Smith criticizes NASCAR again

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Man this fella doesn't hold back. I don't ALWAYS agree with him but I do most of the time. It's just SO NICE for a major player to not be afraid of the big bad nascar dudes and speak his mind.

Track owner Smith criticizes NASCAR again - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports

“I don’t know Carl Long, but there’s an injustice done there,” Smith said. “I hope he wins his appeal. He can’t race for 12 weeks? That’s so cruel to try to ruin this man. That would absolutely financially ruin him, and it’s just not right. I think you can prove your point a better way than that.”

One major sticking point I do have with Smith is the way Humpy Wheeler was dealt with. That just wasn't right...from what I know about the situation.

Last edited:

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
Mr. Smith is right first of all, and he just so happens to be in a "unique" situation he owns (without actually counting) somewhere around half of the tracks and races that NASCAR runs. So what are they gonna do to him, tell him to go take his tracks and go play elsewhere? NO.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Listen NASCAR had to be hard on Long.. then the Appeal process can do it's job. NASCAR has to be the bad guy.. consistently. We can argue that they aren't consistent, but since the COT has shown up they toldthe teams and have backed it up "we will hammer you" I have no problem with the penalty. We have saying in the Navy "The stupid shall be punished" it was Long who was responsible to ensre his car was 100% within the rules and it wasn't.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The appeal process cost money. Why not hand down a reasonable penelty for a back marker team...:scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Because the penalties need to be the same NO MATTER WHAT team it is.. that is the only way to be fair.. the same for EVERYONE.. Semi your idea is the same thing Tee Ball baseball leagues are doing. they don't keep score and give every team a trophy. That doesn't teach those kids anything. The rules are the rules period.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree. The sanctioning body is pathetic enough when it comes to favoring their stars. I dont care if its Carl Long, Dale Jr, or Juan Montoya. If any of them have a bigger engine then I expect a stiff penalty.

What Carl has to do it goto the engine builder and sue them for 200,000. Id be very surprised if that doesnt happen.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
Anybody hearing this interview Claire is having with Humpy right now? Interesting stuff! He said if Kentucky gets a Cup date he'll eat part of turn one there with a spoon....that's how sure he is that Bruton won't get a date there.

Last edited:

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
Heard a few callers today saying that fines ought to be levied according to "financial size" of the company being fined. Interesting thought....

Speeding tickets on the highways to everyday drivers....base the fine on income bracket. Shoot, we could apply this principle to everything in life. Definately don't want to have the same standards for everyone...gotta do it according to how much they can afford.:eek::no::rolleyes: