2026/2027 NHL/AHL Season including Playoffs

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
It's August so naturally it is time to start talking hockey. With the Marlies just finishing their Caulder Cup run 2 months ago, the off season has seemed shorter than usual. The Leafs off season of course was much longer.

I don't expect the Marlies to repeat. But looking forward to the new season. Home Opener October 3rd against the Hamilton Hammers. They are the New York Islanders AHL franchise moved from Bridgeport this off season. They have also changed divisions.

The Leafs got their #1 draft pick. Hopefully they can at least sneak back into the playoffs.

Let's discuss your favourite teams here.
 
I'm good with most teams, no built-in hatred for any teams especially.
I have t-shirts of the Maple Leafs and the Islanders. So: Go Maple Leafs and Go Islanders!
 
NHL - Arizona Coyotes

250px-Arizona_Coyotes_logo_%282021%29.svg.png


AHL - Tucson Roadrunners

250px-Tucson_Roadrunners_logo_2025.svg.png


I don't know how much longer the Roadrunners will last in Arizona, especially with former Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo, who is still a fucking asshole, potentially taking the last professional hockey team in Arizona and moving them to Reno.
 
We are usually invited to see the Milwaukee Admirals (AHL) on Badger Band Night. They play at the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena, An older arena but very good viewing for a hockey game. For NHL, I have only been to a Minnesota Wild home game. I will just watch what is available on HBO Max and this year I will follow on Hulu/ESPN. Whoever is playing.
 
Why hasn’t Milwaukee had its own NHL team, too close to Chicago?
Too cold? :dunno1

  • Market Size: Milwaukee ranks as a smaller media market, making it harder to financially support overlapping major professional leagues alongside the NBA's Bucks and MLB's Brewers.
  • Nearby Competition: The close proximity of the Chicago Blackhawks and Minnesota Wild means the NHL already claims regional broadcast and fan territories.
  • History: An effort in the early 1990s to bring an NHL expansion franchise to Milwaukee via the Bradley Center fell through when expansion costs escalated beyond the ownership group's budget
 
They sound in the same boat as Hamilton, ON. They have tried for a team a couple of times but they would need to get permission from Buffalo and Toronto as they are both within their range of influence. Toronto likely would give permission. Toronto-Hamilton is a great rivalry. But Buffalo lives off Canadian visitors. They would veto and have said so. So the team never came to fruition.
 
Maybe for now watch a few sessions like I did with the Apple Baseball on Friday night. Unless the game is really interesting.
It's still very early in the season. There's also a Catlin Clark playoff game on Prime
 
What the heck it's opening night for hockey. I changed my mind I'm just going to stay home and watch all night. Just like Matt Dillion did in "Beautiful Girls". Especially when I seen the lineup of games. Carolina, Boston and Las Vegas (with the nice arena that hosted the Frozen 4 last April) have home games tonight. I can always walk or something between intermissions or take my app to the Y. Fun!!
 
I cannot believe the officials call penalties like crazy but let the players fight. Near the end of the first quarter, both players put up the fists, the official should have just rang the bell to start, then they swung at each other for about two minutes, then wrestled, they finally broke it up when the Florida player took down the Carolina player. Then the Carolina player was waving up the crowd like he won the fight.
 
I cannot believe the officials call penalties like crazy but let the players fight. Near the end of the first quarter, both players put up the fists, the official should have just rang the bell to start, then they swung at each other for about two minutes, then wrestled, they finally broke it up when the Florida player took down the Carolina player. Then the Carolina player was waving up the crowd like he won the fight.
They almost always let them complete if they are unable to stop them from starting. The home player always wins.
 
Game 1: Florida beat the defending champions Carolina with 20 seconds left in overtime. I watched the 3rd period and overtime rowing at the Y. I consider being at the Y like being home since it is so close.

Game 2: Looks easier to see on TV. Maybe the cameras are closer to the ice at the Boston arena. Having a nice time for Opening Night
Update: Boston Bruins score 3 goals in last three minutes to win 3-0. Next game has already started. ESPN Plus had two games tonight too

Update
Game 3: Las Vegas up 2-0 at end of 1st period. They sure put on a show when they score a goal, lights and dancing girls
 
Last edited:
Hooray for the Las Vegas Golden Knights. They won the final game of opening night 5-2 over the Blackhawks. I wonder if the crowd will get anything for the 5 goals. Here when the Badgers score 5 goals, you can take your ticket to Culvers for a scoop of custard. I watched all three games. I had experience watching long hours of play from the March Madness first and second round. Got to use my espn subscription
 
Back
Top Bottom