Windows 8.1

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Thumbs down from me on Windows 8. Spent the better part of the first day I had it tweaking it to try and resemble previous Windows versions, as best I could.

I like that 8.1 should be more user friendly for those without touch screens, but I'm not sure I want to try the beta version, or if I will wait for the official release.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thumbs down from me on Windows 8. Spent the better part of the first day I had it tweaking it to try and resemble previous Windows versions, as best I could.

I like that 8.1 should be more user friendly for those without touch screens, but I'm not sure I want to try the beta version, or if I will wait for the official release.

I played around with it on my one my old Windows machines. I hated the initial release in that you had to get a third party app to give you the start screen back. This has been the cause of more issues than anything.

Overall I find Windows 8 stable, but the way you often find yourself stuff between two worlds of touch interface and desktop absolutely SUCKS! I upgraded to 8.1 and while this only really partially restores the start button (not by default by the way) it does make the switch between the 2 interfaces a little less crazy.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'll stick with Windows 7, if somebody gave me 8. I'll simply pass, because I tried it out couple of times and it sucks.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'll stick with Windows 7, if somebody gave me 8. I'll simply pass, because I tried it out couple of times and it sucks.

Probably a wise decision. I know enterprise customers are avoiding it like the plague. Tech Soup cannot even give it away for free to non-profits they would rather buy Windows 7.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I was working with my Uncle and his new laptop that has Win 8. I just couldn't get a grip on it. I was having issues with Skydrive and finding stuff. If I had it I'm sure I'd be used to it by now.

I have the Win 8.1 preview, but I haven't installed in on my Mac yet.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Finding setting and such in Window 8 is clear as mud! LOL

Sent from my iPhone 5 with Tapatalk

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
At my job we got new computers, but good thing it came with windows 7, but our Microsoft Office is now upgraded to Office 2013 and that looks a bit different, but still easy to use.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
My job just upgraded our computers, but good thing it came with windows 7, but our Microsoft Office is now upgraded to Office 2013 and that looks a bit different.

Office 2013 is different, but it's awesome! We had it at work for a while. I'm quite impressed with it.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I hate Windows 7. I want to downgrade to Vista. I swear it takes 10 minutes for my laptop to completely startup and there are over 120 processes and it uses 2.7 gig of memory at idle! I thought 7 was supposed to be streamlined.:clueless: My laptop has a 2 GHZ dual core i7 and 8 gigs of RAM, yet it still seems slow.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I hate Windows 7. I want to downgrade to Vista. I swear it takes 10 minutes for my laptop to completely startup and there are over 120 processes and it uses 2.7 gig of memory at idle! I thought 7 was supposed to be streamlined.:clueless: My laptop has a 2 GHZ dual core i7 and 8 gigs of RAM, yet it still seems slow.

We had opposite experience. Laptop came with Vista. Slow as hell. Upgraded to windows 7. Much faster and more stable.

I will stick with win 7 though. Sort of like Star Trek movies. Only every other one is good.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk - now Free

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

Win 7 boots fast. Something else is wrong with your laptop.

You didn't let my mom use it, did you?

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
My old HP was dying and the mother was the culprit, bought a new Dell tower for my 7 year old to use to play mine craft. What a total piece of shit windows 8 is.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I updated to the official 8.1 release today.
Slight improvement, but not by much. :sad:

Bummer. Other reviews said that for seemingly small changes, they managed to improve the usability. I was going to update the Mrs' laptop, but I guess I won't worry about jumping too quickly.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I updated to the official 8.1 release today.
Slight improvement, but not by much. :sad:

Windows 8 is still a hot mess! I was reading about how now certain web sites won't load and no explanation as to how to fix it. It impacts all browsers. MS could screw up a soup sandwich! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD