WTD 2009 Week 16 - Siriusly Sinatra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The Chairman of the Board is at home everyday on channel 75 (XM 73) along with the great voices of our time. From Dean Martin and Tony Bennett to Michael Buble and Diana Krall, Frank is joined by great artists and America's greatest songs. Finally, a 24 hour home for all things Sinatra and the Great American Songbook.

What we play: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr., Peggy Lee and many more...

Playing Favorites
Mondays at 6 pm ET
Rebroadcasts: Thursdays 9 am ET & Saturdays Noon ET
Each week, a guest celebrity host plays their favorite music from Frank Sinatra and other artists who celebrate the Great American Songbook, sharing with you what it is that makes these songs so special.

The Chairman's Hour
Saturdays 6 pm ET
Rebroadcasts: Mondays 2 pm ET, Wednesdays 9 pm ET
SIRIUS and the Sinatra family are proud to present a radio show like you've never heard before. Using archival material, The Chairman's Hour is "hosted" by Frank Sinatra himself, and reflects his body of work as well as the recordings of artists that he respected.

Nancy For Frank
Sundays 5 pm ET
Rebroadcast Tuesdays 11 am ET & Thursdays 9 pm ET
Each week, Nancy Sinatra treats listeners to her favorite recordings by her dad and other artists singing from the pages of the songbook that helped Frank become the greatest vocalist of all time. In addition to songs from his available catalog, Nancy features rare recordings from the family archives. Plus, Nancy offers her reflections on her life with Frank and her observations about his music.

75 on Sirius, 73 on XM.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

channel-75.gif

Last edited:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I first starting liking this channel a few weeks back. I was at work having a rough time. The computer room air conditioner broke down, a backup failed, error messages in job streams etc. I forget what channel I had on but I switched it to Siriusly Sinatra and I calmed down getting issues resolved while enjoying the tunes of Dean Martin etc.

This channel is also good when you are having company over for a formal type dinner. It makes great background music.

5 of 5 stars

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
One of my presets and I enjoy Frank Sinatra and his friends music, but I miss some of the old swing music! That why I listen to the 40's channel sometimes. I give it 3 stars.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
When it was High Standards and Frank's Place, I used to hear the channel in various hotels and while waiting on hold for XM's customer service. It's good background music at best, but it'll never be a preset for me.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Although not my ultimate favorite, this has been a favorite for me on satellite for some time. All the classic standard artists. All the classic songs. Quality music indeed.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
A good news / bad news review...

The bad news - In my opinion, this is the single worst programmed music channel on Sirius XM, considering all it has to work it - The Great American Songbook! To play one artist, even the great Frank Sinatra (whose music I really like, btw) nearly 50% of the time does a great disservice to that genre of music. And it doesn't have to be this way... check out Willie's Place or B.B. King's Bluesville. They certainly don't dominate the playlist the way Frank does on this one.

The good news - This music is simply too good for me to ignore. A lot of great singing and songwriting in this music. It has been a preset of mine for over 4 years now, and will continue to be something I listen to every once in awhile.

3 stars.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
A good news / bad news review...

The bad news - In my opinion, this is the single worst programmed music channel on Sirius XM, considering all it has to work it - The Great American Songbook! To play one artist, even the great Frank Sinatra (whose music I really like, btw) nearly 50% of the time does a great disservice to that genre of music. And it doesn't have to be this way... check out Willie's Place or B.B. King's Bluesville. They certainly don't dominate the playlist the way Frank does on this one.

The good news - This music is simply too good for me to ignore. A lot of great singing and songwriting in this music. It has been a preset of mine for over 4 years now, and will continue to be something I listen to every once in awhile.

3 stars.

What's worse, a single-artist channel, or a channel that plays an artist over half the time?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I like this channel. They play a lot of good stuff. I don't regularly listen to this channel, but I'm going to try and give it a preset when we get done...:)

I guess that I really don't have a problem with them playing Frank half the time on this channel. I guess if I grew up listening to him like many other of an older generation, I'd be ok with it more. My aunt loves Elvis, so she doesn't mind listening to a 100% Elvis channel. At least it's not 100% Frank...:shock:

I give it 4 out of 5 Stars...:cool:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I like this channel. They play a lot of good stuff. I don't regularly listen to this channel, but I'm going to try and give it a preset when we get done...:)

I guess that I really don't have a problem with them playing Frank half the time on this channel. I guess if I grew up listening to him like many other of an older generation, I'd be ok with it more. My aunt loves Elvis, so she doesn't mind listening to a 100% Elvis channel. At least it's not 100% Frank...:shock:

I give it 4 out of 5 Stars...:cool:

A 24/7 Frank channel? :sleepy:

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
I was resistant to this one when it came up on WTD but I like it a bit more that I thought I would. It won't get a preset but I may tune in from time to time. My grandma would love it!:p

I give it three stars.

laxruss

Mar 11, 2009
Siriusly Sinatra is one of the best music channels on Sirius/XM radio. What can I say? It just doesn't get any better....

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've been listening to this one, and I like it.

It's not something I would listen to all the time, or even occasionally... But it's definitely getting a preset. :thumbsup:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
This is (for me) one of the best channels on Sirius/XM. Jonathan Schwartz (3-6P M-F, and on weekend afternoons) is one of the best radio personalities out there. His depth of musical knowledge in this genre is truly unsurpassed. Schwartz is a long-time NYC broadcaster going back to the old WNEW. He also did free-form rock. A very impressive guy.

Yes, the Sinatra heavy music can be annoying if you are not a Sinatra devotee, but I happen to like his interpretation of a lot of music. He's not the best singer out there, but I don't think too many performers have his level of showmanship and delivery.

5 out of 5 stars.

dbirchum

Nov 12, 2008
NL, Canada
Before Sirius and XM merged, there used to be a little channel called Standard Time on Sirius. It was my #1 preset. I listened to it ALL the time and loved it. Then, with a channel update and shuffle, we lost Standard Time and got Siriusly Sinatra in return. I gave it my best effort and tried to like it, but just couldn't. WAY too much Sinatra for me (and trust me, I love Frank). However, it seemed like it was skewed too much to Frank songs and not enough of the American Songbook. Too many of the good songs that were played on Standard Time were now ignored. And don't get me started on the loss of "swing music" on Siriusly Sinatra.

Anyway, it went to my #1 preset to a channel that I couldn't listen to anymore.

Then, with the merge, I get 40s on 4. THAT is now my #1 preset. Still not what Standard Time was (in terms of the mix of songs that were played, but darn close!). Siriusly Sinatra can be axed if you ask me.

1 Star out of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.