What screen saver do you use?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Folding@Home. It isn't "wasting" power if it's saving lives.
I run it as a smp service, not as a screen saver...the screen saver version wastes "life saving" clock cycles displaying meaningless colored balls while the monitor sucks up extra juice .
The extra power to display screen savers is most often made by coal fired power plants, that are know to cause cancer and asthma.

So I not only "save lives" by crunching numbers 24/7, I also "save lives " by turning off the monitor when not in use.

:whistle:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I run it as a smp service, not as a screen saver...the screen saver version wastes "life saving" clock cycles displaying meaningless colored balls while the monitor sucks up extra juice .
The extra power to display screen savers is most often made by coal fired power plants, that are know to cause cancer and asthma.

So I not only "save lives" by crunching numbers 24/7, I also "save lives " by turning off the monitor when not in use.

:whistle:

Damn, that's some good smug!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I use the screensaver which cyles through family pictures that comes with XP. I used to use WebShots on Win98 but when I tired to download it when I got my XP machine it came bundled with a whole bunch of bloatware. It was also pretty bloated and memory hogging on Win98 too.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I use electric sheep.
It's kind of like Folding@home but instead of combining the processing power of a ton of different users to cure cancer, it uses them as a rendering farm for super sweet and complex, ever-changing, never-the-same fractal animations.
Now, if you'll excuse me I have to drive my SUV a block to buy cigarettes. I better make sure to turn my heater up while I'm gone and leave the lights on.
Hopefully the store also got a new shipment of Wham-o brand baby seal clubs.