SL2 / Stiletto 2 - Keeping Your Portable Radio Healthy!

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
One of the leading factors that can create or provoke issue on your SL2 is to REMOVE the battery out of the device without performing a Full Shutdown.

This includes when you want to install a new MicroSD card. Hold down the Power button for 5 seconds to ensure it does not enter Sleep Mode.

Pulling the battery is bad for the device and is equivalent to shutting down your PC down every day by pulling it's power cord. It just results in problems down the road. After the device has been completely Shut Down and Rebooted it performs a file "cleanup". Pulling the battery, even while in Sleep Mode, can create Library problems and other issues discussed in the forums.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Great reminder SSF. It's also good practice to do the complete shut down (not sleep mode) on a regular basis. I usually do the full shut down 2 or 3 times a week.
(Knock on wood, I haven't had any real problems with my SL2.)

jrg

Oct 13, 2008
Sleepy Hollow
Aaaarrghh!

Funny you post; having swapped my SL1 for an SL2 three weeks ago, out of nowhere the SL2 is stuck in an endless cycle of: Dog with grey screen/Dog with dots/then "Error, Please Wait"/then "Shutting Down", and so on, again and again. I've pulled battery and waited many times, but I'm stuck. Searching here for the full reset directions, but wondering if anyone has seen this kind of cycling? Thanks.

jrg

Oct 13, 2008
Sleepy Hollow

Thanks much; three times after a full reset my SL@ returned to endless "Please Wait, Error" status, so I quickly returned to BB and got a new SL2; so far so good after seven days (I'm afraid to even say it).

May I ask, does using a Microcard increase the frequency of SL2 meltdowns? Is it more or less likely to go south with a Microcard in use. Also, does the SL2 automatically save user-loaded (as opposed to recorded from Sirius) content onto the card, or does the user have a choice where to store it? I'd like this new relationship to work, and I'm willling to go quite a distannce to keep this little tyrant happy.

PS: I saw a tip here a few weeks ago about a cheap Microcard at Staples (let me confess I can guess, but really don't even know what a Microcard particularly is, or what it should cost, or how many gigs to buy, etc.), and I'm kind of sorry I didn't run right over (assuming the answer to the above questions is you're better off with it than without it); if anyone else sees a particularly good deal and thinks to post it that would be great.

Thanks.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I saw a tip here a few weeks ago about a cheap Microcard at Staples (let me confess I can guess, but really don't even know what a Microcard particularly is, or what it should cost, or how many gigs to buy, etc.), and I'm kind of sorry I didn't run right over (assuming the answer to the above questions is you're better off with it than without it); if anyone else sees a particularly good deal and thinks to post it that would be great.

I saw the SanDisk 8GB microSDHC's on sale at a Radio shack here in SE MA today for $39. I'm tempted, but think I'll hold out a bit longer. My 4GB still has about 40% space left.

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
Taylor, I've seen some 16GB out the last time I walked through the cell phone area of the local BB. Have you heard any experiences with these cards and compatibility with the SL2?

Not that I would probably ever need that much space, the 8GB card I have in it is more then sufficient with satellite coverage on all but the longest road trips.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Taylor, I've seen some 16GB out the last time I walked through the cell phone area of the local BB. Have you heard any experiences with these cards and compatibility with the SL2?

Yes the currently 16gb microSDHC cards are compatible and do work with the SL2. We had a few users purchase them and use them on SBS and they confirmed this.

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
Yes the currently 16gb microSDHC cards are compatible and do work with the SL2. We had a few users purchase them and use them on SBS and they confirmed this.

That's great to know! 16GB would hold my entire music library. The SL2 just keeps getting better and better for what I use it for :D