Sadchild's top 333 fav songs of all ever

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Both songs come from her debut album. Wiki says that AIWD was released 2 months before LLV in mid-94, but the album was released in mid-93. So if you were listening to an AOR station, you probably heard one (or the other) much earlier.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
#217 Fleetwood Mac "Never Going Back Again"

Not only is the recording on the Rumours album magnificent, but I've had the KCRW Live On Air version since the 90s and that recording rivals the original. In fact, that recording is probably a big part of why this song ended up on the 333. I can't find the KCRW recording on YouTube unfortunately, so here's the classic album version.

Buckingham is an amazing guitarist.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Both songs come from her debut album. Wiki says that AIWD was released 2 months before LLV in mid-94, but the album was released in mid-93. So if you were listening to an AOR station, you probably heard one (or the other) much earlier.
I sometimes get messed up being in Canada. We don't always have the same release order. For example from Brothers In Arms in Canada the release order was
  • Walk of Life
  • Money For Nothing
  • So Far Away
while in the USA it appears to be
  • So Far Away
  • Money For Nothing
  • Walk of Life
But in this case, I guess I was right.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Cure Disintegration singles release order

UK/EU
1. Lullaby
2. Lovesong
3. Pictures Of You

US
1. Fascination Street
2. Lovesong
3. Lullaby
4. Pictures Of You

Def Leppard Hysteria singles release order

UK/EU
1. Animal
2. Pour Some Sugar On Me
3. Hysteria
4. Armageddon It
5. Love Bites
6. Rocket

US
1. Women
2. Animal
3. Hysteria
4. Pour Some Sugar On Me
5. Love Bites
6. Armageddon It
7. Rocket

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Cure Disintegration singles release order

UK/EU
1. Lullaby
2. Lovesong
3. Pictures Of You

US
1. Fascination Street
2. Lovesong
3. Lullaby
4. Pictures Of You

Def Leppard Hysteria singles release order

UK/EU
1. Animal
2. Pour Some Sugar On Me
3. Hysteria
4. Armageddon It
5. Love Bites
6. Rocket

US
1. Women
2. Animal
3. Hysteria
4. Pour Some Sugar On Me
5. Love Bites
6. Armageddon It
7. Rocket
Which would be the first time I’ve ever seen The Cure and Def Leppard mentioned together.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Back onto Sheryl for a minute, on Discogs I found a pic of the VHS tape that introduced me to her music....

RockVideo Monthly - March 1994 - Alternative Edition

R-1561211-1230352318.jpeg.jpg

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#215 Cat Stevens "Sad Lisa"

When I would watch my step-father play acoustic guitar and sing in the living room, I decided I wanted to be able to do that too. Once my singing voice went to crap at puberty and I realized how hard playing the acoustic well is, I switched to hard rock (less talent required, more fun involved!). But deep within my core, I still love folk pop with moving lyrics.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I’ve got mad respect for good acoustic players, Michael Hedges, Tuck Andreas, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, but I don’t really get into folk stuff. I’ve got a couple of acoustics, but don’t play them very often. Maybe it’s because of what you said about them being harder to play really well.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
#215 Cat Stevens "Sad Lisa"

When I would watch my step-father play acoustic guitar and sing in the living room, I decided I wanted to be able to do that too. Once my singing voice went to crap at puberty and I realized how hard playing the acoustic well is, I switched to hard rock (less talent required, more fun involved!). But deep within my core, I still love folk pop with moving lyrics.

Yes! That's a good one, always been one of my favorites from Cat.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I’ve got mad respect for good acoustic players, Michael Hedges, Tuck Andreas, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, but I don’t really get into folk stuff.

With rock, I dig deep to find artists that don't hit the mainstream and take rock to odd, wild places. I don't get into folk that way though, I just stick to the mainstream acoustic singer-songwriter stuff like Cat Stevens, Simon & Garkunkel, Indigo Girls... Bill Fox is probably the only exception - but even then I still prefer his poppier side. I usually find that "true"/"pure" folk songs are boring and/or weird.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
With rock, I dig deep to find artists that don't hit the mainstream and take rock to odd, wild places. I don't get into folk that way though, I just stick to the mainstream acoustic singer-songwriter stuff like Cat Stevens, Simon & Garkunkel, Indigo Girls... Bill Fox is probably the only exception - but even then I still prefer his poppier side. I usually find that "true"/"pure" folk songs are boring and/or weird.
If you want to hear some acoustic playing that will make you want to burn your acoustic guitars out of disgust for your lack of skills, listen to Tuck Andreas, Rodrigo Y Gabriela. Just damn.
#214 Kinks "Come Dancing"

Perhaps I've mentioned that I love a good story-song? I especially love how Ray Davies took something like the death of his sister - a story that's actually quiet dark and sad - and just pulled some beautiful elements out of it to honor her memory in an upbeat way.

That's another one I didn't know what it was about.
It's such a great song.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'll check out McKee for sure.

Andreas has an album called Reckless Precision that is wicked. Most if the songs were basically done in one take. He's got some albums with his wife Patti that are good too. (She's a singer.)

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#212 Cure "Lullaby"

A creepy, beautiful masterpiece written about a bedtime tale Robert Smith's uncle used to tell him about a 'spider man' who ate children. One night,, after telling the story, his uncle actually shut off the light then later crawled into Robert's bedroom through the window. "I screamed for what seemed like days."

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron