Two Shows I listen to on FM

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 11, 2008.

1. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

Before I got Sirius in Dec. 2005 I listened to Modern Rock 105.9 The Lazer in Lawrence, Kansas (Just outside Kansas City) and 96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City.

Now... I'll listen to Sports Radio 810 WHB here in Kansas City when I don't have my Sat Rad. with me. Since it is local sports talk I don't mind it.

The only other time I listen to Terr. Radio is when I'm on-air. I do sports play by play during basketball season.
  2. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

The only reason I go back to terrestrial radio is PRI, which Sirius killed off years ago :(

Need my weekly "This American Life" and "Whad'ya Know" fixes. I refuse to seek out the version that Sirius plays (or used to, anyhow) on the comedy channel at whatever dopey day and hour they put it on. :)
  3. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I haven't listened to FM in a long time, but if I did, I'd probably still be listening to Walton & Johnson in the morning. Those guys have been a fixture in New Orleans radio for a long time!
  4. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

The only terrestrial radio I ever listen to is a local sports guy named Charlie Pallilo on 790 AM in Houston. I need my Texans, Astros, and Rockets fix. But other than that, Sirius gets my full attention.
  5. ai4i

ai4i Member

We love local community stations at the top of the AM band, usually between 1610 KHz and 1700 KHz. They are so poorly set up: the audio sucks, the announcers are not even radio wannabes, and the audio loops are so uninspiring, truly a waste of property taxes.

A founding member of the local public classical music station, we occasionally tune it in, although being spoiled by XM for nearly seven years, it is difficult to tolerate the occasional pop, tst, ch-ch from this strictly analogue station. Living and Working within their secondary signal coverage area, we worry that when this rimshot station transitions to HD technology, we might not receive a solid enough signal from which to benefit.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

Glenn Beck is my favorite, More-on Trvia, and his Valentine's shows are the best.
  7. Wayne Edwards

Wayne Edwards Active Member

Or as Tom would say, "Porkland, home of the other white meat" (I'm still not sure exactly what that means...)

I agree that KLSX is about the best of the FM talk stations, and am surprised how poorly FM talk generally does all over the country (KLSX is currently #23 in the ratings). Still Howard 100 and Howard 101 take up most of my talk-listening time, especially with Howard back on fi-yah since the marriage (who would have thunk it)!

And even though I disagree with most of his views, I find Michael Savage can be pretty damn entertaining sometimes.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. ai4i

ai4i Member

From an add campaign the porque industry ran a few years back, "pork, the other white meat". We wish they would have thrown in how pigs have greater issue resolving capacities than dogs or cats and in fact have the cognitive abilities of three year old humans.
  9. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

In Boston, FM talk does quite well, with WTKK (96.9) frequently beating WRKO (680) in the ratings.
  10. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

The smarter the meat, the better the taste... mmmm... ham......
  11. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

I still listen to the KQ Morning Show here in Minneapolis, with Tom Barnard and the rest of the crew. I believe it is still the top rated morning show in any market currently.
  12. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

A great terrestrial morning show is Drew and Mike on 101 WRIF in Detroit. The guys are hilarious and have been on for like 15 years (wow, I'm getting old)
  13. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Heh - you must be getting deaf, too, as Drew has been gone for over a year :D It's just "Mike in the Morning" now.

Edit: Oh, heh - missed the Chicago connection :) Drew took time off to care for his girlfriend who had cancer, but most people also think it was a contract sit-out. He announced earlier this year, once his contract was done, that he was outta there.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  14. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

OH DUDE, that sucks.....how can you have drew without the mike? is he still doing Buttmike and Harris polls?
  15. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

correction, mike without the drew
  16. ai4i

ai4i Member

In many cases, FM stations choose talk over music because their signals are not competitive with other music stations, rimshot signals from adjacent markets and class A's, 3KW or 6 KW @ 100m or 328ft HAAT.
    The good news is that nationally, in an effort to cover their markets better, more and more AM news/talk/sports stations with nocturnal signal issues are simulcasting on HD-2s and HD-3s of co-owned FM stations.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  17. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I don't really listen enough to say for sure. A few people who are fans say that the show pretty much sucks without Drew, but I never listened enough to say for sure. (I'm a Stern guy in the AM). They held the ratings fairly well while Drew was initially out, but it looks like now that his being gone is a done deal, they may be slipping.

Drew was rumored to be working on something with Mr. Skin, but I haven't really heard anything more concrete about that in some time. Another rumor has him maybe going to one of the sports stations in town.
  18. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

that sucks...WRIF always had the best hosts. Big daddy Art P was the man
  19. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

B b b baaaaaaybaaaaay
  20. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

No wonder human meat tastes so bad!