2017 Movies & Tv Show

Few questions swirling around about your kid seeing Spinal Tap. Now that the documentary style is so prevalent, did it seem dated? Did she get the running joke about drummers dying? Did you feel compelled to alert her when a good scene was coming up?

1. No.
2. I assume so.
3. No. No talking or texting at the Drafthouse.

Making a kid see "This is Spinal Tap" to me almost seems like child abuse.

Why?
 
I was watching the Menendez brothers Law and Order

Good God. IDK how real this TV is but man do they make the Menendez kids look like real victims. Holy shit the abuse was horrific. Going solely from a TV show, there is no way these kids deserved life with no parole. 25-life or something like that seems reasonable to me. I knew about them and the trial at the time but didn't know they had a second trial where all the abuse was not permitted. This show was a normal, kinda run of the mill Law and Order for the first few episodes but oh man does it get dark. It has me feeling bad for 2 kids who brutally murdered their parents.

But then again it's an entertainment show first and I'm too lazy to read a Wikipedia article so who knows.
 
I was flipping channels and saw Grown Ups 2 on TV. I just saw one of my favorite clips, it's so hot!!! If I was straight.

 
It's Oscar movie time and I'm really looking forward to seeing Lady Bird. It comes to my theater tomorrow and I think I'll check it out sometime next week.
 
Netflix put of a real life, 8 episode version of Night Crawler today and I'm getting a kick out of it so far.

 
Last night I saw "Bitch". It's advertised as a dark feminist horror/comedy about a housewife who turns into a dog. The trailers didn't look promising, but I wanted to see a movie and nothing else looked interesting.

It was horrible. It was poorly written. It tried something adventurous with the soundtrack, where each character or setting was backed by absurd sound effects. That didn't work. But the big flaw was the husband. He was like a cartoon villain version of a bad husband. Then somehow his wife becoming a dog made him better.

Similar material was handled better in "Mr. Mom".
 
I liked This Is Us last year and have been saving the new season to binge. I've watched 5 episodes in a row today. What I didn't notice last year, but is easy to pick up on during a marathon session, is that every episode follows the exact same formula.

1. Cute, playful jokes.
2. Awkward, embarrassing or upsetting situation.
3. At least one character showing growth or compassion.
4. Tear jerking resolution.

Boom! That's it. And I know this stuff is in lots of dramas but with this show it goes in that order every single episode. Go watch a random episode it will unfold like that. But it works because there is such a large cast they switch up who is involved in each scenario every time.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom