anymore and blamed the fact it was a big hit. I still like the song, but that left a sour taste in my mouth.
17. IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW - SIMPLY RED
13. I DROVE ALL NIGHT - CYNDI LAUPER
@semipenguin I remember this one back then and loved it then and still love it now. In fact, I would name it 'the hottest pop song ever recorded'. The lyrics just own me (later I learned two guys wrote it, but it's Cyndi's delivery that makes it work). So much passion! However, I can't stand Celine's version. So un-sexy.
#46 Cure "Fascination Street"
#50 Queen "I Want It All"
#67 Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock "Joy & Pain"
#87 REM "Pop Song 89"
#92 New Order "Round & Round"
#98 10,000 Maniacs "Trouble Me"
#99 Skid Row "Youth Gone Wild"
It is an absolute SIN that these songs didn't break the top 40! All are classics! Aside from Skid Row, I listen to these all the time and have been consistently for decades. I still like the Skid Row, but I just don't think to ever listen to them - however when it does come on I still crank it.
Songs that won't reach the top 40
#46 Cure "Fascination Street"
#50 Queen "I Want It All"
#54 Cult "Fire Woman"
#55 Chicago "We Can Last Forever"
#64 Wang Chung "Praying To A New God"
#65 Kevin Raleigh "Moonlight On Water"
#67 Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock "Joy & Pain"
#72 Whistle "Right Next To Me"
#77 Jacksons "Nothin' (That Compares 2 U)"
#78 Pajama Party "Yo No Se"
#79 Animotion "Calling It Love"
#80 Surface "Closer Than Friends"
#82 Holly Johnson "Love Train"
#86 Swing Out Sister "Waiting Game"
#87 REM "Pop Song 89"
#88 Vanessa Williams "Darlin' I"
#90 Sam Brown "Stop"
#91 TKA "You Are The One"
#92 New Order "Round & Round"
#96 Q-feel "Dancing In Heaven"
#97 Guy "I Like"
#98 10,000 Maniacs "Trouble Me"
#99 Skid Row "Youth Gone Wild"