The world according to IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In all the years I've been on this forum, I don't believe I've ever seen IRBS talk about skiing. Seems odd.
You are partially correct. IdRatherBeSkiing came from my ICQ moniker from the 90s. During the 90s, I was an avid downhill skier. I was disappointed when spring came because it meant no more skiing. I watched in anticipation the weather forecasts in November for the temperature drop and the first snow. I was a member of a ski club and if they didn't run a bus that first weekend, I drove to the local hills and was up skiing on the 2 or 3 runs they had managed to get open.

Then around 2000, I got married and had a kid. Suddenly my time was occupied and I could only do a couple of weekends a year. And of course my money was also occupied. Also a good part of skiing was the socializing with the ski bunnies which was somewhat hampered by that ring on my finger. I still did it a couple times a year until I started to get a bit out of practice and then I became overcome with fear of falling. Once that happened I was done and I sort of unofficially retired. I still think about it every now and then but the fear is still there and its been over 10 years.

And I have talked about past ski trips. They are in the preamble to a couple of songs in the 424. It shows how much you payed attention. :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I learned when I skiied out west that avalanches are bad. Never ski before they do their little morning explosives thing.

Ontario would have to actually build a real mountain to worry about them.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
When he says he pulled his chute what does that mean?

I assume it's some sort of avalanche protection system but when I hear chute I think parachute...That wouldn't really work when your standing on the ground.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

I assume it's some sort of avalanche protection system but when I hear chute I think parachute...That wouldn't really work when your standing on the ground.
I think it's like a giant pillow that keeps one from being buried.

Reactions: JHDK

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
You are partially correct. IdRatherBeSkiing came from my ICQ moniker from the 90s. During the 90s, I was an avid downhill skier. I was disappointed when spring came because it meant no more skiing. I watched in anticipation the weather forecasts in November for the temperature drop and the first snow. I was a member of a ski club and if they didn't run a bus that first weekend, I drove to the local hills and was up skiing on the 2 or 3 runs they had managed to get open.

Then around 2000, I got married and had a kid. Suddenly my time was occupied and I could only do a couple of weekends a year. And of course my money was also occupied. Also a good part of skiing was the socializing with the ski bunnies which was somewhat hampered by that ring on my finger. I still did it a couple times a year until I started to get a bit out of practice and then I became overcome with fear of falling. Once that happened I was done and I sort of unofficially retired. I still think about it every now and then but the fear is still there and its been over 10 years.

And I have talked about past ski trips. They are in the preamble to a couple of songs in the 424. It shows how much you payed attention. :)
Growing up in NJ, I didn't ski. Although I now have a niece in NJ who is pretty well-to-do with her husband and family, and they ski in NJ, NY, and PA.

When I got out of college, and started working north of Boston, the ex and I moved into a townhouse in Haverhill. We became friends with a couple who took us up to the NH and Maine mountains to ski. My best friend from college would come up every year (from NJ) to do a weekend ski trip. I did day trips with people from work, and would use discount tickets for a midweek day off. The current Mrs. Scotch grew up outside of Boston, so she's been skiing her whole life.

I have a cousin in VT that we've visited a few times, and they're near Stratton Mt. But over the last several years, we've only gone a few times, because of the other stuff we had going on. Since I've had the surgery, I'm not in a rush to go falling on my ribcage.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Anything that opens space around you in the snow is good. If you are packed tight, there is no air. The more space you can get the longer you have to get out.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Growing up in NJ, I didn't ski. Although I now have a niece in NJ who is pretty well-to-do with her husband and family, and they ski in NJ, NY, and PA.

When I got out of college, and started working north of Boston, the ex and I moved into a townhouse in Haverhill. We became friends with a couple who took us up to the NH and Maine mountains to ski. My best friend from college would come up every year (from NJ) to do a weekend ski trip. I did day trips with people from work, and would use discount tickets for a midweek day off. The current Mrs. Scotch grew up outside of Boston, so she's been skiing her whole life.

I have a cousin in VT that we've visited a few times, and they're near Stratton Mt. But over the last several years, we've only gone a few times, because of the other stuff we had going on. Since I've had the surgery, I'm not in a rush to go falling on my ribcage.
I didn't start skiing until my 30s. Growing up in Saskatchewan the opportunity for downhill skiing was limited.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Growing up in NJ, I didn't ski.

North Jersey people didn't go to The Poconos? That was a huge winter vacation destination for Philly people. My family wasn't into it so I've never skied but tons of my peers would go up there multiple time every winter.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
North Jersey people didn't go to The Poconos? That was a huge winter vacation destination for Philly people. My family wasn't into it so I've never skied but tons of my peers would go up there multiple time every winter.
Probably some do, but not us. I was 45 minutes from NYC, but 2 hours from the Poconos. My parents were from Brooklyn, so it was just something they didn't do.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A couple of weeks ago, the week that would have been our vacation, my wife got a call to come to Princess Margaret Hospital for a consult. We had no idea it was pending. I think it was asked for in the flurry of activity last spring/summer. Princess Margaret is Canada's premier Cancer hospital. Anyways this doctor wants to do radiation on my wife's brain. A preventative sweep. My wife is unsure. I am dead against it (but I don't really get a say). One of the other doctors had said there is risk of dementia made worse by an existing brain injury (the car accident from 2017 is an existing brain injury). He did not recommend. The MRI he was looking at (most recent at the time) was completely clear so this is not an attempt to control growth. In theory it is supposed to delay growth. My wife wants to chat with her cancer doctor before making any determination. She had another MRI last week and will see that doctor in April.

This past Monday I made her call her regular doctor as her fever was spiking for several days (occasional fever spikes are normal for my wife). The doctor ordered another COVID test and some X-rays. She is still negative for COVID but was diagnosed with pneumonia. She got anti-biotics and seems to be recovering slowly.

On a more positive front, I am heading to Saskatoon next week to visit my dad. It will be his 88th birthday on that Tuesday. My sister is also planning to visit. This will be the first time I have seen her since my mom's funeral. Saskatchewan has lightened up the covid rules. You can have 10 people in your house now (although this would not have stopped us). But they were never really 100% locked down since last spring. In theory we are not supposed to travel. Our idiot Prime Minister has decreed that. But he can go suck a duck.

Also on a positive note, my dad got his first dose of his covid vaccine last week. The vaccine rollout is at a snails pace up here.

• Wow
Reactions: scotchandcigar