80s0n8 Big 40 Countdown Schedule

I remember that song. I worked in a furniture shop back in the day and the boss left a pop station on all day. I heard that song waaaaaay to much. I was never a fan.
 
I listened to the countdown from 1987 last night.

I swear, I've never heard the number one song in my entire life.

Maybe some of you who listened to pop radio in 1987 can school me on this number one song & the television episode it came from, after it failed as a 1981 release!

At This Moment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Without going into the Wikipedia link, it was used in the television show Family Ties which at the time had a huge following and in this TV season had a great time slot following The Cosby Show. Can't remember the exact usage but Alex(Michael J. Fo heard this song when saying goodbye to his girlfriend(Tracy Pollan) who had left to go to Europe. This song played as he was writing a goodbye letter. In an aside Michael J. Fox and Tacy Pollan were married in real life a few years later.
 
This weeks countdown was used exactly one year ago this weekend. Back on page 7 is the countdown for the weekend of 1/31/87 and on other website they posted the countdown for this week. Exactly the same all the way through. Just an interesting discovery I made while perusuing the archives here.
 
I listened to the countdown from 1987 last night.

I swear, I've never heard the number one song in my entire life.

Maybe some of you who listened to pop radio in 1987 can school me on this number one song & the television episode it came from, after it failed as a 1981 release!

At This Moment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here (courtesy of you tube) is the apparent use of this weeks #1 song in 1987 from Family Ties

 
Without going into the Wikipedia link, it was used in the television show Family Ties which at the time had a huge following and in this TV season had a great time slot following The Cosby Show. Can't remember the exact usage but Alex(Michael J. Fo heard this song when saying goodbye to his girlfriend(Tracy Pollan) who had left to go to Europe. This song played as he was writing a goodbye letter. In an aside Michael J. Fox and Tacy Pollan were married in real life a few years later.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't much of a Family Ties watcher. I think I did catch it in syndication, tho.

Jan 1987 I was a Junior in High School. I must have been too busy to notice. That was the only year I was able to compete in wrestling the entire year, since I was finally getting good enough grades.
 
Thanks for the info. I wasn't much of a Family Ties watcher. I think I did catch it in syndication, tho.

Jan 1987 I was a Junior in High School. I must have been too busy to notice. That was the only year I was able to compete in wrestling the entire year, since I was finally getting good enough grades.

I was a freshman in high school that year. I wasn't either. I was never home Thursday nights since we almost always had a late basketball practice(I was manager) or I was running the scoreboard for B-squad games that night.(we got a new scoreboard that year and I was only one of two people that knew how to run it inits entirety)
 
1987

40: MANDOLIN RAIN - BRUCE HORNSBY & THE RANGE
39: EVERYBODY HAVE FUN TONIGHT - WANG CHUNG
38: ALL I WANTED - KANSAS
37: BRAND NEW LOVER - DEAD OR ALIVE
36: CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE - COREY HART
35: I WANNA GO BACK - EDDIE MONEY
34: FALLING IN LOVE - MIAMI SOUND MACHINE
33: RESPECT YOURSELF - BRUCE WILLIS
32: (YOU GOTTA) FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT (TO PARTY) - BEASTIE BOYS
31: I'LL BE ALRIGHT WITHOUT YOU - JOURNEY
30: JIMMY LEE - ARETHA FRANKLIN
29: SOMEWHERE OUT THERE - LINDA RONSTADT & JAMES INGRAM
28: COMING AROUND AGAIN - CARLY SIMON
27: STAY THE NIGHT - BENJAMIN ORR
26: BIG TIME - PETER GABRIEL
25: TALK TO ME - CHICO DEBARGE
24: NOTORIOUS - DURAN DURAN
23: JACOB'S LADDER - HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS
22: NOBODY'S FOOL - CINDERELLA
21: STOP TO LOVE - LUTHER VANDROSS
20: YOU GOT IT ALL - THE JETS
19: WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN - THE BANGLES
18: THIS IS THE TIME - BILLY JOEL
17: LOVE YOU DOWN - READY FOR THE WORLD
16: IS THIS LOVE - SURVIVOR
15: VICTORY - KOOL & THE GANG
14: BALLERINA GIRL - LIONEL RICHIE
13: WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME - CHICAGO
12: WE'RE READY - BOSTON
11: KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF - GEORGIA SATELLITES
10: TOUCH ME (I WANT YOUR BODY) - SAMANTHA FOX
9: LIVIN' ON A PRAYER - BON JOVI
8: SHAKE YOU DOWN - GREGORY ABBOTT
7: SOMEDAY - GLASS TIGER
6: CONTROL - JANET JACKSON
5: CHANGE OF HEART - CYNDI LAUPER
4: LAND OF CONFUSION - GENESIS
3: C'EST LA VIE - ROBBIE NEVILLE
2: OPEN YOUR HEART - MADONNA
1: AT THIS MOMENT - BILLY VERA & THE BEATERS
 
1985

40: HIGH ON YOU - SURVIVOR
39: I WANNA HEAR IT FROM YOUR LIPS - ERIC CARMEN
38: OOH OOH SONG - PAT BENATAR
37: KEEPIN' THE FAITH - BILLY JOEL
36: NAUGHTY NAUGHTY - JOHN PARR
35: RELAX - FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
34: ONLY THE YOUNG - JOURNEY
33: MISTAKE NUMBER THREE - CULTURE CLUB
32: LOVERGIRL - TEENA MARIE
31: JAMIE - RAY PARKER JR.
30: PRIVATE DANCER - TINA TURNER
29: ROCKIN' AT MIDNIGHT - THE HONEYDRIPPERS
28: TENDERNESS - GENERAL PUBLIC
27: MONEY CHANGES EVERYTHING - CYNDI LAUPER
26: TOO LATE FOR GOODBYES - JULIAN LENNON
25: RUN TO YOU - BRYAN ADAMS
24: ALL I NEED - JACK WAGNER
23: JUNGLE LOVE- THE TIME
22: LOVE LIGHT IN FLIGHT - STEVIE WONDER
21: MR. TELEPHONE MAN - NEW EDITION
20: MISLED - KOOL & THE GANG
19: FOOLISH HEART - STEVE PERRY
18: OPERATOR - MIDNIGHT STARR
17: THE OLD MAN DOWN THE ROAD - JOHN FOGERTY
16: CAN'T FIGHT THIS FEELING - REO SPEEDWAGON
15: CALL TO THE HEART - GIUFFRIA
14: SUGAR WALLS - SHEENA EASTON
13: CALIFORNIA GIRLS - DAVID LEE ROTH
12: SOLID - ASHFORD & SIMPSON
11: THE HEAT IS ON - GLENN FRY
10: I WOULD DIE 4U - PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION
09: LIKE A VIRGIN - MADONNA
08: NEUTRON DANCE - POINTER SISTERS
07: METHOD OF MODERN LOVE - HALL & OATES
06: YOU'RE THE INSPIRATION - CHICAGO
05: THE BOYS OF SUMMER - DON HENLEY
04: LOVERBOY - BILLY OCEAN
03: CARELESS WHISPER - WHAM (FEATURING GEORGE MICHAEL)
02: EASY LOVER - PHILLIP BAILEY & PHIL COLLINS
01: I WANT TO KNOW WHAT LOVE IS - FOREIGNER
 
Back
Top Bottom