80s0n8 Big 40 Countdown Schedule

Ray Kennedy's Just For The Moment was #89. Did you not read sadchild's post? Kennedy released two solo albums, two albums as leader of Group Therapy and two albums as a member of KGB (which also included former Blind Faith bassist Ric Grech and former Vanilla Fudge drummer Carmine Appice). Anyone can write about the big songs and artists. I like to write about about lesser-known songs and artists. You're welcome.

I did not memorize his not-top-40 list.
 
These 3 are good songs which I would have thought would do better. The first 2 got lots of airplay in Saskatchewan. Of course Red Rider is Canadian. Interestingly their bigger US hit Lunatic Fringe did not as well in Canada (or at least Saskatchewan) as other songs such as White Hot.
These.
Except White Hot.
I don't remember that one.
 
A girl I had the hots for back in the late 80's knew of him, so I picked up a few of his cassettes.
For the era, they were decent albums. I haven't listened to them in 20 years or so. I should look them up on-line to see how they still sound. Could be amusing to revisit.
 
I am curious how we started talking about Gowan when we started with Red Rider.


Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
 
It was the connection between Red Rider being known better in Canada and other artists that didn't get discovered south of the border. (Your southern border, not ours.)
 
BanwhNgCMAEMalM.jpg
 
1988

40. ENDLESS SUMMER NIGHTS - RICHARD MARX
39. NIGHTTIME - PRETTY POISON
38. RITUAL - DAN REED NETWORK
37. I'M STILL SEARCHING - GLASS TIGER
36. FOOLISH BEAT - DEBBIE GIBSON
35. I STILL BELIEVE - BRENDA K. STARR
34. ROCKET 2 U - THE JETS
33. MAKE IT REAL - THE JETS
32. WE ALL SLEEP ALONE - CHER
31. MAN IN THE MIRROR - MICHAEL JACKSON
30. CIRCLE IN THE SAND - BELINDA CARLISLE
29. ONE GOOD REASON - PAUL CARRACK
28. STRANGE BUT TRUE - TIMES TWO
27. SAY IT AGAIN - JERMAIN STEWART
26. MY GIRL - SUAVE
25. TOGETHER FOREVER - RICK ASTLEY
24. DREAMING - ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK
23. I WISH I HAD A GIRL - HENRY LEE SUMMER
22. PAMELA - TOTO
21. EVERYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES - HALL & OATES
20. I SAW HIM STANDING THERE - TIFFANY
19. ONE STEP UP - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
18. PIANO IN THE DARK - BRENDA RUSSEL FEATURING JOE ESPOSITO
17. GIRLFRIEND - PEBBLES
16. TWO OCCASIONS - THE DEELE
15. GET OUTTA MY DREAMS, GET INTO MY CAR - BILLY OCEAN
14. ONE MORE TRY - GEORGE MICHAEL
13. WAIT - WHITE LION
12. DEVIL INSIDE - INXS
11. I DON'T WANT TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU - FOREIGNER
10. NAUGHTY GIRLS (NEED LOVE TOO) - SAMANTHA FOX
9. ELECTRIC BLUE - ICEHOUSE
8. SHATTERED DREAMS - JOHNNY HATES JAZZ
7. PROVE YOUR LOVE - TAYLOR DAYNE
6. ALWAYS ON MY MIND - PET SHOP BOYS
5. PINK CADILLAC - NATALIE COLE
4. WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO - WHITNEY HOUSTON
3. ANGEL - AEROSMITH
2. ANYTHING FOR YOU - GLORIA ESTEFAN & MIAMI SOUND MACHINE
1. WISHING WELL - TERRANCE TRENT D'ARBY
 
Good 4
Okay 11
Bad 25

Oof. Rough countdown.

31. MAN IN THE MIRROR - MICHAEL JACKSON

Did the VJ say it's one of the best songs Michael ever wrote? MJ didn't write it.

Written-By – Glenn Ballard, Siedah Garrett

28. STRANGE BUT TRUE - TIMES TWO

The VJ said it was their only song to chart? If I heard that right, they're wrong because their cover of Cecelia reached #79.

26. MY GIRL - SUAVE
20. I SAW HIM STANDING THERE - TIFFANY


Covers that make you say 'Dear God WHY??'

16. TWO OCCASIONS - THE DEELE

849ec66b71f5b46eaaf54fdc6fd56492.jpg


4. WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO - WHITNEY HOUSTON

The VJ said Whitney hated it. I concur.

#63 Big Pig "Breakaway"

Kinda cool-ish sounding.

#79 Kool Moe Dee "Wild, Wild West"

Later #1 in 1999 as reinvented by Will Smith.

#91 Depeche Mode "Route 66/Behind The Wheel"

Didn't know them then. Love both songs now.

#94 10,000 Maniacs "Like The Weather"

Didn't know it in '88, but heard it a year or two later . It's 10x better than most of this countdown.

#99 Sting "Englishman In New York"

What? A #84 peak?! That's a sin!

Will never make the top 40
(wow every song from 41-56 made the top 40!)
#57 Bananarama "Love In The First Degree"
#61 Nu Shooz "Should I Say Yes?"
#63 Big Pig "Breakaway"
#67 Merry Clayton "Yes"
#68 David Lee Roth "Stand Up"
#69 Sweet Sensation "Take It While It's Hot"
#72 Noel "Like A Child"
#74 Underworld "Underneath The Radar"
#79 Kool Moe Dee "Wild, Wild West"
#80 Jody Watley "Most Of All"
#81 Stevie B "Dreamin' Of Love"
#82 Jesse Johnson "Love Struck"
#84 New Order "Blue Monday 1988"
#87 Lonzo And World Class Wreckin Kru "Turn Off The Lights"
#89 Stevie Wonder/Michael Jackson "Get It"
#91 Depeche Mode "Route 66/Behind The Wheel"
#93 Honeymoon Suite "Love Changes Everything"
#94 10,000 Maniacs "Like The Weather"
#95 Adventures "Broken Land"
#96 Elisa Fiorillo "Forgive Me For Dreaming"
#97 Kingdom Come "Get It On"
#98 Agnetha Faltskog/Peter Cetera "I Wasn't The One (Who Said Goodbye)"
#99 Sting "Englishman In New York"
 
Last edited:
Yeah not a good countdown for me either.
Maybe a dozen songs in the good/okay categories. The other 25 - 28 songs I could do without.
 
David Lee Roth never made it into the 90s. He barely made it into 1988.

Brenda K. Starr has been credited as having a big influence on Mariah Carey. She didn't have much success outside of the 80s, either.
 
Back
Top Bottom