2023/2024 NHL Season Thread including Playoffs

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Another late start.

Went to see the Chicago Blackhawks vs the Buffalo Sabres in Buffalo. We got the tickets so we could see Bedard. The game was originally scheduled for yesterday but was delayed by snow. There was snow tonight too. It was a fun game but it was clear neither team was that good. Buffalo wound up winning 3-0.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Today I learned that the Toronto Marlies are named after the Toronto Marlborough Athletic Club, a team that played from 1904 to 1989 and was named for the Duke of Marlborough, Charles Richard John Spencer-Churchill, who served in the House of Lords from 1892 to 1934. The team was popularly known as the Marlboros or Marlies. The name had no connection to Marlboro cigarettes, which were named for Great Marlborough Street in London, home to a Philip Morris cigarette factory. And where did the name Marlborough come from? I'm glad I asked.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Today I learned that the Toronto Marlies are named after the Toronto Marlborough Athletic Club, a team that played from 1904 to 1989 and was named for the Duke of Marlborough, Charles Richard John Spencer-Churchill, who served in the House of Lords from 1892 to 1934. The team was popularly known as the Marlboros or Marlies. The name had no connection to Marlboro cigarettes, which were named for Great Marlborough Street in London, home to a Philip Morris cigarette factory. And where did the name Marlborough come from? I'm glad I asked.

I suspect that same team spent time from 1989 to late 2000s in St. John's as the Leafs (junior). The next level team down from the current Marlies plays there. The Leafs returned to Toronto as the Marlies in 2008 or 2009.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
As a Xmas/Bday present to my son, I got us tickets to all the NHL All Star events (except for FanFest) in Toronto. So far the draft and the skills competition have been fun. It's fun to interact with hockey fans of all stripes as well as seeing some good hockey. We played a little bingo game where we marked off teams whose jerseys we saw on fans (mascots or players don't count). The actual game is tomorrow but I feel it will be anti-climactic.

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
lI pay more attention to the NHL after football is over but the Flyers are doing better than anyone expected so far this season I think.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Good for you IRBS going to some of the all-star events.

Hockey for me has become my favorite sport besides football. I don’t watch closely enough to know all the rules but it’s fun to watch. The action isn’t interrupted every three minutes by free throws or commercial breaks either.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Hockey for me has become my favorite sport besides football. I don’t watch closely enough to know all the rules but it’s fun to watch. The action isn’t interrupted every three minutes by free throws or commercial breaks either.

That's exactly how I feel!

It goes:

NFL

NHL
NBA
MLB

Then all the rest of the weird barely American non team sports like tennis and golf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My son and I went to a PWHL game last night: Montreal @ Toronto (Battle of Bay Street). It was an exciting game. They get away with a lot more cheap shots from the refs than the guys do. Also less offsides seem to be called. Not sure whether there is leniency from linespersons or the girls are better at timing their enterences. Rules are nearly identical to NHL except that any goal ends a penalty even short handed. Teams are a bit more aggressive even down a man (ETA: down a woman).

It was a woman's record crowd. They played this game at Scotiabank Arena. It was a sellout. If the New York or Boston team play in their town's NHL arenas and they sellout they could likely beat this record. Maybe even Montreal.

We enjoyed it but we already see plenty of hockey so won't likely make this a regular occurrence.

Toronto won 3-0 scoring 3 goals in the third period including 1 empty netter. With the 3 points for the win they are now tied with Montreal for second place.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well, I decided to go to a playoff game (with my son). Game 6. Do or die (again) in a series that they were down 3-1. Austin Matthews out with injury again. History suggests that we would lose. However, they put a brilliant performance and won 2-1. It actually ended 2-0 but as the green light went on as the puck crossed the goal. So they reviewed and gave the Bruins a goal and dropped the puck with 0.1 seconds on the clock. They had to play their win music a second time. And Woll did not get the shutout he deserved. The Bruins were all over the Leafs for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods but could not score (aside from the meaningless one at the end). Now back to Boston for game 7. Game 7 against Boston has brought many heartaches so I will withhold all optimism until the final buzzer on Saturday. But I am proud of them for their effort.

I do think Boston can lose. Last year they had the best record in hockey ever and were up 3-1 in opening round and lost. This has to be in the back of their minds this year. If it wasn't for our bad luck against them I would be very confident about that.